Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Received job offer letter but no contract - is this normal?

Received job offer letter but no contract - is this normal?

Old Dec 26th 2019, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Jonasdeep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Received job offer letter but no contract - is this normal?

Hi there was looking for some advice on my situation. I'm from the UK and have received a job offer letter for a position at a hospital in Dubai. The job offer letter covers the salary and job description.

I was told I would only receive a written contract once I arrive in the UAE which would cover all the terms and conditions of my employment. Is this normal to only receive a contract after arriving and starting the job?
I've been told the allowances I would get for accomodation etc verbally, and that it's a government policy and its what I will be entitled to for my position.

I know the company is legit as I have met their recruiter in person and my current company in the UK has had training links with them previously

Old Dec 27th 2019, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Received job offer letter but no contract - is this normal?

Might be for Dubai, but probably not for say, jobs in UK or US.

Most employment letters state what benefits are included, specific terms and conditions attached to the job, additional entitlements etc..... Usually for people moving overseas for a job, it would state what housing, travel and other expenses you could expect for the initial move.

Personally, I would not move myself and family to Dubai unless I had all the information regarding the above.... bit late if you get there and some aspects of the job/situation are just not suitable for you. Also verbal statements regarding anything cannot be pursued from a legal viewpoint if they don't materialise.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Not all offer letters state what benefits are included etc. Many employers do a basic offer letter then later raise a contract with all the important info in
As you are abroad i would ask for a copy of the contract prior to arrival. I would want to go through it prior to getting on a plane.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

It can be normal, yes.

Remember the Middle Eastern view of contracts, and the Western view of contracts, is completely different as are viewpoints about employment law. The Emiratis who worked in my organisation did not receive contracts, ever.

By law they have to provide you with accommodation, either something they have on their own or an allowance for you to find something, so don't worry about that. My organisation did not allow you to keep any excess in the allowance if you found your own place and they dealt with all the money on that.

You 'sign your contract' the moment you get stamped in through immigration on your work visa.

If your current organisation has links, ask for the contact info of a westerner in Dubai working for them there, contact them and ask them what is normal for this particular organisation.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Bcsale369 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carcajou
It can be normal, yes.

Remember the Middle Eastern view of contracts, and the Western view of contracts, is completely different as are viewpoints about employment law. The Emiratis who worked in my organisation did not receive contracts, ever.

By law they have to provide you with accommodation, either something they have on their own or an allowance for you to find something, so don't worry about that. My organisation did not allow you to keep any excess in the allowance if you found your own place and they dealt with all the money on that.

You 'sign your contract' the moment you get stamped in through immigration on your work visa.

If your current organisation has links, ask for the contact info of a westerner in Dubai working for them there, contact them and ask them what is normal for this particular organisation.
I assume that means one should not resign their current job without having a fully cleared visa?
Old Feb 8th 2021, 12:05 pm
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

It happens in this region. I only signed after I moved over. To be safe, perhaps move your family over later...