Middle East offer

Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Hulk798 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Middle East offer

Hi guys and gals. Love the site, lots of useful information!
Wondering if I can get your input on an offer I've received for the UAE managing a marketing center.
10000 dirhams a month basic salary.
Housing covered by employer and utilities.
Yearly flight home.
30 calender days leave.
Medical after 3 months.
No car allowance or communication allowance.
I've tried the is it worth it spread sheet but seems out dated.

My question is will 10000 dirhams suffice for a single guy to save?
Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Hulk798; Aug 28th 2014 at 2:20 am. Reason: more info
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Middle East offer

Originally Posted by Hulk798
My question is will 10000 dirhams suffice for a single guy to save?
Any input would be appreciated.
Short answer: no. Longer answer: depends on what you do with yourself. If you don't go on holidays or go out, you'll probably manage to save a little bit.

Last edited by csdf; Aug 28th 2014 at 6:53 am.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by csdf
Short answer: no. Longer answer: depends on what you do with yourself. If you don't go on holidays or go out, you'll probably manage to save a little bit.
Thanks for the reply. Doesn't sound like much of a deal. They are also offering potential to make 3300 dirhams in bonuses a month, but bonuses are not a sure thing of coarse.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 12:18 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

It's an equivalent of a uk gross salary around 27k Gbp. With no rent and no water elect bills. Living in London.
What do you think you could save on that?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 3:12 pm
researcher, hiker

helga14 is an unknown quantity at this point

no medical for 3 months sounds dodgy. One basic visit to a doctor will cost 500 aed (that's just a basic chat with a doctor for 10 min).

If company provides accommodation allowance, it is useful to ask if you will be sharing accommodation with 3-4 other people, location matters as well. A flat in Jumeirah Beach residence is great (flats are ok, the views are stunning), if you end up in ehh, how to put this... modest international city, than you may find it a traumatic experience.
It is useful to know how far you will be living from your place of work and if your work in on the metro line.
If you are planning to drive in Dubai, you will need to swap your license (that depends on your passport, if lets say you have a British license and a British passport, you can get a UAE license within days). Easy. If you hold a british license and you passport is from middle of nowhere, too bad, you have to take classes and pass exams. (http://www.rta.ae/),
10000 technically is fine, but you will not be able to save.
Is this an offer of your life, or you are using it as "foot in the door policy"? When signing a contract, have a look at small print and see if your company wants you for 3 year (No objection letter is vital to change jobs).
Are you going there on a tourist visa or the company is getting you a work visa straight away?

Have you worked abroad before? Your cultural radar will be disengaged and new reality can knock you on the head big time.

Once all of the above is sorted (I'd say about 6 months), you may start enjoying beaches, brunches, paddling, skydiving, concerts, blah, blah, blah. Before...It's like climbing Kilimanjaro (why the hell, am I subjecting myself to all of this?!).
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
It's an equivalent of a uk gross salary around 27k Gbp. With no rent and no water elect bills. Living in London.
What do you think you could save on that?
Does not sound very appealing at this point. Thanks for the
Input.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

You can get that working 4hrs a day playing dancing monkey in front of failing students instructing them in the best usage of the Queens English. Managing? Somethings slightly squiffy there.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:32 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Does not sound very appealing at this point. Thanks for the
Input.
You're welcome
Old Aug 29th 2014, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by expatadaptation
no medical for 3 months sounds dodgy. One basic visit to a doctor will cost 500 aed (that's just a basic chat with a doctor for 10 min).

If company provides accommodation allowance, it is useful to ask if you will be sharing accommodation with 3-4 other people, location matters as well. A flat in Jumeirah Beach residence is great (flats are ok, the views are stunning), if you end up in ehh, how to put this... modest international city, than you may find it a traumatic experience.
It is useful to know how far you will be living from your place of work and if your work in on the metro line.
If you are planning to drive in Dubai, you will need to swap your license (that depends on your passport, if lets say you have a British license and a British passport, you can get a UAE license within days). Easy. If you hold a british license and you passport is from middle of nowhere, too bad, you have to take classes and pass exams. (http://www.rta.ae/),
10000 technically is fine, but you will not be able to save.
Is this an offer of your life, or you are using it as "foot in the door policy"? When signing a contract, have a look at small print and see if your company wants you for 3 year (No objection letter is vital to change jobs).
Are you going there on a tourist visa or the company is getting you a work visa straight away?

Have you worked abroad before? Your cultural radar will be disengaged and new reality can knock you on the head big time.

Once all of the above is sorted (I'd say about 6 months), you may start enjoying beaches, brunches, paddling, skydiving, concerts, blah, blah, blah. Before...It's like climbing Kilimanjaro (why the hell, am I subjecting myself to all of this?!).

After a few back and forths with HR...I've had no luck with increasing the basic salary unfortunately.
Im quickly realizing this is not the best offer but if the offer was taken, hoping I could find other employment while there.
Apparently I would be going on a visit visa....not sure how that works exactly.
Accomodations would be single, as in no flat share and within close proximity of work.
Was just told location would be either Doha, Dubai or Abu Dhabi now.....
I've visited the ME in the past and familiar with the good and bad .

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:25 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

After a few back and forths with HR...I've had no luck with increasing the basic salary unfortunately.
Im quickly realizing this is not the best offer but if the offer was taken, hoping I could find other employment while there.
Apparently I would be going on a visit visa....not sure how that works exactly.
Accomodations would be single, as in no flat share and within close proximity of work.
Was just told location would be either Doha, Dubai or Abu Dhabi now.....
I've visited the ME in the past and familiar with the good and bad .

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
walk away,

no medical for 3 months, visit visa and 10k for a managemnet position all tell me its a bollocks job. it'll end in tears
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shiva
walk away,

no medical for 3 months, visit visa and 10k for a managemnet position all tell me its a bollocks job. it'll end in tears
Thanks for the feedback
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

_Cheery is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be pretty surprised if someone in a managerial position would not be expected to have a work mobile, and if that's what communication allowance is supposed to cover, you'd be paying the cost of calls too...

If you then discover your marketing role starts to include sales responsibilities, there are also travel costs to consider.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Salary Package is for an Asian.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:51 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Salary Package is for an Asian.
Can't see many Japanese taking it.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

No. Maybe those from another part of the "Greater Asian Co-prosperity Sphere" ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.