Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Notice period for a project employment contract in Qatar

Notice period for a project employment contract in Qatar

Old Dec 19th 2012, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

MrSmart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Notice period for a project employment contract in Qatar

Hi There,

I need some advice from the experience people in this forum. I got a contract to work in Qatar on a project for 18-24 months (Could vary once the project kicks in). So this is not a permanent position. When I received the contract it was an open end (no end date) and it doesn’t refer to the duration or nature of the project discussed.
In addition there is a probation period of 6 months and a notice period of 1 month after the probation. I worked before in Dubai and I know how expensive is accommodation which you need to pay on yearly bases with post dated cheques.
My concern is that I will bear the following expenses from my pocket:
o I will relocate from UK with my wife and 2 kids (4 & 1) including shipping 500KG of personal belongings
o Have a rental agreement for 3 bedroom house which will cost about 12-17 per month (payment is yearly through PDC as I understand)
o Furnish the house
o Register in a school and pay for the first term
o Buy two cars
As my contract is a monthly lump sum they will not participate in any of the pervious expenses which is fine if everything went well during the period of the contract.

My biggest fear is what if the contract is terminated at any point of time after I incurred all the previous expenses? In addition I have to close my limited company in UK and terminate my current contracts with clients before relocating to Qatart. In this scenario I could be in QR200K debt, I have my son at the middle of a school year, no job in UK and I have to leave Qatar in 1 month.

I talked with my recruitment consultant in UK and proposed to have a clause to make the employer obligated to pay for the whole contract period in case it is terminated before a minimum of 1 year and to remove the probation period from the contract.
I even suggested visiting Qatar for few days were they can test my skills and confirm I am the right candidate for them, but once the contract is signed then I am their employee till the end of the contract.
The recruitment consultant thinks the employer will never accept this condition and they will turn me down.

What do you think I should put in the contract to give me some assurance especially there was another person in this role who left 2 months after joining? I know the mentality of senior locals in Qatar who can change their mind about the project, about the company that execute the project, or just don’t like the consultant so they fire them.

Please help as I need to sign this contract ASAP.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:12 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notice period for a project employment contract in Qatar

Originally Posted by MrSmart
My concern is that I will bear the following expenses from my pocket:
o I will relocate from UK with my wife and 2 kids (4 & 1) including shipping 500KG of personal belongings. Employer must pay these costs. You bear risk even if they say they will reimburse you--no guarantee that they will. If Qatari employment laws are as onerous as UAE's, then your employer probably has the right to claim back from you all his costs in the first 6 months if you leave during that time, whether of your own volition or his.
o Have a rental agreement for 3 bedroom house which will cost about 12-17 per month (payment is yearly through PDC as I understand). Explore the possibility of having a break clause in the rental agreement.
o Furnish the house. Trade in part of your salary for a non-refundable furnishing allowance, or buy cheapest possible / second-hand stuff. Do-able for a guy on his own, not sure the family would love you for it.
o Register in a school and pay for the first term. Same as relocation costs. Shit, if they want you and are happy that you'll be on married status, they've got to pay to school your kids.
o Buy two cars. Running out of ideas...
As my contract is a monthly lump sum they will not participate in any of the pervious expenses which is fine if everything went well during the period of the contract. Therein lies the real problem. Don't believe what the probably-half-baked employment agent tells you, try to get direct to the employer. But they may be wuckfits too.

My biggest fear is what if the contract is terminated at any point of time after I incurred all the previous expenses? In addition I have to close my limited company in UK and terminate my current contracts with clients before relocating to Qatart. In this scenario I could be in QR200K debt, I have my son at the middle of a school year, no job in UK and I have to leave Qatar in 1 month. Well-founded fears. Sometimes an opportunity just isn't worth the risk.

I talked with my recruitment consultant in UK and proposed to have a clause to make the employer obligated to pay for the whole contract period in case it is terminated before a minimum of 1 year and to remove the probation period from the contract. Unlikely, I would imagine they're more likely to accept some of the things I've stated above.

I even suggested visiting Qatar for few days were they can test my skills and confirm I am the right candidate for them, but once the contract is signed then I am their employee till the end of the contract.
The recruitment consultant thinks the employer will never accept this condition and they will turn me down.

What do you think I should put in the contract to give me some assurance especially there was another person in this role who left 2 months after joining? I know the mentality of senior locals in Qatar who can change their mind about the project, about the company that execute the project, or just don’t like the consultant so they fire them. More fears that are probably justified.

Please help as I need to sign this contract ASAP. Would you enter into such a risky contract on behalf of your company and expect to be lauded for doing so? I doubt it. So the same goes--only moreso--in terms of risking your family's resources: will be ok if its ok, if not you'll be well up shit wadi wihout a paddle. Not every opportunity, not matter how alluring, is actually worth the risk.
Shit, that's a whole lot of liability you're taking on if you don't off-load some of it to your employer. Suggestions above. Good luck.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

What you are being offered is not unusual. My own contract is similar, I was able to remove the probationery period, but that is meaningless they can give me notice at any time. These are the risks you have to accept, there is little you can do to mitigate them. Rent is not a problem you will pay by post dated cheques and it is law in qatar that the agreement is terminated if you have to laeve. cars you will hire until you are confident to buy. There is huge job market in Qatar many (most) jobs are underpaid, but providing you are not in some obscure occupation there is good chance that if everything goes ape shit you can find a job to cover costs until you sort yourself out. That is my strategy. All projects in Qatar run late. The new airport was first designed in the sea to service Catalan flying boats operated by Imperial airways. They keep having to redisign it to accept the latest aircraft technology. Currently it is being redesigned to accept the new fangled jet aircraft. My project was for 10 months, I have been here 18 and expect to be here another 9 months.

You need to assess the risk and have a plan B if /when plan A turns to shit
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Shit, that's a whole lot of liability you're taking on if you don't off-load some of it to your employer. Suggestions above. Good luck.
All of what Bathboy says. Except clause to break lease is standard in Qatar. For furniture landlords will charge around an extra QR 2,000/ month for furnished accommodation. I took the risk , rented unfurnished and bought furniture for QR 15000.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
The new airport was first designed in the sea to service Catalan flying boats operated by Imperial airways.
That advanced, eh? I was always under the impression that it was challenged by Sopwith Camels.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The fying boats were CATALINAS amd they were from the USA. Imperial Airways used SUNDERLANDS.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:27 am
Just Joined

MrSmart is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot for all your comments. It is really helpful especially knowing about the standard clause to break the lease agreement. It will help me to shape my conversation with the recruitment guy.

I have another question regarding Schools. I saw in different discussions how difficult it is to secure a place at school as they have long waiting lists.
Do any know what is deadline to apply for 2013 school year and if the difficulty to secure a place does apply to all grades? I am specifically looking at the first grade (4 years old).
Thanks!