Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Qatar Gas job offer--any good?

Qatar Gas job offer--any good?

Old Apr 15th 2014, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Heatchallenged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar Gas job offer--any good?

Hi,

I have 10 yrs in the field and a masters degree. The field is training management.

They are offering 238,000/yr, plus:
100% accommodation
100% tuition (we have 2 kids)
Health care
Return plane tickets every year
Furniture grant (1 time)
Recreation allowance

Nothing about transportation mentioned.

I have no idea what kind of accommodation they have in mind; I would find out later if I want to take it to the next step.

I make $USD100k right now, so this is lower, however, with no Qatar income tax, it works out to be the same salary. Of course, paid housing would be about $20k difference to the positive.

What are your thoughts on the package above for a family of 4? Both kids are in grade 3 elementary.

I am not sure if my wife could find work there or not. Thoughts on that?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

cheers!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 2:12 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar Gas job offer--any good?

Are you American? Cos they have complicated tax rules.

Qatar gas are a good company but they don't always give multiple entry/exit visas automatically.

238k/yr plus extras is a reasonable package.

Transport is normally only set out in packages separately if you are expected to use a car a lot (e.g. visiting clients, construction sites etc). For large National & Independent Oil/Gas companies, they have company pool cars that you can use for work business, so you are often expected to find your own car for private transport. Some of the service providers provide a company car for your full time use that you can use at home as well as go visit clients.

Also O/G companies have fixed salary grades for each position, with some flexibility surrounding what they offer within the grade. It sounds like they offered you what you told them you earned (oops).

Whether you go through an agent or the employer directly, you may want to ask them how much flexibility there is in the 238k as there is a lot of family upheaval for what is basically the same after-tax salary and so the offer is a little disappointing.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:23 am
Just Joined

bolt is an unknown quantity at this point

this is a typical offer from QG, but it depends where you will be working, in Head Office or Ras Laffan

Position (AS APPLICABLE FOR YOU)
Status Married
Contract Type Indefinite
Basic Salary Qrs.
Transport Allowance Qrs. 2,000 /- (per month)
Location Allowance (While based at Ras Laffan) Qrs. 1,154 / - (per month)
Commuting Allowance (While based at Ras Laffan) Qrs. 1,600 / - (per month)
Total amount per month Qrs.
Housing Housing will be provided by the Company with AC units, Curtains and kitchen items (Refrigerator, Freezer and Cooking range).
Electricity & Water Subsidized by the Company as per policy
Children's Education Provided as per company policy
Medical Facility Available in Doha and Plant Area plus normal insurance coverage per policy.
Recreation Facility Available in the Housing community.
Leave Entitlement 37 working days within each calendar year
Airfare (per annum) Employee, wife and up to four dependant children staying in Qatar, at 3M IATA Excursion rate annually to point of origin. For single status two annual return flights re offered.
Interest free car Loan Facility Qrs.55,000/- or 5 months basic salary whichever is higher (The loan is to be repaid in monthly installments over a period of 36 months).
Furniture Grant Qrs.55,000/- for married status and Qrs.33,000/- for single status (The amount will be depreciated over three years).
Shipment of household effects 600kgs for employee and wife plus 20kg for each dependent child.
Annual Performance Bonus End of each calendar year, according to Company policy.
End of Service Benefit One month basics salary per year of service.
Compassionate Leave Leave granted to the employee in emergency situations involving serious illness or accident to dependents, parents, brother or sister, or mother- or father-in-law of an employee.
Life & Accident Insurance Scheme Qatargas Life and Accident, Insurance Scheme takes effect from the day the employee is engaged, provided he meets the physical requirements of the insurers.
Risk Benefits
Death from natural causes 3 years basic salary.
Accidental death 3 years basic salary.
Permanent total disability 3 years basic salary.
Permanent partial disability Percentage of 3 years basic salary.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Man I should had tried applying there...