Pre-offer - help

Old Dec 18th 2014, 9:24 am
Just Joined

callmenigel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre-offer - help

Hi peeps...

Sorry to start like this but I need some advise.

I've been selected for job with Emirates as a EK.07 grade IT role. Before they fly me out for the assessment interview in Dubai they have said if asked if I accept what has been offered.

So here it goes: - Im 26 married with a 16 month old. I'm earning £21,500GBP p.a. here in the UK. We not that much out going but do like going to a restaurant every 2/3 weeks paying £30/£40.

The terms states:
Base Salary -7000AED
Accommodation - 5100
Transport - Single shift 485 - split shift 735 (no idea what this means?)
Ticket - one per year for me spouse and kid
Med Insurance - cat B - cover provided for me. - Family: mandatory, premium paid

Please advise. Much appreciated.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre-offer - help

The economics won't work for you. You need at least double the whole package.

split shift is terrible. I would guess it would be 8-1pm, then 4pm-8pm
Old Dec 18th 2014, 9:57 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

You will spend more than your salary on nursery school fees in a years time.
You will live in a grotty 1 bed flat in a bad part of town on that rental allowance.
It's not worth it for you all. What is free or cheap in the UK is expensive in the Middle East, eg transport, schooling etc
Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Many thanks - that's what I was thinking. Should I negotiate or plain simply just say no? I asked the HR lady about schooling costs and she said no schooling costs until a Level 08.

Is there a site I could see apartments for the allowance I have? Just so I can show the mrs hey look do you really want to move her.

And the Split shift is appalling! He didn't mention any such thing in the pre-screening interview. Should I go back to the Manager that took my interview or the HR person?

Thanks
Old Dec 19th 2014, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Walk away.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future

Working in IT for Emirates has a reputation of being a lot like working in an Indian IT shop. If that sounds great, go for it, although even Indian IT shops in the UAE should be expected to pay more than that for an experienced UK candidate.

If that doesn't sound so great, as others have said, walk away and don't look back.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by callmenigel
Hi peeps...

I've been selected for job with Emirates as a EK.07 grade IT role. Before they fly me out for the assessment interview in Dubai they have said if asked if I accept what has been offered.

So here it goes: - Im 26 married with a 16 month old. I'm earning £21,500GBP p.a. here in the UK. We not that much out going but do like going to a restaurant every 2/3 weeks paying £30/£40.

The terms states:
Base Salary -7000AED
Accommodation - 5100
Med Insurance - cat B - cover provided for me. - Family: mandatory, premium paid

Have a look on here...

Dubizzle Dubai | Villas & Apartments for Rent in Dubai, UAE
Old Dec 20th 2014, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Hi peeps...

The terms states:
Base Salary -7000AED
Accommodation - 5100

The role I applied to as a junior is paying 30,000 AED a month basic.. That's for 2-3 years experience.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 11:59 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Basic or all inclusive?
Basic +++ at 30k is great for only 2-3 yrs experience.
All inclusive is ok if you don't have kids.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for your input. I've got back to them saying I can't accept an offer as it doesn't represent my years of experience and degree and qualifications.? And to be honest I can walk and say no because I do have a job here in the UK and there is no rush in me moving out and accepting this job.

The role title is 'Senior Support Engineer' so would've thought they would've a good package but wow 30k basic is awesome!! Are they recruiting any more people

Which companies would pay for British expats for IT Support/Incident Management? I'm currently working with NHS doing dedicated VIPS support and major incidents management. I do understand most companies in Middle Eat employ Indians etc but would the high ends companies recruit British?

Thanks as always.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 10:54 pm
womble

No. Almost everyone uses Indian labour, because you can get 5 for the price of 1 Brit.
That's why there are very few mechanical diggers but thousands of guys with picks and shovels.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 6:55 am
Just Joined

Make sense. Guess they're wanting to save money. Emirates got back to em saying:

'If you could let me know what your expectations would be regarding base salary then I can review and see what I can do to try and increase it from the salary offered. All other aspects of the terms & conditions are non-negotiable.

One thing to note though with Emirates, is that we offer a range of non-cash benefits which other companies and organisations do not, including the flight and travel concessions.'

How high should I go with regards to the base salary then?

Thanks
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks for your input. I've got back to them saying I can't accept an offer as it doesn't represent my years of experience and degree and qualifications.? And to be honest I can walk and say no because I do have a job here in the UK and there is no rush in me moving out and accepting this job.

The role title is 'Senior Support Engineer' so would've thought they would've a good package but wow 30k basic is awesome!! Are they recruiting any more people

Which companies would pay for British expats for IT Support/Incident Management? I'm currently working with NHS doing dedicated VIPS support and major incidents management. I do understand most companies in Middle Eat employ Indians etc but would the high ends companies recruit British?

Thanks as always.
Mine is a geology role. Iv also 10 years management experience too.. But with the price of oil I wouldn't be surprised if the role is put on hold indefinitely now! Guess I'm in aberdeen for a bit longer!
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Oh I see, I thought it was IT, lol i'm sure you'll be shipped ouyt to the Middle East soon with your years of experience.

Any advise with regards to how high I should reply back to Emirates for?

Thanks
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 11:28 am
Just Joined

So quick update asked for basic 15k declined and said maximum i can give is 8.5k! Not replied back, but should I say another amount or just say '#@$% you' nicely

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.