Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is my dream realistic?? Please advice.

Is my dream realistic?? Please advice.

Old May 16th 2016, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Livingthedream123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is my dream realistic?? Please advice.

Hi all

Just wanted some advice as would like to move to Dubai in the next couple of years.

I currently work in Banking (Compliance) and have 7 years experience with some large banks and currently in a mid-size Swiss bank in London. But my degree is in Economics and I know they prefer legal studies for this area... But I do have some industry certificates and planning on taking a paper on the Dubai financial regulations this month. I have researched online for jobs in Dubai and have seen a few relevant openings and also connected with Dubai recruiters mainly on Linkedin and they are positive but then most recruiters are. My company also have an office in Dubai but it is just a 5 man office, so no chance to transfer. The guy who does my job over there is also a useful contact. The main problem is I work on UK regulations (FCA) and the Dubai DFSA are less rigid, but I do have knowledge of anti money laundering systems (globally applicable) and the DFSA have basically copied the FCA handbook upon inception.

I have been to Dubai many times and looking at getting a property there (having attended the Dubai property show in London yesterday). I am also born in the UK but with a Indian background, would this work against me as I have heard there is discrimination in the workplace for non-whites? Would appreciate any pointers especially on the job part. I could easily live on 30k-40k AED per month with medical, even if this didn’t include accommodation allowance.

Also my friend moving with me is interested in working in real estate (maybe as a junior broker/trainee), but is self-employed in the UK with sales experience and is bright and outgoing. Also white (if that makes a difference). What type of salary can she expect and ease of getting work?

Many thanks in advance

*"please advise", not advice

Last edited by Livingthedream123; May 16th 2016 at 12:01 pm.