Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Fresno (two years later)

Fresno (two years later)

Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

cloughie74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fresno (two years later)

I said state schools because 'public schools' in the UK are private schools - I edited this message because I just re-read your message and realise that your would know that!

We looked at the Carden school in Fresno when we first got here. When we pulled up there, we saw that it is comprised of two rows of shacks (literally) that I wouldn't even use as allotment sheds (LOL) and behind it, there is a massive, expensive-looking church. I may be putting two and two together and coming up with five, but if the school fees are clearly not going towards the school buildings, then they must be going somewhere else...

Last edited by cloughie74; Jul 10th 2012 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

If you struggle to get rid of your house I'll give you $50k and a wet weekend in Northern Ireland...deal?!!!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
"worst decision of my life what was I thinking to move to this armpit"
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cloughie74
Oh that's funny... The biggest shock for me was the school (everything about it) and what people feed their children here - completely opposite to the prevailing mentality in the UK about children and food. At first, I did find it refreshing I must admit (no school lunch 'police' etc) but then I realised that some of these children eat junk food/processed food for every meal, every day.
Jamie Oliver is generally believed to have sorted out the problem of alleged crap food in American schools during his foodie time over there...obviously he didn't quite make it work. He did his bit carrying the Olympic Torch when it was being relayed around Essex the other day - somewhere around Chelmsford or Harlow or some such TOWIE place down there.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Jamie Oliver is generally believed to have sorted out the problem of alleged crap food in American schools during his foodie time over there...obviously he didn't quite make it work. He did his bit carrying the Olympic Torch when it was being relayed around Essex the other day - somewhere around Chelmsford or Harlow or some such TOWIE place down there.
How could he possibly do that?

You really talk utter drivel, and your tiresome stereotypes are just pathetic.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
He tried. He failed.

Most schools that tried, reverted back.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How could he possibly do that?

You really talk utter drivel, and your tiresome stereotypes are just pathetic.
Maybe he's a magician....
Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

CherryPi is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Fresno too, coming up to my third year here. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you, I hope that whatever you decide, either to move back to the UK or to look for another location in the US, that it works out for you = )
Old Jul 11th 2012, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Found this old pic of Fresno a while back.

I tried to look up the same view today but. Sadly everything in this postcard appears to have been demolished in the name of 'progress'. If it still looked like that it might give Harrogate a run for it's money.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

That is Fresno?
It's incredible what gets destroyed in the name of 'progress' isn't it?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CherryPi
I'm in Fresno too, coming up to my third year here. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you, I hope that whatever you decide, either to move back to the UK or to look for another location in the US, that it works out for you = )
Thanks Cherrypi,
I just don't want to force myself to continue to live in a place I don't want to be - hope that makes sense?
It's actually made me appreciate the UK a lot more and not take certain things for granted, so that alone makes it worthwhile. When I talk to people back home, as I do a few times a day, every day, I just connect with them on a level that is impossible here (and I'm not just talking about family) due to cultural differences etc. I try not to be negative, but I find myself thinking negative thoughts too often here, eg, getting irritated by small things. So, it really is time to go home! Again, this is a Fresno-specific comment.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Found this old pic of Fresno a while back.

http://www.usgwarchives.org/ca/fresn...ards/marst.jpg

I tried to look up the same view today but. Sadly everything in this postcard appears to have been demolished in the name of 'progress'. If it still looked like that it might give Harrogate a run for it's money.
It looks a lot like Disney's Main Street USA in Magic Kingdom, if you replace the town hall type building at the end with the Cinderella Castle.

What does it look like now? Walmart, Macdonalds, CVS and Payday lenders?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

CherryPi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Cherrypi,
I just don't want to force myself to continue to live in a place I don't want to be - hope that makes sense?
It's actually made me appreciate the UK a lot more and not take certain things for granted, so that alone makes it worthwhile. When I talk to people back home, as I do a few times a day, every day, I just connect with them on a level that is impossible here (and I'm not just talking about family) due to cultural differences etc. I try not to be negative, but I find myself thinking negative thoughts too often here, eg, getting irritated by small things. So, it really is time to go home! Again, this is a Fresno-specific comment.
Good luck with your move back! It really is a shame that you don't feel that connection with people here, and on many levels I understand. As you said before, its hard to be the round peg trying to fit into the square hole!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:51 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Married2abrit, I have been receiving Betty's by post since moving here!
We finished off an iced fruit cake from Bettys last night and only have 2 biscuits remaining

Best wishes for your move back, glad you aren't bitter and see it as an experience rather than a huge waste of your life.