Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Termination of Contract Advise

Termination of Contract Advise

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:55 pm
GMG
Just Joined

GMG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Termination of Contract Advise

I have recently returned to the Uk having been employed in the position of Commercial Manager in Abu Dhabi.
My Contract commenced in January 2009 and was for 3 years.
Upon arriving back in the UAE from holiday in August 2010 I was asked to report to HR and was handed an envelope which stated 'It is regrettable that your services are no longer required'.
I had no consultation, discussion nor explanation on same.
I did receive 2 months benefits per my Contracted period of Notice but, the Company refused to pay my wife's airfare home despite my Contract
being married status and they also deducted 3months lease costs for the lease period remaining after my 2 months notice.
Does anybody have some knowledge on the Labour Law and whether or not they could do this, and, do I have any recourse on anything through the Ministry of Labour. Also if there is any recourse could I employ a solicitor/lawyer in Abu Dhabi who would pursue things for me?
Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

txgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nice
Default Re: Termination of Contract Advise

i dont have any advise, just wanted to say so sorry that happened to you...bastards!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GMG
I have recently returned to the Uk having been employed in the position of Commercial Manager in Abu Dhabi.
Upon arriving back in the UAE from holiday in August 2010 I was asked to report to HR and was handed an envelope which stated 'It is regrettable that your services are no longer required'.
I did receive 2 months benefits per my Contracted period of Notice but, the Company refused to pay my wife's airfare home despite my Contract
being married status and they also deducted 3months lease costs for the lease period remaining after my 2 months notice.
Does anybody have some knowledge on the Labour Law and whether or not they could do this, and, do I have any recourse on anything through the Ministry of Labour. Also if there is any recourse could I employ a solicitor/lawyer in Abu Dhabi who would pursue things for me?
Thanks
Much of this depends on the specific wording in your contract. If that covered repatriation for your wife, then you were entitled to it, but labour law applies to the employee only.

If the employer terminates a limited contract, which is what you appear to have had, for reasons other than those specified in Article 120 of the Law, the employer is liable to pay compensation based on your salary for three months or for the remainder of the contract, whichever is less.

If you have been treated unfairly and contract terms were broken you have the right to make a complaint at the Ministry of Labour. You could employ a lawyer but that would be very expensive and not worth it for the amounts in question.

(And yes, I do have good knowledge of labour law & provide advice on it)
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:58 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GMG
Thanks
Phone MoL directly, they're actually very helpful. However, given that they've treated you semi-reasonably in terms of payment you may have a hard time. By the looks of it all you're claiming is your wife's airfare?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:10 am
GMG
Just Joined

GMG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
Much of this depends on the specific wording in your contract. If that covered repatriation for your wife, then you were entitled to it, but labour law applies to the employee only.

If the employer terminates a limited contract, which is what you appear to have had, for reasons other than those specified in Article 120 of the Law, the employer is liable to pay compensation based on your salary for three months or for the remainder of the contract, whichever is less.

If you have been treated unfairly and contract terms were broken you have the right to make a complaint at the Ministry of Labour. You could employ a lawyer but that would be very expensive and not worth it for the amounts in question.

(And yes, I do have good knowledge of labour law & provide advice on it)
Many thanks for that. Was not just my wife's airfare, was also the 3months lease costs which were substantial. My Contract only states they would seek to recover lease payments should I have terminated my Contract. I was also under immpression (maybe wrongly) they would require some justification to terminate my Contract.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:53 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GMG
Many thanks for that. Was not just my wife's airfare, was also the 3months lease costs which were substantial. My Contract only states they would seek to recover lease payments should I have terminated my Contract. I was also under immpression (maybe wrongly) they would require some justification to terminate my Contract.
They don't need to give a reason, but are required to stick to the law. Unless your contract stated that your wife's airfare is paid by them, you have no claim, as the law states that they are only required to repatriate you to place of employment. if it's in the contract, and contract terms exceed labour law minimums, then the contract is legally binding. If they have contravened contract terms regarding rental payments, then you have a case.

Good luck!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like one of those shit lump sum contracts where you are responsible for the lease but in acuality the company pays up front and then deducts from your salary.

Hope people take notice who are about to embark on something similar.

Good luck with your challenge and hope you get something back matey