Life change Qs

Old Aug 21st 2023, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

CMC23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life change Qs

Doing some exploration on the feasibility of moving to Dubai for 1-3 years or more maybe. My husband and I need time apart (agreeable/consensual/long story) and I have the possibility of a job in Dubai, initially for 12 months min then with options. I will still pay the mortgage, as my son is at school for another two years, and his school fees, but everything else re the home my husband will take up. I am likely to come home one weekend a month to see my son or he will come to me during the holidays. I'm only just starting to scope this out but does the fact I am paying the mortgage and coming back every month or so make me still a UK resident for tax purposes? If it does it does, just fact-finding.

Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2023, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Ilovegregggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life change Qs

Flying back every month will be quite costly, and how much energy will you have when you get back before you need to return to the airport?

On the tax residency, 90 midnights is your maximum allowance per year. My understanding is you can come and go as often as you like as long as you don't exceed the specified number of midnights. But if he comes to you for his holidays I guess that will take out a chunk of those days.
Old Sep 6th 2023, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life change Qs

It’s not as simple as the 90 days. You have ties in the UK so that can have an impact and even then you are not always tax free until you have been out a full tax year. It’s a complex topic and best to get professional tax advice.