Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

The job search so far.. am I missing anything?

The job search so far.. am I missing anything?

Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold
Default The job search so far.. am I missing anything?

Hello board fellows,

After lifting tips off this lovely site and from a couple of private messages from helpful posters, I've been conducting my job search via the following and just wondered if there is anything I am missing?

Any glaringly obvious websites that just give out jobs to Brits willy-nilly that I have not yet found? Cheers

1) Gulftalent, bayt, dubizzle, naukri, monstergulf, expatwoman
2) Linkedin networking (aka stalking)
3) Speculative CVs to a few companies I dream of working for
4) Speculative CVs to recruitment agencies (in some cases I managed to get the contact email of actual employees, which I hold my hands up to, may be annoying for them). I haven't followed any of my speculative CVs to recruiters up with phone calls - is this worth it?

Cheers guys

Saff
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of
Default Re: The job search so far.. am I missing anything?

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Hello board fellows,

After lifting tips off this lovely site and from a couple of private messages from helpful posters, I've been conducting my job search via the following and just wondered if there is anything I am missing?

Any glaringly obvious websites that just give out jobs to Brits willy-nilly that I have not yet found? Cheers

1) Gulftalent, bayt, dubizzle, naukri, monstergulf, expatwoman
2) Linkedin networking (aka stalking)
3) Speculative CVs to a few companies I dream of working for
4) Speculative CVs to recruitment agencies (in some cases I managed to get the contact email of actual employees, which I hold my hands up to, may be annoying for them). I haven't followed any of my speculative CVs to recruiters up with phone calls - is this worth it?

Cheers guys

Saff
Yes, you are missing "WASTA" which is the fast way to get a job anywhere in the Gulf.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EastWest
Yes, you are missing "WASTA" which is the fast way to get a job anywhere in the Gulf.
Mate, after all this, I plan on being my own wasta!

Saff
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Mate, after all this, I plan on being my own wasta!

Saff
Good on you. I am afraid this plan wont work in Gulf countries. My advice is don't ever expect a reply to your application if the employer is Arab. They don't bother replying. I told you in a previous thread I made more than 50 applications in ~6 months and got reply only from non-Arab prospective employers!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EastWest
Good on you. I am afraid this plan wont work in Gulf countries. My advice is don't ever expect a reply to your application if the employer is Arab. They don't bother replying. I told you in a previous thread I made more than 50 applications in ~6 months and got reply only from non-Arab prospective employers!
Quite sour you are!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:59 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Not merely worth it, absolutely necessary. In my experience few recruiters are reliable in being able to understand what a candidate's particular strengths are, and--as with all of us--we tend to follow up those things we're chased on. Moreover, follow up every single CV you submit--HR departments are generally useless, and you need to chase every application you make. And despite what agents will tell you, sending your CV out to every agent in sight does not diminish your worth or standing in the marketplace, it gets you maximum coverage which is exactly what you want.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 9:59 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

In the last company I worked for they didn't take recruitment seriously - or in the way that I would consider seriously.

My colleague advertised for a Western standard 3d video artist with network experience, expecting the applications to come to him. The receptionist had other ideas. Despite being told to give them to the head of creative she gave them to...

...one of the junior computer guys to sift through...

He sat quite near me and I could tell that someone wasn't right when I heard him questioning some people over the phone. It was like a comedy sketch. We found loads of really great CV's in the bin - he'd been binning anything without a picture on it. He had lined up interviews with people who were nowhere near qualified for the job, because he had no idea what the job was.

I suddenly realised why the english scriptwriter I had couldn't write (in any language) and why numerous other employees were an odd fit for their jobs. Employment was such a hit and miss affair. After they sacked all of us westerners they then made the office manager Head of Creative, before realising that "liking art" wasn't a decent qualification for the job and begged the sacked westerners to come back.

I'd follow up on every damn CV you send and do that with the actual person you would be reporting to should you get the job. As it could be an effort in itself (getting past receptionists can be ... Challenging), I'd award you bonus points for successfully tracking them down.

Oh man, sometimes I miss that madness. And then I remember I wanted to kill people every single day.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

If it's Oil & Gas you're interested in, also register & upload your CV at:

RigZone.com

Oilandgasjobsearch.com

I registered on both and within a couple of hours had a call from one recruiter who saw my profile on O&G and actually seemed to know what he was talking about.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Not merely worth it, absolutely necessary. In my experience few recruiters are reliable in being able to understand what a candidate's particular strengths are, and--as with all of us--we tend to follow up those things we're chased on. Moreover, follow up every single CV you submit--HR departments are generally useless, and you need to chase every application you make. And despite what agents will tell you, sending your CV out to every agent in sight does not diminish your worth or standing in the marketplace, it gets you maximum coverage which is exactly what you want.
Cheers Bahtatboy. I'm probably not aggressive enough with chasing things up - I shall whip out my fangs and be Queen Pesterer from now on!

Thanks for the tips

Saff x
Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lullabelle
In the last company I worked for they didn't take recruitment seriously - or in the way that I would consider seriously.

My colleague advertised for a Western standard 3d video artist with network experience, expecting the applications to come to him. The receptionist had other ideas. Despite being told to give them to the head of creative she gave them to...

...one of the junior computer guys to sift through...

He sat quite near me and I could tell that someone wasn't right when I heard him questioning some people over the phone. It was like a comedy sketch. We found loads of really great CV's in the bin - he'd been binning anything without a picture on it. He had lined up interviews with people who were nowhere near qualified for the job, because he had no idea what the job was.

I suddenly realised why the english scriptwriter I had couldn't write (in any language) and why numerous other employees were an odd fit for their jobs. Employment was such a hit and miss affair. After they sacked all of us westerners they then made the office manager Head of Creative, before realising that "liking art" wasn't a decent qualification for the job and begged the sacked westerners to come back.

I'd follow up on every damn CV you send and do that with the actual person you would be reporting to should you get the job. As it could be an effort in itself (getting past receptionists can be ... Challenging), I'd award you bonus points for successfully tracking them down.

Oh man, sometimes I miss that madness. And then I remember I wanted to kill people every single day.
Crikey!

I had to chuckle at the "liking art" bit hah. Shame about the binning CVs without photos though! My British CV is photo-less but I've been attaching one for Gulf jobs although quite begrudgingly!

One recruiter took it upon himself to email me from his personal account to compliment my picture and send some bog-standard flirtation my way and asked if he could call me to "chat"! As flattering as it was (for 2 seconds) I was annoyed that any quality in my CV had been ignored (there's me assuming I have some lol) for a photograph

Thanks for the stories though, makes me realise how important it is to relentlessly chase up!

Saff x

Last edited by Saff_Parker; Jun 26th 2012 at 6:44 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
If it's Oil & Gas you're interested in, also register & upload your CV at:

RigZone.com

Oilandgasjobsearch.com

I registered on both and within a couple of hours had a call from one recruiter who saw my profile on O&G and actually seemed to know what he was talking about.
Thanks! I hadn't found that one yet

Saff x
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Saff_Parker

I was working in Saudi Arabia on a project between 2010 and 2011.
You are doing all the right things. Jobs boards like gulftalent and bayt. Using linkedin and directly calling recruiters.

Don't get disheartened. Ramadan starts on July 20th and everything will shut down for a month. August is slow at the best of times. Unlikely that anything will move before September.

If you would consider roles in Saudi Arabia - Leap29 (based Manchester) and Oil Recruitment (in Chester) are both excellent and responsive.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:00 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Bahtatboy. I'm probably not aggressive enough with chasing things up - I shall whip out my fangs and be Queen Pesterer from now on!

Thanks for the tips

Saff x
You're welcome

ps You could email your photo if you wanted to...

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Jun 27th 2012 at 12:10 pm. Reason: I didn't really type "you're" for "your", did I?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
You're welcome

ps You could email you're photo if you wanted to...
To you? Like fangs do ya? Haha

Saff
Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Southlondoner
Hello Saff_Parker

I was working in Saudi Arabia on a project between 2010 and 2011.
You are doing all the right things. Jobs boards like gulftalent and bayt. Using linkedin and directly calling recruiters.

Don't get disheartened. Ramadan starts on July 20th and everything will shut down for a month. August is slow at the best of times. Unlikely that anything will move before September.

If you would consider roles in Saudi Arabia - Leap29 (based Manchester) and Oil Recruitment (in Chester) are both excellent and responsive.
Thank you for the encouragement! I'll check out Leap29 and Oil Recruitment

Saff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.