Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is it like working for them?

What is it like working for them?

Old Aug 31st 2015, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Castle Combe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is it like working for them?

I'm in dilemma and might need input from members. I've been doing International Investment consulting (business intelligence, market entry etc) for a friend who is some sort of a "grey eminence" for one of of the Saudi prince who's higher up on the food chain. The gentleman has done fairly well for himself as he owns a house second street from where his employers live in Central London and I know the house is not cheap to say the least.

Now he would like to retain me on permanent basis to assist him his official role is managing the Prince's holding company which is truly global. While on the other-hand I could just work with holding company at my current role while maintaining my independence.

I've asked for sometime to think of the offer. But before I commit, I would like to know how is it like to work for these Princes and what should I expect (do's and dont's).

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it like working for them?

I think you need to ask an international investment consultant.

Expect to be on call 24/7, paid well and blamed for anything that goes wrong. Probably not much different that being an international investment consultant. Stay independent unless the money really is a big kick.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think you need to ask an international investment consultant.

Expect to be on call 24/7, paid well and blamed for anything that goes wrong. Probably not much different that being an international investment consultant. Stay independent unless the money really is a big kick.
Thanks Millhouse,

This explains why the guy lives few clocks away from them and why he bought a 7 figure house.

As far as being on call 24/7 that is not a problem considering I'm currently working round the clock even though I still manage my time. The guy complained that every time he wants to take a holiday they would pump more money just to keep you around.

I wonder if the job will go beyond the normal job description. I should emphasise that they do spend most of their time in Britain unless weather is really awful.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Castle Combe
I'm in dilemma and might need input from members. I've been doing International Investment consulting (business intelligence, market entry etc) for a friend who is some sort of a "grey eminence" for one of of the Saudi prince who's higher up on the food chain. The gentleman has done fairly well for himself as he owns a house second street from where his employers live in Central London and I know the house is not cheap to say the least.

Now he would like to retain me on permanent basis to assist him his official role is managing the Prince's holding company which is truly global. While on the other-hand I could just work with holding company at my current role while maintaining my independence.

I've asked for sometime to think of the offer. But before I commit, I would like to know how is it like to work for these Princes and what should I expect (do's and dont's).

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
I think it would be unbelievably fascinating but fraught with frustrations, changed minds, babysitting and annoyance.

One the other hand, there'll be people you interact with that will be most fascinating, interesting, intelligent and wise.

What's the worst that could happen? Bummed and killed?
Old Aug 31st 2015, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are based in Saudi Arabia it could be quite tricky. Base yourself in London and you would have a bit more freedom.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

I'm based in London and from the look of things they're running their International Business operations from London. I'm more comfortable in the UK tbh
Old Aug 31st 2015, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I think it would be unbelievably fascinating but fraught with frustrations, changed minds, babysitting and annoyance.

One the other hand, there'll be people you interact with that will be most fascinating, interesting, intelligent and wise.

What's the worst that could happen? Bummed and killed?

Old Aug 31st 2015, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The title of the thread "...working for them" gives away your position vis-à-vis your employers.

"THEM"