Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job offer in the Magic Kingdom

Job offer in the Magic Kingdom

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

ReaverCaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer in the Magic Kingdom

Hello all,
I have been looking at the forum for the last 2 months, due to the possibility of employment in Riyadh, and have come to the opinion that you all seem OK
i know this question has probably been done to death, but i am after some advice RE a job offer. i have been offered a position in Riyadh as a Clerk of Works (says Construction Manager on contract!?) for a large regional/multinational interior fit out contractor.
The offer is :-
initial one year contract, with option to extend
Grade 10 position?(any ideas?)
30000 SR a month(paid according to Gregorian calendar)
Accomodation provided by Company
Transportation provided by Company
Medical insurance provided (need to clarify details)
30 days vacation + statutory and public holidays
Flight? (does not state how many
Hours of work?(none mentioned in contract)
Bonus-at discretion of management
The offer covers immediate family, however, if i take the position, i will be leaving the family at home.(kids are all grown and left the nest!! )
the advice i need is this:-
As the contract states that the total package is for 30000 SR a month, how would my final completion of contract payment be calculated? would a monetary value be placed on the provided accomodation and transport?
how many flights per year is the norm?
should i push for an accomodation allowance? (ive been told that the company have rented an apartment block, but there are no facilities provided with it)
should i ask for life insurance to be provided? (normal in UK)
should i ask for working hours to be indicated on contract?

i am flying to Riyadh on the 26th to have a look at the job, conditions there, accomodation provided etc, and would like to be in a position to negotiate final terms whilst in country.

Hope sombody can provide the advice i need
ReaverCaine
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: Job offer in the Magic Kingdom

The salary of SR 30000 plus conditions accommodation in a rented apartment etc. Are typical of what I would pay for a properly qualified (most certificates in KSA are forgeries) competent well experienced Indian/Pakistani/Filipino RE. Expect to work 60 hours/week. 1 flight/year would be normal. I cannot remember what the terminal gratuity is but you can google and find out.

The post is only suitable for a bachelor. You don't mention a wife but it would not be suitable.

I can only say the salary is at the bottom of the range but it depends on your experience and qualifications. You are competing with degree qualified reasonably experienced and competent TCNs. And that is who you will be sharing accommodation with.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Indian or other TCN would be paid a fraction of that !
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scot47
Indian or other TCN would be paid a fraction of that !
I would agree SR 30000 it is top of the range fot TC N, but it is what we are paying at the top. SR 10,000 at the bottom for graduates. We have no western site staff on less than SR 30,000.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

desertman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
I would agree SR 30000 it is top of the range fot TC N, but it is what we are paying at the top. SR 10,000 at the bottom for graduates. We have no western site staff on less than SR 30,000.
Are you saying that all western stuff have 30k + housing allowance + transporatation + other benefits (school, tickets, etc)??
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Sorry everybody,
probably should have given you an idea of my experience.
started as labourer, became a C & G qualified bricklayer. worked on the tools for 17 years, did my HND in construction Management, then My Bachelors Degree in Building Design Management, worked in site management for 8 years, then for a building warranty provider/ approved inspector as a senior site surveyor for 3 years. Then i started as a sub contract consultant clerk of works, which i have been doing for the last 4 years. generally work on contracts for university's, developers etc. last couple of jobs have been for Durham University, working on Durham Castle refurb, Palace Green Library refurb, Durham Business School refurb, etc
Based on the above experience, and with the skill set earned through 30 years in construction, what level of salary, in Pounds Sterling, do you think i should be looking at? bearing in mind that most jobs in saudi, advertised in the Uk, are paying anywhere between 35K and 100K?
your comments are greatly appreciated
By the way, what is TCN?
Reaver Caine
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Third Country National. US Militaryspeak. Non-US, non-local but from another nationality. So technically a Brit working for a US company in KSA would be one, but it is always use to mean someone from the Third World - usually Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Country_National
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:45 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

The salary of SR 30000 plus conditions accommodation in a rented apartment etc. Are typical of what I would pay for a properly qualified (most certificates in KSA are forgeries) competent well experienced Indian/Pakistani/Filipino RE. Expect to work 60 hours/week. 1 flight/year would be normal. I cannot remember what the terminal gratuity is but you can google and find out.

The post is only suitable for a bachelor. You don't mention a wife but it would not be suitable.

I can only say the salary is at the bottom of the range but it depends on your experience and qualifications. You are competing with degree qualified reasonably experienced and competent TCNs. And that is who you will be sharing accommodation with.
5000 UK pounds a month , don't think so for those nationalities.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 5:27 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

The money you are speaking of is too high for a clerk of works but about right for a construction manager.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 5:29 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Do you put all your staff together in one company accommodation block? One flight per year only?
Just curious as it sounds fairly harsh for western employees
Old Apr 24th 2013, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Weasel,
i have no idea if this is there normal procedure. the project manager i have been dealing with has a home in Dubai, but works in saudi. all management team are in the apartment block (so ive been told!) so the plan is to get out there this friday, and ask questions.
Reaver Caine
Old May 4th 2013, 6:59 am
Just Joined

marrakech is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh never thought one can predict salaries based on nationality instead of competence and valid credentials?
Old May 4th 2013, 8:16 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marrakech
Oh never thought one can predict salaries based on nationality instead of competence and valid credentials?
You pretty much can in a lot of the middle east. And you can pretty much predict lack of competence on nationality, too.
Old May 4th 2013, 8:32 am
Just Joined

marrakech is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
You pretty much can in a lot of the middle east. And you can pretty much predict lack of competence on nationality, too.
And why generalize? is that only me who sees this as too much generalization?
Old May 4th 2013, 9:24 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marrakech
And why generalize? is that only me who sees this as too much generalization?
Because I answered your question. In my experience, generally, my answer is true. There are specific instances which are different from that generalisation.

Its a bit like you asking, "can birds fly?". Generally, yes. But there are specific examples of birds which cannot fly.

If you want an absolute answer: No, you cannot always predict a person's salary from his nationality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.