Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Teaching Opportunities in Abu Dhabi

Teaching Opportunities in Abu Dhabi

Old Oct 2nd 2016, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

ldnfintech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching Opportunities in Abu Dhabi

Hi BE folks,

I'd like to get your thoughts please.

I am a British citizen married to an Indian who is currently with me in London. My wife has teaching experience for ~9 years at one of the top primary schools in India. She is currently working towards her teaching qualifications/certifications here in the UK. I have been made an offer with a company in Abu Dhabi, and we shall move sometime in mid-2017.

1. Would international schools in AD even consider interviewing my wife for a teaching position?
2. I have read in the forum and heard from friends that there is a huge difference in salary structures between teachers from India and those from the West. Presumably as my wife is an Indian passport holder, she'll fall into the non-western teacher category?
3. My wife is a smart lady (has three masters degrees, that's right!!) - so would she be effectively sidelined from prime teaching roles due to her current nationality? What about opportunities outside at vocational schools or at universities?
4. Of course, my wife would be living with me whilst working at a local/international school. So, would schools provide housing allowance as cash-in-hand or would she effectively forfeit her allowance?
5. Would you think that we should try the private sector instead?

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching Opportunities in Abu Dhabi

My experience was primarily in Saudi Arabia and not in the UAE. What you have heard is correct. It would be difficult for your wife to find a job in an "international" or "Western" school. Apartheid rules.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
My experience was primarily in Saudi Arabia and not in the UAE. What you have heard is correct. It would be difficult for your wife to find a job in an "international" or "Western" school. Apartheid rules.
Hi scot47

Was afraid I'd hear that - but c'est la vie! Sigh!

Thanks for your views.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

There are Indian schools in all the Gulf countries staffed by Indian citizens. I knew the one in Jeddah. It had a good reputation but I suspect the salaries were quite low. I imagine that is also the cae in the UAE. there are also in allk the Gulf States a number of private schools catering for the children of non-Khaleejis.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
There are Indian schools in all the Gulf countries staffed by Indian citizens. I knew the one in Jeddah. It had a good reputation but I suspect the salaries were quite low. I imagine that is also the cae in the UAE. there are also in allk the Gulf States a number of private schools catering for the children of non-Khaleejis.
Hi scot47

Any good websites, recruitment agencies you reckon I can contact to inquire more about such opportunities?

Thanks