Go Back  British Expats > General > Media Requests
Reload this Page >

Have you moved to an exotic location and living a TOTALLY different life?

Have you moved to an exotic location and living a TOTALLY different life?

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

HannahL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have you moved to an exotic location and living a TOTALLY different life?

Hi everyone,

I am a producer in the development department of a TV documentary company in London and I am putting together a brief document about case studies of British couples and families who have left the UK for a TOTALLY new life abroad. I am looking for fun, exciting, aspirational stories from outside Europe where people really have left their 9-5pm jobs and England surburia life for something something completey new- whether that be running an organic farm in Peru, or coffee plantation in Columbia or starting a water sports company in Dubai, building a family run golf course in south Africa, or have built a boutique hotel in Belize or are now running an adventure retreat in a jungle!

At this early stage of development, I am only looking for written accounts and there is no obligation at all of being on TV.

This may not be exactly you, but you may know someone who fits the bill, so I'd love to hear a few words about their adventure. Any guidance even if it's just a few sentences of stories that you know would be fabulous.

You can contact me at [email protected] or (London) 020 7907 0873.

All the best,

Hannah

(Reading stories about people is really making me want to get up and leave London!)
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:30 am
Just Joined

helenm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have you moved to an exotic location and living a TOTALLY different life?

Hi,

We have recently moved from Bristol, given up our 9 - 5 jobs there to start a new life in Hamilton, New Zealand. May not be as exciting as what you had hoped as we have not started up an exciting new business or anything but have had lots of general traumas building up new lives here. Its definitely not easy to just up sticks and go like previously thought. I have found work here easily as a physio but its a completely different story for my partner. He is now doing volunteer work just to keep him sane!!!

We would be happy to help you out by sharing our experiences etc if you think it would be useful.

Regards,

Helen
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Matt J is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Have you moved to an exotic location and living a TOTALLY different life?

Hi,
I moved to California from Reading in 2001.
Nowadays I live in the central Oregon town of Bend and am setting up a street vending food business selling curried chicken and beef pita wraps.
I don't know about exotic, but this part of the world has amazing scenery in the form of snow capped volcanoes, lava fields,beautiful lakes and rivers and great craft brewed ales! Not to mention over 300 sunny days annually.
Not a bad place to live for a while.
Matt.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

vinoqueen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Have you moved to an exotic location and living a TOTALLY different life?

Hi there,

I moved to Dubai in 1997 to work as cabin crew with Emirates Airlines, I met my now husband later that year. We have since moved from Dubai (after 7 fab years) first to New Jersey with our little girl, after 18 months we moved to Scottsdale, AZ. My husband has since resigned from his 'career' with a well known global toy company. We are staying in the UK at the moment and will be moving to Moscow soon as he has secured a position with a 'local' company with potential.
We may not be totally changing our lives with his work but I do think that Russia is a huge move indeed. A very up and coming place with a very bad rep at the moment. It will be a challenge to say the least to settle there with a 4 year old and the language will be a hurdle too!

Kind Regards

Donna
XXXX