Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Potential Job in Ruwais Area

Potential Job in Ruwais Area

Old Oct 12th 2020, 11:40 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 3
HomerSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential Job in Ruwais Area

My username will probably give away what sector I am working in. I have some brief Middle East experience from a few months working there about a decade ago.

The job will be as an on plant manager/supervisor of a blue collar workforce (approximately 20-30 people, whom I expect will be Western as the role is specific to the sector and does not exist out side it). The role of the job would be to ensure operational compliance to the authorities regulations, as well as manage the work force.

Salary will be approximately 45k to 50k AED per month for a 40 hour week (Hourly rate has only been spoken of in GBP at this point) - Medical Insurance, Accommodation and 4x Flights home per year are provided. There are no other perks included.

My questions:
.
  • Is this package in a region of what would be deemed acceptable to a single man, mid 30's, and with 15 years of industry specific experience? It is between a 70% to 100% increase on the going UK rate based on 4.5 AED to £1 (although I understand the exchange rate is historically more like 5:1/5.5:1)
  • Is the Ruwais area as remote as it appears on the maps?
    • What is there to do there? Is the town nice? (My main hobby is golf, and I enjoy pubs as well)
    • Is there an ex-patriate scene in the town?
    • What would approximate costs be to entertain myself? (say to have 1 round of golf per week. 1 night in the pub per week and 1 meal out per week - typically what I do just now at home)
  • What is the cost of renting a suitable vehicle - I am assuming a basic car will not cut it?
  • Are the driving standards as poor as I have heard?
  • I'm a single straight man. I've heard this male dominated place, mainly supplying the oil refinery? Is this correct?
Any other advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by HomerSimpson; Oct 13th 2020 at 12:01 am.
HomerSimpson is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2020, 4:50 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 156
Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice
Default Re: Potential Job in Ruwais Area

Salary looks fine.

Ruwais is not so fine for a single westerner. I suspect you'll be doing your golf/pub/eating out/Tindering during your inevitable trip to Abu Dhabi every single weekend.

I wouldn't rely on your team of 20-30 to be westerners unless that has been specifically confirmed....
Gavtek is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2020, 4:53 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
csdf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 995
csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Job in Ruwais Area

Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
  • Is this package in a region of what would be deemed acceptable to a single man, mid 30's, and with 15 years of industry specific experience? It is between a 70% to 100% increase on the going UK rate based on 4.5 AED to £1 (although I understand the exchange rate is historically more like 5:1/5.5:1)
I think that's a decent package. Not phenomenal, but pretty decent, particularly with accommodation included. Just be careful that accommodation doesn't turn out to be more labour campy than you expected, because then you'll be paying out of your own pocket for something more acceptable.
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
  • Is the Ruwais area as remote as it appears on the maps?
Yes it is. That's why they stuck a Homer Simpson plant there. Pre-covid, many expats who lived in the area would drive up to Abu Dhabi for the weekend. I'm not sure if that's allowed at the moment because the western region have their own specific covid quarantine rules.
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
  • What is there to do there? Is the town nice? (My main hobby is golf, and I enjoy pubs as well)
  • Is there an ex-patriate scene in the town?
I have not been (other than on the way past to Delma Island) but I think the options are very limited. Most expatriates will not be brits, so you will find a limited number of culturally-alike people to socialise with, if that's what you want.
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
  • What would approximate costs be to entertain myself? (say to have 1 round of golf per week. 1 night in the pub per week and 1 meal out per week - typically what I do just now at home)
  • What is the cost of renting a suitable vehicle - I am assuming a basic car will not cut it?
A 4x4 is probably going to be 4000ish / month. Perhaps a little cheaper if you cut a good deal. Drinks in pubs are expensive (40+ per beer) meals out can cost whatever you want them to cost depending on where you eat (though again, the choices will be limited in Ruwais).
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
  • Are the driving standards as poor as I have heard?
Yes, you have to assume that anybody could, with no warning, do the most stupid possible thing. There are two issues a) poor levels of training and b) high levels of not-giving-a-shit-about-other-people-screw-them-I'll-do-what-I-like
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
  • I'm a single straight man. I've heard this male dominated place, mainly supplying the oil refinery? Is this correct?
Any other advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
The country as a whole is male dominated. Ruwais even more so.
csdf is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2020, 11:58 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 3
HomerSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential Job in Ruwais Area

Originally Posted by Gavtek View Post
Salary looks fine.

Ruwais is not so fine for a single westerner. I suspect you'll be doing your golf/pub/eating out/Tindering during your inevitable trip to Abu Dhabi every single weekend.

I wouldn't rely on your team of 20-30 to be westerners unless that has been specifically confirmed....
I know the tendency in the Middle East is for blue collar workers to come from cheaper, less developed parts of the world. However this specific technical trade is unique to the industry and there isn't exactly a global surplus of qualified people - and those people will also be getting paid well, no matter where in the world.

So whilst I haven't had that confirmed, I cannot see where else could provide staffing for suitably qualified and experienced technicians other than developed nations.
HomerSimpson is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2020, 9:27 am
  #5  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 24,599
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Job in Ruwais Area

Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
I know the tendency in the Middle East is for blue collar workers to come from cheaper, less developed parts of the world. However this specific technical trade is unique to the industry and there isn't exactly a global surplus of qualified people - and those people will also be getting paid well, no matter where in the world.

So whilst I haven't had that confirmed, I cannot see where else could provide staffing for suitably qualified and experienced technicians other than developed nations.
You just made your first Middle East **** up....you assumed something based on logic and clear thinking.

Only make assumptions that are on the worst possible scenario. In this instance, assume you will be working in a locked room, underground and your co-workers are hungry bears.

If that assumption sounds a bit unpleasant then ask someone what the team is like, where they're from and what their backgrounds are. Working in a Homer Simpson plant to an outsider who's watched the Chernobyl series is really terrifying (and cool). I'm sure they'll want to reference your skills and check you out so the least you can do is check them out too and ask for information.

Scamp is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2020, 9:20 am
  #6  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,438
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Job in Ruwais Area

Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
I know the tendency in the Middle East is for blue collar workers to come from cheaper, less developed parts of the world. However this specific technical trade is unique to the industry and there isn't exactly a global surplus of qualified people - and those people will also be getting paid well, no matter where in the world.

So whilst I haven't had that confirmed, I cannot see where else could provide staffing for suitably qualified and experienced technicians other than developed nations.
I like your optimism.

it was built by the South Koreans. It’ll probably be run by the North Koreans or whoever they have been selling their tech to, ie Pakistanis.

Millhouse is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2020, 7:48 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
psychopomp1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 54
psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Potential Job in Ruwais Area

OP, i would be asking the employer if you can do this job on a rotational basis, eg 4 weeks on /4 weeks off. Ruwais is an absolute shithole, going to AUH every weekend will make you even more depressed once you come back.
psychopomp1 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 8:00 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 3
HomerSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential Job in Ruwais Area

Originally Posted by psychopomp1 View Post
OP, i would be asking the employer if you can do this job on a rotational basis, eg 4 weeks on /4 weeks off. Ruwais is an absolute shithole, going to AUH every weekend will make you even more depressed once you come back.
If you had to go to Abu Dhabi/Dubai every weekend for sanity purposes (I've spoken to people already there and they say a couple of times a month minimum).

What makes Ruwais so bad?
HomerSimpson is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.