What are your weaknesses?

Old Jun 9th 2012, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your weaknesses?

Originally Posted by The Dean
It's illegal.
in which jurisdiction? As far as I know, it's not illegal anywhere - you just open yourself up to being sued.

Many places these days will not given reference anyway - just simply confirm dates of employment and maybe answer the question 'would you employ this person again?'
Old Jun 9th 2012, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I always was told its illegal but actually just think its bad etiquette. But surely you would secure someone as a referee before you put their details down? I've been asked before and said no to being a referee when I knew I couldn't write a positive thing about them other than they were punctual. I always think its the things you dont say that is more telling in a reference than whats written in one.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I do bucket loads of referencing and you'd be amazed the things people say, and how asking a sensible question will get you a different answer. eg;

"Is he a good PM?"
"Yeah"

OR

"Can he run this AED500m highways job as number one, it's been designed (mostly) and is on site next week, can he get it finished on time/budget, keep the client happy and act as the standalone numero uno?"
"No ****ing chance"
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:46 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

references are a waste of time, I always give the most glowing reports for the worst guys. Get them quickly employed somewhere else and ****ing up someone else's company.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
references are a waste of time, I always give the most glowing reports for the worst guys. Get them quickly employed somewhere else and ****ing up someone else's company.
Quite.............

In any case, if he/she wants to move on (and won't be undermining your own company), why deny him/her the opportunity?
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:08 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

"You'll be very lucky if you can get this man to work for you."
-When she opens her mouth, it seems that this is only to change whichever foot was previously in there.

- He has carried out each and every one of his duties to his entire satisfaction.

- He would be out of his depth in a car park puddle.

- Technically sound, but socially impossible.

- This man reminds me very much of a gyroscope always spinning around at a frantic pace, but not really going anywhere.

- This young lady has delusions of adequacy.

- When he joined my company, this man was something of a granny; since then he has aged considerably.

- Since my last report he has reached rock bottom, and has started to dig.

- She sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them.

- He has the wisdom of youth, and the energy of old age.

- This man should go far - and the sooner he starts, the better.

- Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a trap

- This man is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.

- This man is so dense he bends light.

Last edited by mikewot; Jun 10th 2012 at 10:09 am. Reason: Missed one
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:45 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot

- Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a trap
Accurate description of 50% of my co-workers
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:39 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

It's illegal.
No it's not. The problem is that it leaves your employer open to an action for libel if you day something derogatory which you can't substantiate, or--equally--something good which you can't substantiate (and a future employer uses that as a basis on which to employ). That's why nearly all employers will now only confirm the simple facts: duration of employment and position.

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Jun 13th 2012 at 7:42 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
No it's not. The problem is that it leaves your employer open to an action for libel if you day something derogatory which you can't substantiate, or--equally--something good which you can't substantiate (and a future employer uses that as a basis on which to employ). That's why nearly all employers will now only confirm the simple facts: duration of employment and position.
I couldn't agree more
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EastWest
Hi folks

This question is being asked sometimes in job interviews: what are your weaknesses?
How would you answer this question?
Its about being honest I found out..had a job interview on Tuesday, came away with superb marks..Being able to tell them in humility you are grumpy in the morning, or say yes, or whatever just proves you have a bit of personal insight..They're just looking for someone with a decent social intelligence.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Its about being honest I found out..had a job interview on Tuesday, came away with superb marks..Being able to tell them in humility you are grumpy in the morning, or say yes, or whatever just proves you have a bit of personal insight..They're just looking for someone with a decent social intelligence.
'... with superb 'marks'...'?

How do you know? Did they tell you? What sort of 'marks'?
Old Jun 15th 2012, 8:34 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

'... with superb 'marks'...'?

How do you know? Did they tell you? What sort of 'marks'?
footprints on his arse probably...
Old Jun 15th 2012, 8:35 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Still in Norway or moving already?
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:42 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I think it's a valid question, and I use it in interviews. But all it does is identify those who have no ability to reflect on themselves: I don't want to work with people like that (unfortunately I do but I didn't recruit them). With respect to those who come up with something plausible and sensible, it's nigh-on impossible to know if they're being honest or sophisticated, but at least they understand the concept.