Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Plano, Texas?

Any Brits in Plano, Texas?

Old Mar 31st 2009, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Joanne28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Brits in Plano, Texas?

Hi. I just moved to Plano, Texas in March of 2009, and was wondering if anyone knows of any Plano-based British expat meet up groups. If not, are there any other Brits in the area...?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits in Plano, Texas?

Hi - welcome to BE!

I'm in Plano - moved here last July from Bournemouth with my husband and 11 year old son. How are you finding things since the move?

There is a Dallas based British expats group on meetup.com - I joined a while ago but have not been to any of the meetups yet. Also, just today I had an email to say a guy had started up a Plano British expats group on meetup.

Rebecca
Old Apr 1st 2009, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Joanne28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, thanks for the meetup.com info. I just joined the Plano group.

As I'm sure you know, Texas is quite different to the UK, but things are going okay, so far. However, its going to take a long time to get used to all the driving... And that's in addition to the added stress of having to sit a US test at some point.

How have you found Plano? Do you have any recommendations for someone new to the area?

Joanne
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

david-p is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to Texas in 2006 and am living east of Denton.

David
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

jetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud of

I'm not there yet, but hopefully later this year I'll be in Dallas...melting...
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetbedlam
I'm not there yet, but hopefully later this year I'll be in Dallas...melting...
Lol! We arrived last year on 5th July, just at the start of a run of 100F+ weather. Quite an introduction!

When are you planning to arrive?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Joanne28
Hey, thanks for the meetup.com info. I just joined the Plano group.

As I'm sure you know, Texas is quite different to the UK, but things are going okay, so far. However, its going to take a long time to get used to all the driving... And that's in addition to the added stress of having to sit a US test at some point.

How have you found Plano? Do you have any recommendations for someone new to the area?

Joanne
Don't fret about the driving test - it really is extremely easy. I've never been a particularly confident driver, but it was a breeze. Just read the booklet beforehand as you're bound to get questions on the fines for drink driving etc.

Someone suggested to us to go to McKinney to take the test rather than Plano as the DPS office is a much quieter one. That's what we did.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

jetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud ofjetbedlam has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rebs
Lol! We arrived last year on 5th July, just at the start of a run of 100F+ weather. Quite an introduction!

When are you planning to arrive?
We're still waiting to hear about the fiance visa at the moment, but the (vague) plan is to get married sometime Sept-Nov all being well with the visa of course.

Even if I get the visa earlier we don't want to get married earlier than Sept as we're doing it outside and the Scottish contingent might die!! So, basically, the earliest I'd be there is probably Aug, which is throwing myself right in there!!!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes - having the wedding in the height of summer could well be considered cruel & unnatural punishment for your Scottish visitors!

Where abouts in Scotland are you? I lived in the North East of Scotland when I was in my teens / early twenties.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

I live in Edinburgh now but I'm from Forres originally (well, I went to school there but my folks kinda live between towns in the country so I guess I'm almost Highland!)
Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE. we're not in Plano, but just west of Fort Worth so not too far away in the grand scheme of things...hope you're having fun !
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:14 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

fingers crossed my H1B is approved, if it is I'll be moving to north Dallas later in the year

...quite nervous about the driving tho, I've driven on the Dallas before and was a bit traumatised after it- no one told me you are allowed to make a right turn when the light is at red!!! needless to say the locals soon put me right
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:42 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Plano for 6 years now. Arrived on an H1-B back in 2003, and now we're here for good!

The place is crawling with Brits, but I'm not aware of any expat "groups" as such. We have met most of our Brit friends by just bumping into them at school, childrens' activities, the grocery store etc...

Hell, even the Hispanic lady out my company canteen's checkout said to me yesterday "There's 4 people in the building now who speak funny like you!"
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbj1000
We've been in Plano for 6 years now. Arrived on an H1-B back in 2003, and now we're here for good!

The place is crawling with Brits, but I'm not aware of any expat "groups" as such. We have met most of our Brit friends by just bumping into them at school, childrens' activities, the grocery store etc...

Hell, even the Hispanic lady out my company canteen's checkout said to me yesterday "There's 4 people in the building now who speak funny like you!"
You're dead right about plenty of Brits around - one of our neighbours who had children at the same school as my son is British. We generally find that as soon as we start talking to each other when we are out, people strike up conversations with us - we actually bumped into a guy the other day who had worked with my brother in law in the UK!
Old May 3rd 2009, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

jannycrest is an unknown quantity at this point

I may not be British but I live in Texas. Welcome in the Lone Star State, and enjoy the summer heat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.