Pay Cuts

Old Feb 8th 2009, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Pay Cuts

Is the situation in your own countries that bad that you would rather take it up the bum in this one than go home?
Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

saleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nice

Our company announced they would start retrenching on Thursday. After a horrible weekend, today people were called into an office one by one. No-one knew who would be called, I escaped the first cuts but have been told will be in the second cuts if no jobs come in.

No strategy..to cut anyones salary, no strategy to put people on part time..all very sad and dispiriting.

Who would come back to rebuild this place when the world returns to growth... the costs have been too great for anyone who has been here and tried to set up houses, buy cars, pay a years rent in advance, tortuous school fees and no permanent visa to stick around and see it out. The adventure has been a sad little nightmare of excruciating inflation and then the axe.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:26 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to here this, me? I'd never set foot in the dump again
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:38 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saleca
Our company announced they would start retrenching on Thursday. After a horrible weekend, today people were called into an office one by one. No-one knew who would be called, I escaped the first cuts but have been told will be in the second cuts if no jobs come in.

No strategy..to cut anyones salary, no strategy to put people on part time..all very sad and dispiriting.

Who would come back to rebuild this place when the world returns to growth... the costs have been too great for anyone who has been here and tried to set up houses, buy cars, pay a years rent in advance, tortuous school fees and no permanent visa to stick around and see it out. The adventure has been a sad little nightmare of excruciating inflation and then the axe.
Keep looking on the bright side as "its nor over till the fat lady sings" as for a 10% pay cut this will only prolong the agony for another month! Whats the point.
Our company also called people in 1 x 1 it was like being on death row wondering if you were next!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

I have a suggestion -
Make the employee pay for the new labour contract.
Everybody wins!

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
bloody ridiculous! can you imagine Emaar giving 4000 a 100 dhs pay increase to go through this malarky!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banter64
I think that this is the way forward in Dubai and I know that some companies have already implimented this, how would you feel if they wanted to cut your salary by 10% ? would you accept rather than loosing your job ? how would you prefer the company to handle it ?
If it was in my hands, I would implement the cuts across the board but leave all staff earning below 10k alone. I suspect we are top heavy. I would also have a different % for each salary band. Which means that I would take a higher cut than the staff earning much lower than me. So for those people earning over AED 100k per month, I would cut 25%; 75 to <100k - 20%; 50 to <75k - 15% ....and so on.

We are probably going to lose around 2000 expat staff by March - think around 600 expat jobs already axed and it is very sad (I was told that the pay cut idea didn't go down too well among the non-expat staff). Staff are just dazed.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:05 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
If it was in my hands, I would implement the cuts across the board but leave all staff earning below 10k alone. I suspect we are top heavy. I would also have a different % for each salary band. Which means that I would take a higher cut than the staff earning much lower than me. So for those people earning over AED 100k per month, I would cut 25%; 75 to <100k - 20%; 50 to <75k - 15% ....and so on.

We are probably going to lose around 2000 expat staff by March - think around 600 expat jobs already axed and it is very sad (I was told that the pay cut idea didn't go down too well among the non-expat staff). Staff are just dazed.
yeah, but noone seems to be applying logic in these redundancies... I'd cull based on performance across the board, so that the staff who are left are the most productive and motivated, but hey...
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
yeah, but noone seems to be applying logic in these redundancies... I'd cull based on performance across the board, so that the staff who are left are the most productive and motivated, but hey...
That would be ideal if the company has a proper/reasonably fair performance appraisal system in place. A majority do not. I have seen Managers give the same 'Satisfactory' /'Good' rating to 95% of their staff and just 1-2 staff (who are not necessarily good at their work) an 'Outstanding' rating. This is based on how well the "outstanding staff" suck up to their boss.

Last edited by IndieG; Feb 9th 2009 at 2:18 pm. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:35 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
That would be ideal if the company has a proper/reasonably fair performance appraisal system in place. A majority do not. I have seen Managers give the same 'Satisfactory' /'Good' rating to 95% of their staff and just 1-2 staff (who are not necessarily good at their work) an 'Outstanding' rating. This is based on how well the "outstanding staff" suck up to their boss.
hehe, yeah... must remember to switch off brain when trying to "understand" the management of companies here.

Anywhere else in the world, these places would have folded through sheer incompetence... says a lot for the extent of the bubble here.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

niddy is on a distinguished road

Just curious: Those of you who have taken paycuts, did you have to sign a Ministry of Labour form? Also, I have heard that if your contract gets amended that you have to receive your gratuity entitlement as if you were terminated.

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Already took a 15% paycut, effective in February's paycheque.

Since I live well within my means, I'm not too upset. Better than than a job loss.

But I am beginning to look around for other positions just to keep my options open.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niddy
Just curious: Those of you who have taken paycuts, did you have to sign a Ministry of Labour form? Also, I have heard that if your contract gets amended that you have to receive your gratuity entitlement as if you were terminated.
correct on both counts.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I know quite a few that have taken 10% paycuts.....a lady I know was pretty upset a couple of days ago, her husband who works for Emaar is being forced to take a 25% cut across his whole package.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:53 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I know quite a few that have taken 10% paycuts.....a lady I know was pretty upset a couple of days ago, her husband who works for Emaar is being forced to take a 25% cut across his whole package.
Bet that hurts...
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:55 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

My hubbys company hasn't made pay cuts but just increased the monthly hours required before overtime = take it that bypasses all of the legalities!!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Bet that hurts...
Well she certainly wasn't smiling when she told us the news poor bugger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.