Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Re: Sharjah - What's it really like to live there?

Re: Sharjah - What's it really like to live there?

Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Amy_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Sharjah - What's it really like to live there?

Hello everyone,
i am new here. Does anyone know about the hiring timeline at the University of Sharjah for Assistant Professor positions?
I applied there in Feb. When should i expect to hear from them (if i would of course)?
Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sharjah - What's it really like to live there?

Please be patient, patient and patient with UoS, which is certainly not that organised like the British universities. It usually takes them 4 - 6 weeks to shortlist some potential candidates for an interview. Unfortunately it is a kind of culture in the Middle East that they will be in touch with those who are shortlisted only. I think if you have not heard anything from them by the end of March, you'd better send an e-mail or phone up the Dean or Chairperson of the Department. After the interview, a selection panel might choose two most appropriate candidates and let the College/University Council make a decision. Then they will pass on the result to HR and contact the person to discuss a contract. Can you wait at least 3 - 6 months to get the final result?
Old Mar 16th 2015, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Amy_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wwinit
Please be patient, patient and patient with UoS, which is certainly not that organised like the British universities. It usually takes them 4 - 6 weeks to shortlist some potential candidates for an interview. Unfortunately it is a kind of culture in the Middle East that they will be in touch with those who are shortlisted only. I think if you have not heard anything from them by the end of March, you'd better send an e-mail or phone up the Dean or Chairperson of the Department. After the interview, a selection panel might choose two most appropriate candidates and let the College/University Council make a decision. Then they will pass on the result to HR and contact the person to discuss a contract. Can you wait at least 3 - 6 months to get the final result?
Thank you wwinit for your response. I assume i could wait, as long as i do not get an offer at some other place in the meanwhile.
I have a Ph.D from the States and have teaching experience prior to that (two years teaching specifically what they are asking for but prior to my Ph.D) and 4 years of teaching throughout my Ph.D, again in the area/sub-specialty they are asking for. Would that count towards experience? They were asking for two year teaching experience in their post.

Thank you
Old Mar 17th 2015, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

In this region, a person with a Master's degree (or even with a PhD in some areas) is usually employed as a lab demonstrator or lecturer with limited teaching workload. They prefer to count the teaching experience when he or she starts an academic career with a PhD and/or assistant professorship. However, in your case it depends on their judgments. For your monthly basic salary, they certainly look at your passport (or nationality), experience after the PhD (in years), and specialty/sub-specialty.