Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Potential job offer: marketing manager

Potential job offer: marketing manager

Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:27 am
Just Joined

littlemissmo83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential job offer: marketing manager

I am flying out to Dubai in the next two weeks for final interview with an events company for a marketing manager job. Having read these forums it's difficult to compare packages like for like as banking seems to offer a lot more than the average, teachers are on an entirely different package...so I was hoping to gauge some opinion on the below.

Assuming they offer me the job, although they did head hunt me - so I think it looks positive. Could you tell me if I should push for more? I have 6 years experience and 2 in exhibitions which is the industry I would move into.

18-20k a month ( i am pushing for 19.5-20), months accommodation, visa, medical insurance, flight over - but they haven't mentioned about a return flight once a year.

I have no dependants, wouldnt get a car, and have only a credit card payment monthly which isnt much.

I would be looking to get a flat share for around 6k a month.

Would you accept this package? Is it enough to have some fun, save a bit and travel? I would assume wages go up each year with a pay rise and there might be a bonus scheme which I need to check...

I live in central London so am used to high prices, and I think it equates to Dubai. If they offer me the job I would definitely do it, i just dont want to undersell myself and not sure how far to push!

Is there anything they havent mentioned which is the norm to be offered with jobs for Dubai?

Thanks and apologies for the seriously lengthy post xx
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice
Default Re: Potential job offer: marketing manager

You should ask for 2 return flights a year to your point of hire. try and get some accomodation allowance out of them as well. Theres not very many events companies out there but if its the one I think it is they pay others a whole lot more.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:58 am
Just Joined

thanks desert-rat that's really helpful. i would hope that after probation things would go up further. I think my only concerns in the beginning would be if it's a liveable amount.

Are pay rises expected year on year there too? is there an average bonus level for managers?
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

You shoud sort out your bonus before you start. Generally there are annual pay rises but its not set in stone. I feel you need to sort out where you will live then you can enjoy your life there.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Ive looked at Dubai Marina or JBR. i was told to take a look on Dubizzle for apartments and have made some enquiries but without having everything finalised first its difficult. i would love the opportunity to come out and even on the basic amount its more than i would make here, i just want to not come out and then find out i am getting less than I should. the job would be great and its an awesome challenge, but having never even visited teh area I'm not sure what to expect
Old Oct 29th 2012, 10:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I get paid just over that as my basic.

I pay 5000+ a month for rent
+ all utilities and bills
+ car loan
+ money back to UK
+ a little to save
+ I get pissed and have fun and go out and do things and go on holiday and enjoy the place.

Worry not, you'll be fine.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 5:27 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlemissmo83
I am flying out to Dubai in the next two weeks for final interview with an events company for a marketing manager job. Having read these forums it's difficult to compare packages like for like as banking seems to offer a lot more than the average, teachers are on an entirely different package...so I was hoping to gauge some opinion on the below.

Assuming they offer me the job, although they did head hunt me - so I think it looks positive. Could you tell me if I should push for more? I have 6 years experience and 2 in exhibitions which is the industry I would move into.

18-20k a month ( i am pushing for 19.5-20), months accommodation, visa, medical insurance, flight over - but they haven't mentioned about a return flight once a year.
For a marketing manager at a corporate event company - the offer is about right, perhaps a little low on salary - could be more like 22k

For roles like this you'll have very little luck in negotiating any significant changes. I know loads of people in this industry all on this sort of salary and they seem to have a good time...

There are also several many companies (IIR / Informa, MEED, Terrapinn, IQPC, Turret, DWTC, DMG, etc) that do conferences and exhibitions - once you're hired and here there seems to be loads of people that move from one company to another eventually...

Good luck.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 6:40 am
Just Joined

hi everyone! I took the job and am moving out to start on the 6th January!! very excited and cant wait to get started. Need to find somewhere to live now

Thanks for all your advice
Old Nov 16th 2012, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no dependants, wouldnt get a car, and have only a credit card payment monthly which isnt much.

I would be looking to get a flat share for around 6k a month.

Would you accept this package? Is it enough to have some fun, save a bit and travel? I would assume wages go up each year with a pay rise and there might be a bonus scheme which I need to check...

I live in central London so am used to high prices, and I think it equates to Dubai. If they offer me the job I would definitely do it, i just dont want to undersell myself and not sure how far to push!

Is there anything they havent mentioned which is the norm to be offered with jobs for Dubai?

Thanks and apologies for the seriously lengthy post xx
hmmm dont assume wage rises each year... nope not always, in fact sometimes in real terms they go down, as the rents can go up by 5% etc, if you are paying schooling (which i know that you arent) but they can go up easily 10%..... others things too. the cost of groceries have gone up quite a bit percentage too for some things.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:17 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
hmmm dont assume wage rises each year... nope not always, in fact sometimes in real terms they go down, as the rents can go up by 5% etc, if you are paying schooling (which i know that you arent) but they can go up easily 10%..... others things too. the cost of groceries have gone up quite a bit percentage too for some things.
Punctuation. Discuss.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 6:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone! I took the job and am moving out to start on the 6th January!! very excited and cant wait to get started. Need to find somewhere to live now

Thanks for all your advice
Good luck! We'll all have plenty more advice for you - some good, some less so...
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Punctuation. Discuss.
nope never