MOVING TO DUBAI

Old May 28th 2011, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Rachel-13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MOVING TO DUBAI

Hi anyone out could please tell me if they know anything about JESS school or is DESS better? Also is Jumeriah are the place for expat living in a a nice compound?

Thanks Rachel
Old May 28th 2011, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MOVING TO DUBAI

I see you've been talking to someone who last lived in Dubai in 1995.

Originally Posted by Rachel-13
Hi anyone out could please tell me if they know anything about JESS school or is DESS better? Also is Jumeriah are the place for expat living in a a nice compound?

Thanks Rachel

Last edited by Ethos83; May 28th 2011 at 6:30 pm.
Old May 29th 2011, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

winter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to all

At either of these schools, you will live in apartment, somewhere in a cheaper area of Dubai.
Although based on your post, I really do hope you are not a teacher.
Old May 29th 2011, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi there, thanks for your message and no I am not a teacher I am a Mother of 4 hence needing a compound villa. Do you know of any good agents?
Old May 29th 2011, 3:31 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want a compound villa? Most villas are not on compounds.

You will be guided by budget and where work and schools are located.
Old May 29th 2011, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Because it will be quite lonely no knowing anyone plus want facilities ie swimming pool and place for the kids to go out on their bikes, scooters also lived on a compound before!

Have you been their a long time and do you have any kids?
Old May 29th 2011, 4:09 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

when are you planning on moving to Dubai....both Jess and Dess have waiting lists and it's already quite late in the year to register, schools are making up the classes for next year, so if you are not on the waiting lists now, you may have a problem.

there are quite a few villas on compounds in Jumeira, if you have 4 kids you'll be looking at a 5 bed which will be around 220,000 dhs and upwards.
Old May 29th 2011, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

Granted, it's been a while since I left Dubai....almost two months now.

Still, there's a lot more to Dubai than Jess or Dess or Jumeira. Gone are the days when all expat families moving to Dubai went straight to Jumeira and automatically got places for their children at Jess or Dess. These two schools are very competitive to get in and if you don't have corporate debenture, forget finding a place for the upcoming year. The best schools are filled for their primary years well in advance. At this point you'll probably have to settle for some of the newer schools like Dubai British School or Regents, or if you have the money, Repton.

As for housing, most incoming families looking for a child friendly neighbourhood seem to prefer places like Arabian Ranches, the Springs or Meadows, which are essentially very large gated compounds. That said, Jumeira is still a very pleasant area.

Go to Amazon.co.uk and order the latest copy of the Dubai Explorer guide, or join expatwoman.com. Both will help you get started.

Because it will be quite lonely no knowing anyone plus want facilities ie swimming pool and place for the kids to go out on their bikes, scooters also lived on a compound before!

Have you been their a long time and do you have any kids?

Last edited by Ethos83; May 29th 2011 at 5:00 pm.
Old May 29th 2011, 5:16 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Ethos83;9395716]Granted, it's been a while since I left Dubai....almost two months now.

feels to me like you are still here...you must be bored there in London to be hanging around on here all the time...not busy on the new job, no social life to keep you occupied in the real world...
Old May 29th 2011, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Actually I am bored but not of England I have just come out of hospital and so in bed most of the time!
Old May 29th 2011, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your tips! We are looking to coming in August when its bloody hot I know but ready for the kids to start school but if you say there are no places then i dont know! Where are the other schools you mentioned located please? Why did you leave?
Old May 29th 2011, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

Darling, you have over 27,000 posts to my 1800 and you are accusing me for not having a social life? I digress....

I admit to having an addictive personality and it is email, DT, property websites and then BE in that order. All in about ten minutes. But have no fear, I am consciously weaning myself off this cesspool of English and Dutch people. Aim is to be BE free by the end of June..

[QUOTE=MataHari;9395783]
Originally Posted by Ethos83
Granted, it's been a while since I left Dubai....almost two months now.

feels to me like you are still here...you must be bored there in London to be hanging around on here all the time...not busy on the new job, no social life to keep you occupied in the real world...
Old May 30th 2011, 4:30 am
hmmmm...nice

[QUOTE=Ethos83;9395903]Darling, you have over 27,000 posts to my 1800 and you are accusing me for not having a social life? I digress....

I admit to having an addictive personality and it is email, DT, property websites and then BE in that order. All in about ten minutes. But have no fear, I am consciously weaning myself off this cesspool of English and Dutch people. Aim is to be BE free by the end of June..

not accusing...merely wondering why you are still so engaged in it...
anyway...have a nice bank holiday Monday, get a nice long lie in while the rest of us are working...
Old May 30th 2011, 10:43 am
Just Joined

No long lay-ins I have 4 children to look after on my own - my husband lives in the ME!
Old May 30th 2011, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

No long lay-ins I have 4 children to look after on my own - my husband lives in the ME!
yeah, anyone with kids doesn't get to lie in...for singletons, however, it's the law, lol...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.