Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Moving to Austin Texas

Moving to Austin Texas

Old Feb 8th 2016, 10:36 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Austin Texas

Originally Posted by DottM
Hi! I live in Driftwood which is the next town over from dripping springs. Myself and my Wife LOVE the area and wouldn't change our decision having moved from Boston. I'm very fortunate in that I work from home but my wife commuted to downtown Austin and in peak rush hour will take 45 minutes.

If you have any questions about the area please don't hesitate to get in touch.
DottM, thanks for answering - the OP has decided on location and is about ready to move.

Maybe we can all have a coffee meet-up sometime? There are now quite a few of BE crowd in Austin.

Did you find a CPA? I asked a couple of Brit friends but didn't get anything back. I could probably put you in touch with the accountants that did our returns the year after we arrived but they were almost definitely Big 4 and expensive .
Old Feb 9th 2016, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
DottM, thanks for answering - the OP has decided on location and is about ready to move.

Maybe we can all have a coffee meet-up sometime? There are now quite a few of BE crowd in Austin.

Did you find a CPA? I asked a couple of Brit friends but didn't get anything back. I could probably put you in touch with the accountants that did our returns the year after we arrived but they were almost definitely Big 4 and expensive .
I haven't found a CPA yet. My wife has been using one for years but he's not great. He found it difficult to know what to do when she sold shares so I can only imagine the struggles now with my complexity. What do you mean by Big 4?

I'd love to meet up with a few familiar accents! It's great to see so many people are choosing Austin. We both love it here and it was everything we hoped for!
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Talahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really niceTalahouse is just really nice

Hi

Sorry so busy sorting stuff have slipped off here. Coffee would be great. We will be moving second week in March so some time after that ? Thanks for all the help here. It's good to know so many people like Austin :-)
Old Sep 30th 2016, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

jdpmurphy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Appreciate that this is an old thread but we recently moved to Austin and would be keen to meet up with fellow Brits.

Is there a regular meet-up running now?

Thanks,
James
Old Sep 30th 2016, 8:35 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

There's a Brit meet up group
http://www.meetup.com/brit-330/event...9341&https=off

My mate Simon runs it. He's really good at getting us all together. Top bloke for me right now because he's just offered me a ticket for the pet shop boys...
He's usually pretty quick at adding people to the group but if you want to go, a few of the guys are going to the theatre tomorrow ( NOT to ACL..) just pm me for the details.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Great! I've signed up to the Meetup group so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for upcoming meetups.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 4:00 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by jdpmurphy
Great! I've signed up to the Meetup group so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for upcoming meetups.
Are you coming on Saturday? Should be fun!
Old Nov 4th 2016, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

We already have plans for this Saturday unfortunately. Hope it stays dry enough for the fireworks!
Old Mar 18th 2017, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

MariaKW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello.

I see this is an old thread. I hope it is okay to bump it up.

We are moving to Austin this year. I am busy with research but hearing from people actually living there is more helpful than anything.

If anyone has any tips or useful info to share I would appreciate it. My children are 16 and 11 and helping them prepare and settle is my main concern. They have emigrated before, though, so it isn't an entirely new process for us.

OP, I assume you are in Austin and settled by now?

Many thanks,
Maria