Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need advice on petroleum salary

Need advice on petroleum salary

Old May 19th 2011, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Hamin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice on petroleum salary

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and looking for your advice about salary in Abu Dhabi. We are famlly with 2 kids, 1 is 5yrs old and new born

My husband is a reservoir engineer, master degree and 10yrs plus experience. He got an offer to work as either a permenant staff or day rate staff.

Day rate is USD670, working days 214 days, so he'll get about USD12K per month. It includes everything. Health insurance for whole family, Life insurance for only himself, 5 star club member is covered by company.

The other option is permanent contract: 23K Dirham per month (total 280K), 150K per year for housing, 100K per year for car rental, education 35K per year. Health insurance for whole family, Life insurance for only himself, 5 star club member is covered by company.

Is it enough to have good life in Abu Dhabi? what is their minimum salary by law? is it enought to rent a good appartment and car with that budget? Which type of contract is better if my husband lives there alone? He has 6 month probation. Should we move whole family to AD? We are living in KL Malaysia now.

Please help us to make decision.

Many thanks

Last edited by Hamin; May 19th 2011 at 9:24 am. Reason: error typing
Old May 19th 2011, 9:48 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on petroleum salary

do you want to move to AD, that is the question? not sure whether salary is good or not but someone in the Industry will be able to help you out I am sure welcome to BE
Old May 19th 2011, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks Blue Cat.

We want to move to AD if they pay reasonably. Living in Kuala Lumur is just fine, good weather, food is nice and cheap. Is it worth moving whole family there with that offer?

Waiting for your help
Old May 19th 2011, 9:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea on rents in AD, check out www.dubizzle.com. The schooling will need to be reviewed as it is on the low side for two kids. I am in Dubai and if you were here I would say that it is doable but ideally the basic could be higher.
Old May 19th 2011, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the weirdest package I've come across.

Just from a numbers perspective:

The value of the standard breakdown package is about 561,000 AED, which works out to $152K USD.

The daily rate package works out to $143,400 USD.

So.....

As regards package 1, the car allowance is shockingly high. My guess is that the company increased the car allowance at the expense of the base salary in order to keep the base salary as low as possible. In general the end of service gratuity is based only on the base salary, not the entire package. But I wonder how that impacts your husband if he's paid on a daily rate? I'd be interested in seeing the fine print of that contract!
Old May 19th 2011, 11:11 am
Just Joined

I am quite surprised that they offer basic pay so low. In some forums I found that other employers also offer base pay very low. Is it the common way HRD do for expats?
Old May 19th 2011, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hamin
I am quite surprised that they offer basic pay so low. In some forums I found that other employers also offer base pay very low. Is it the common way HRD do for expats?
It is because the gratuity calculation paid to people when they leave employment is a % of base salary - hence a lot of companies try and keep it as low as possible so save some when people leave.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:56 am
Concierge

23k a month is not to be sniffed at
Old May 19th 2011, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

The minimum monthly salary by law is about Dhs1,250...does that make you feel better?
Old May 19th 2011, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lionheart
The minimum monthly salary by law is about Dhs1,250...does that make you feel better?
I think it is 600 AED for an Ethiopian housemaid....

However, AED 23k for a qualified western engineer with 10 years experience does seem a tad low.
Old May 19th 2011, 12:26 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Mogs

However, AED 23k for a qualified western engineer with 10 years experience does seem a tad low.
I think it depends on the Company really, the other benefits are good
Old May 19th 2011, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

100K per year for car rental
do you get to keep the difference if you don't hire the Porsche?
Old May 19th 2011, 12:28 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mogs

I'd agree if there weren't other benefits. The OP mentions a housing alownace of AED 150k, car costs of AED 100k and education of AED 35, as well as some other bits. That comes to AED 46,750 a month which is pretty good compared to what most people are earning in Dubai.
Old May 19th 2011, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meow
I'd agree if there weren't other benefits. The OP mentions a housing alownace of AED 150k, car costs of AED 100k and education of AED 35, as well as some other bits. That comes to AED 46,750 a month which is pretty good compared to what most people are earning in Dubai.
If the 100k car allowance is paid in full irrespective of what is spent on a car, then it is a reasonable package rather than good IMO

Schooling would only cover 1 child though.
Old May 19th 2011, 12:43 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You could probably live in the car and save the expense of a villa.

Go for the package, but see if more can be put in the base salary (so as to increase the end-of-term gratuity, and to be in a better position in the event of redundancy or the like).

If you go for the package and don't gain from any savings on the benefits, then the base salary isn't brilliant. Living out here isn't cheap.

The decision all comes down to what your alternatives are: staying put, Malaysia, other locations, trying to negotiate more money, waiting to find something that is better. Impossible to advise without knowing the dyamics of your situation.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.