British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   New Job Offer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/new-job-offer-610409/)

shysmiler75 May 21st 2009 8:51 am

New Job Offer

Hi there!

I have recently been contacted by a recruitment agency in Dubai regarding a position but I could do with some help regarding what sort of salary package I should realistically look for and also what should be included i.e. flights, accommodation, relocation costs!

Many thanks

Sharon :D

Blue Cat May 21st 2009 8:58 am

Re: New Job Offer

Originally Posted by shysmiler75 (Post 7591463)
Hi there!

I have recently been contacted by a recruitment agency in Dubai regarding a position but I could do with some help regarding what sort of salary package I should realistically look for and also what should be included i.e. flights, accommodation, relocation costs!

Many thanks

really? I thought most recruitment agencies were paying off.

hawkhead May 21st 2009 9:05 am

Some more info would help - what field? What level? Are you single or will you be bringing your family with you............

TGFKASE May 21st 2009 9:06 am

Hi there!

Many thanks

First things first...

Did they ask for money to transfer your CV into 'Gulf format'??

If so, hope you haven't paid it.....

Koolio May 21st 2009 10:33 am

Hi there!

Many thanks

Renting housing is very exspensive, you are looking at about AED70,000 for a 1 bedroom apartment, that is approx 1 grand. I would do the homework of the housing situation first. 45K, to be really honest is just "okay". You should ask for at least 60K, because the costs of living here is very high. Dubai is a millionaires market. Even though tax free but alot of luxuries which we enjoy back in the UK, can be very exspensive here to buy perhaps 3 times the price. Food costs are sky rocket. And depending on the area you live, it could be even more higher. It largely depends on what type of quality of life you want to sustain. If "beans-toast" type lifestyle then its good. However if you want to wine and dine, then negoitate more. Everything here is negoitable, they have plenty of money here, so be tough and negoitate hard to get the best deal.

good luck !

klaus3974 May 21st 2009 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Koolio (Post 7591734)
Renting housing is very exspensive, you are looking at about AED70,000 for a 1 bedroom apartment, that is approx 1 grand. I would do the homework of the housing situation first. 45K, to be really honest is just "okay". You should ask for at least 60K, because the costs of living here is very high. Dubai is a millionaires market. Even though tax free but alot of luxuries which we enjoy back in the UK, can be very exspensive here to buy perhaps 3 times the price. Food costs are sky rocket. And depending on the area you live, it could be even more higher. It largely depends on what type of quality of life you want to sustain. If "beans-toast" type lifestyle then its good. However if you want to wine and dine, then negoitate more. Everything here is negoitable, they have plenty of money here, so be tough and negoitate hard to get the best deal.

good luck !

45K? 60K? What currency? Monthly? What kind of job? Experience? Family size?
I am NOT following...

Koolio May 21st 2009 10:42 am

Originally Posted by klaus3974 (Post 7591749)
45K? 60K? What currency? Monthly? What kind of job? Experience? Family size?
I am NOT following...

Sterling pounds. Ask for at least 60 grand a year, then you will be comfy. It seems alot of money but its not really.

Your looking at costs of 1000 pounds for rental.

Sorry I am scottish, dont you use the word "K" for Grand ?

:)

Koolio May 21st 2009 10:44 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7591509)
First things first...

Did they ask for money to transfer your CV into 'Gulf format'??

If so, hope you haven't paid it.....

Hi

It depends on your areas of expertise. What trade you in ?

klaus3974 May 21st 2009 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Koolio (Post 7591771)
Hi

Koolio, honestly man, no offense but... are you on steroids?

Blue Cat May 21st 2009 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Koolio (Post 7591766)
Sterling pounds. Ask for at least 60 grand a year, then you will be comfy. It seems alot of money but its not really.

Your looking at costs of 1000 pounds for rental.

Sorry I am scottish, dont you use the word "K" for Grand ?

:)

so do we but this is the Middle East Forum not the Scottish one so we tend to work in Dirhams/SAR etc not Sterling.

lionheart May 21st 2009 11:52 am

Hi there!

Many thanks

How long is a piece of string? You need to be more specific.

TGFKASE May 21st 2009 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Koolio (Post 7591771)
Hi

Koolio...

I, too, am Scots. I'd be using Dirhams as opposed to Sterling when discussing money over here, as the locals tend to prefer it in Dirhams as opposed to Old Liz's monopoly money....

The point that I was trying to make is that, right now, I'd be VERY suspicious of ANY recruitment agency either hiring themselves or hiring for a client, especially for a position that can't be adequately filled by those that are out of work and already IN the UAE.

PS... I also have to ask, you shooting up????:p

TGFKASE May 21st 2009 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Koolio (Post 7591734)

good luck !

Who has plenty of money here??

PS, Koolio... a wee heads up 'tween fellow Scots....

Gonnae use 'Spellcheck' afore ye post onything else oan here? Its a pure dead gie'away that yer fae the West coast, coz yon spellings boagin'.....

I, on the other hand, are from Gods country, the North East, where we tend to stay on past christmas leavers time.... :rofl::rofl:

Koolio May 21st 2009 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by klaus3974 (Post 7591815)
Koolio, honestly man, no offense but... are you on steroids?

hehehe, posted the wrong answer on the wrang forum

Koolio May 21st 2009 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7592124)
Who has plenty of money here??

PS, Koolio... a wee heads up 'tween fellow Scots....

Gonnae use 'Spellcheck' afore ye post onything else oan here? Its a pure dead gie'away that yer fae the West coast, coz yon spellings boagin'.....

I, on the other hand, are from Gods country, the North East, where we tend to stay on past christmas leavers time.... :rofl::rofl:

how didnt u work that 1 out, am fae the west coast hhehe, u got it right big yane...... didnae stay in school, they didnt wannae keep there for too long...so a moved out too no man land where people cany speak any english :D its great,

now u tell me mucker how is it maa fault if i cant write proper english ? r u trying to BLAME me ?????????? u serious ?