Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need advice on finding a job as a lawyer in the GCC area

Need advice on finding a job as a lawyer in the GCC area

Old Oct 9th 2010, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

The Name is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice on finding a job as a lawyer in the GCC area

Is there anything in particular (in broad general terms) that you should have in mind when applying for jobs in the GCC area as opposed to finding a job in the western world?

I'm a fresh LLM graduate (well, at least within a month) and I'm interested to work in the GCC area. I'm particularly interested to find a job in Dubai. My degree is from a good western university but not from a common law jurisdiction.

I know that it will be tough to find a job with 0 PQE and no arabic language skills, but how tough are we talking about? How many days and hours a week are you normally expected to work?

Last edited by The Name; Oct 9th 2010 at 8:53 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on finding a job as a lawyer in the GCC area

Originally Posted by The Name
How many days and hours a week are you normally expected to work?
As a junior lawyer in any jurisdiction will be expected to work at least 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. this will increase to 18 hours a day, 6-7 days a week when you are busy . It is no different here.

I know many partners here still working those hours.

I'd say you don't have a chance in coming here with 0 PQE (and nor should you want to). Get a couple of years under your belt in the UK/US first - it will be better for you in the longer term.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Why do you think it's better in the longer term to have experience before starting in the GCC region - assuming you can find a job?

If I find a job I like I plan to stay for years but what is the job culture like as to how long you need to stay at a job without having the employer to think that he shouldn't have hired you because you leave so soon? Can you leave after 1 year and the employer still think it's ok if you have done a good job? 6 months is too short I suppose? I ask because this seems to differ quite much between different countries.

Thanks.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think it's better in the longer term to have experience before starting in the GCC region - assuming you can find a job?

If I find a job I like I plan to stay for years but what is the job culture like as to how long you need to stay at a job without having the employer to think that he shouldn't have hired you because you leave so soon?
Hard for me to say as I'm not a lawyer. However, I see lawyers as much more 'sticky' than, say, accountants. Accountants tend to move every couple of years (at least initially) but lawyers normally have a good 3-4 year run.

This isn't just a middle east thing.

Can you leave after 1 year and the employer still think it's ok if you have done a good job? 6 months is too short I suppose? I ask because this seems to differ quite much between different countries.

Thanks.
As a newbie in a law firm after 6 months you are still boiling the kettle, after 1 year you might, just might, be given enough responsibility to decide when to take the tea-bags out. Responsibility for adding the milk (an act that incurs substantial third party costs) would take another 6 months.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Haha, ok.

I hope to stay for a while as a lawyer. I just need a change of scenery at the moment so it might be easier for me to find a job in the it sector where I have a few years of experience. In the IT sector I want to be able to leave the job after let's say 1 year and the employer still thinks that it was good to recruit me. I guess I just need to be upfront with my plan with the risk of not getting the job.

But I'm still very curious as to why you think that it's a bad idea to start your career in the ME if you happen to land a job there?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Haha, ok.

I hope to stay for a while as a lawyer. I just need a change of scenery at the moment so it might be easier for me to find a job in the it sector where I have a few years of experience. In the IT sector I want to be able to leave the job after let's say 1 year and the employer still thinks that it was good to recruit me. I guess I just need to be upfront with my plan with the risk of not getting the job.
I wouldn't worry about what the previous employer thinks about you... it's more what the next employer will think.... and people talk

Haha, ok.

But I'm still very curious as to why you think that it's a bad idea to start your career in the ME if you happen to land a job there?
Watch news 24x7 for a couple of weeks. You will soon learn that things here ain't normal.