Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Brits in Boston / Eastern MA

Brits in Boston / Eastern MA

Old Apr 13th 2012, 12:05 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brits in Boston / Eastern MA

Any Brits in Boston or eastern Massachusetts (I've seen just a couple on this forum)? How have you found adjusting from old England to New England?

To any of you into football specifically, where are decent places to watch football, preferably open early enough to catch the Saturday afternoon games?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits in Boston / Eastern MA

I can't really help but theres a great group on facebook who are always doing stuff.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 12:19 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
I can't really help but theres a great group on facebook who are always doing stuff.
I know of the group, but I un-Facebook'd quite some time ago. I was going to create a new profile, but I just can't be arsed at the moment.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I know of the group, but I un-Facebook'd quite some time ago. I was going to create a new profile, but I just can't be arsed at the moment.
Aye, but it's worth it, can keep a blank profile and just subscribe to the groups for info.

I know there's a North Shore group on meetup.com mostly out of Newburyport.

Then on Facebook, there's Boston Brits and then the splinter groups of North Shore, Southie and Metrowest.

Those groups are always having some footie meet up it seems.

As for pubs, no idea out your way, but http://www.britishbeer.com/ and see if there is a BBC pub out your way as they seem to always be showing the footie and rugby.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:33 am
Banned

I would prefer to try the Facebook option as the thought of walking into a place to sociialise with people I don't know (British or not) would be a tad weird and intimidating for me. I would prefer to get to know people at least a little over the net first, then do the meet up stuff.

I'll re-register with FB over the weekend using a fake name.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of

There's a couple of bars in Quincy that do show some of the higher profile games on a Saturday plus an Irish breakfast..not definite about places in the city as I haven't tried but I've heard there's a few meet up places for fans of football and rugby. That's where the Facebook groups come in handy..there's some good (and knowledgeable ) people there.
Personally I tend to watch the 3pm GMT games at home, partly due to work commitments and not wanting to hear the older locals in bar complain they don't understand soccer and can't they switch over to the baseball highlights (??) on another channel.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Peter525839 will become famous soon enoughPeter525839 will become famous soon enough

i've lived 20 mlles south fo Boston for 30 yrs +. best football bar in Boston used to be the Phoenix in Cambridge but I havent been there for a year or so.
Last time i went was world Cup and for both the USA and Germany games the English supporters were heavily outnumbered Phoenix was mainly a hang out for Liverpool fans My fellow Villa fan ( very few of us around) lived in cambridge so that was may reason for going there. he moved awya and I tend to watch for home now I'd love to get together for the Euros though and may try Phoenix again.
Most of the Irish bars around Boston show the games I think there is a web site that lists the if you googel something like soceer bars tv.
Quincy used tio be Bad Abbots but I think that has changed hands now and definitely anti English feel when I used to go there 10 yrs + ago
I have never found an active meet up other than Boston Brits and I'm really too old for them. Lats time this thread came up the cl;osest person to me was 50 miles away in RI
Most of the british beer company pubs are south shore and cape
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:51 pm
Banned

A Villa fan, haven't met one of those in a while. Wolves fan here. Could be worse, you could be an Albion fan

I'm on the North Shore and there really isn't much here in terms of decent pubs. O'Neills of Salem is decent, but they tend to attract too many college students.

I would make the effort to go into Boston if I could find some fellow Brits to watch the Euros with, not that England have much hope! I would imagine that since there are a lot of Portuguese and Brazilian people living in this state, there ought to be regular places to hang out and watch the games. It's all Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics & Bruins here though!

Originally Posted by Peter525839
i've lived 20 mlles south fo Boston for 30 yrs +. best football bar in Boston used to be the Phoenix in Cambridge but I havent been there for a year or so.
Last time i went was world Cup and for both the USA and Germany games the English supporters were heavily outnumbered Phoenix was mainly a hang out for Liverpool fans My fellow Villa fan ( very few of us around) lived in cambridge so that was may reason for going there. he moved awya and I tend to watch for home now I'd love to get together for the Euros though and may try Phoenix again.
Most of the Irish bars around Boston show the games I think there is a web site that lists the if you googel something like soceer bars tv.
Quincy used tio be Bad Abbots but I think that has changed hands now and definitely anti English feel when I used to go there 10 yrs + ago
I have never found an active meet up other than Boston Brits and I'm really too old for them. Lats time this thread came up the cl;osest person to me was 50 miles away in RI
Most of the british beer company pubs are south shore and cape
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
...I would imagine that since there are a lot of Portuguese and Brazilian people living in this state, there ought to be regular places to hang out and watch the games....
They tend to hang out amongst themselves at home...
Old Jun 21st 2012, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Peter525839 will become famous soon enoughPeter525839 will become famous soon enough

England game Sunday. Facebook group Boston Brits watching the game at The Greatest Bar near the Boston Garden. good crowd going
Parade to North End when? we win.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:08 pm
Banned

Too late LOL...I am a long way from Boston now.