Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job Hunting Tips Please Help!

Job Hunting Tips Please Help!

Old May 29th 2014, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting Tips Please Help!

Originally Posted by Scamp
All I've done is managed to move to Dubai and make the cash money (and spend it).
I had the job title of 'Senior Executive' when I was 26. Senior Executive with about 3 years work experience and 6 layers of management above me before the Partner.

There was nothing Senior or Executive about me - doubt the suit even fitted properly, and the only thing in my executive bag was my sandwiches.

That said, I did buy and sell two houses by that age. The senior executive job was pocket money to what I was making riding the housing bubble.

Last edited by Millhouse; May 29th 2014 at 5:01 am.
Old May 29th 2014, 5:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I had the job title of 'Senior Executive' when I was 26. Senior Executive with about 3 years work experience and 6 layers of management above me before the Partner.

There was nothing Senior or Executive about me - doubt the suit even fitted properly, and the only thing in my executive bag was my sandwiches.

That said, I did buy and sell two houses by that age. The senior executive job was pocket money to what I was making riding the housing bubble.
But did you sell your services to clients?

I'm a 'Senior' and about to become 'Principal'. I've done this job about 8 years...in an Engineering Consultancy for example they deem Principals to be 15+yrs (give or take) + Chartered.

Go to less techy consultancies and they will call young guys Managers and Senior Cost Consultants or Senior PMs because they can charge clients more.

It's all a load of bullshit anyway. Only one person asked me what my job title was - back then it was 'Account Executive' and he said it sounded alright....then went on a rant about recruiters meeting him and being called Senior or Manager or whatever. Told us it took him 15years to become a Project Manager and he won't look at any CVs or people unless their titles are sensible...in his eyes.

What can you do?
Old May 29th 2014, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

But did you sell your services to clients?
Yup. For the princely sum of 350 quid an hour. I think I got about a 1/15 of my charge out rate.

The lowest grade back then was Executive. They were our fresh graduates.
Old May 29th 2014, 5:55 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Ignore the men- they are generally a bunch of miserable bastards at the mo.

As we come into Ramadanadingdong time not much will happen anyway, so I would say Sept/Oct would be the best time to start looking as everything goes to shit over the summer.
I'm not a miserable bastard I'll have you know but you are right about waiting until after Ramadan

The problem is that you simply do not have enough experience. Don't misread that as me being nasty - let me explain.

CVs here are inflated beyond belief and I've seen 26 year old investment bankers with titles of 'Managing Director - Head of Investment Banking' etc. In the UK we would call these people analysts or the head of photocopying. It's simply title inflation - and thus is discredited by anyone with half a brain. I'm not saying this is what you have done, but it's the box you will be put in. What counts is years under your belt and something tangible as an outcome.

The typical 26 year old Brit with 'business acumen' ends up in real estate, recruitment or flogging pension products to suckers. Unfortunately you fit into that profile even if you are better than that.

If you are currently running your own shop then try and do something similar over here. There maybe a credit control outsourcing market here - I have no idea. Although from what I have seen these roles are staffed by Indians working for peanuts - maybe there are some chief jobs available. I would probably try and go down this road.

So... my advice, come here again and without the holiday tints on and have a serious look around. Sitting in the UK and firing the CV at companies isn't going to work. To give you an example, a typical job here receives 400+ applications, of which maybe 1 or 2 are good enough to get called in for interview - we regularly go through this process and don't make an offer and find someone via the network.
I agree with this, and it was essentially what I was trying to say earlier. A realistic appraisal of your situation is required, not to be disheartened by it but to better assess the opportunities and target them.
Old May 29th 2014, 6:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yup. For the princely sum of 350 quid an hour. I think I got about a 1/15 of my charge out rate.

The lowest grade back then was Executive. They were our fresh graduates.
Exactly. Bump up the title, bump up the rate. WGAF?
Old May 29th 2014, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Minnie,

Yep feel free to PM me. I'm not sure how much help I would be but I can give you an outsiders opinion. Scamp sees CVs on a daily basis though so he may be of more use.

In no disrespect to you Minnie, my initial reaction to what you have said on here is below;

I must admit my biggest question would be if you have your own business why do you want to close your business and come and work for me in a new country.

I would guess business is not doing so well and business is being closed and you're moving abroad to start again. In which case I then ask why is your business not doing well and I would look very heavily at the details, is it due to your fault, why has your business not worked? If the business is doing well why would you close it and come and work for me? and if you are keeping your own business going are you going to be focused on my business and deliver to the standard I need you to if you have the distraction of your own company. Also if you are used to director positioning does that mean you will stay in a less senior role for any length of time or are you just filling a gap?

I know a lot of 20 somethings who have their own businesses, straight from college with no real work experience (as in a good length of time at a successful money making business that is well structured and professional- not working our of your garage, this also doesn't include work placements, I mean real jobs with real responsibilities for a business that makes millions), I also know the majority of them make no money if not a loss and are funded by the bank of dad or husband. In reality the majority of business owners are not Richard Branson. Hell I was the director of my own brand at 24 when I had a market stall on Portobello market- I was lucky to make 100 quid sales (forget profit) for a 18 hour day (door to door), it was bloody hard work and I have the utmost respect for anyone who takes the initiative to run their own business however look back now and realize I absolutely didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I loved doing it and had a full time job that payed the rent and learnt a huge amount so was able to run on a loss for a while. Obviously, I am tainting you with the same brush from my own experience and the individuals I know. I also know a couple of people that have been hugely successful and make millions- but they don't want to come and work for me for that exact reason.

On the other hand anyone that has been self employed brings a certain skill set which is interesting; work ethic, focus and drive and is less likely to procrastinate as they are used to time being money.

Like the guys have said are you overselling yourself? if not then the questions above would become even more valid. I'm not having a pop just saying it as it would look to me if I was given your info.

KC
Old May 29th 2014, 7:05 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Bump up the title, bump up the rate. WGAF?
I do, when I have a bunch of essentially junior guys all calling themselves managers. Who cannot manage because they have zero experience of management, plus are missing out on the essential experience they should be getting at the lower level.
I see it at meetings all the time, ridiculous suggestions or ideas because they haven't the knowledge to know it can't work or is completely impractical.

On the plus side it makes the real (average) managers look like superstars.
Old May 29th 2014, 7:23 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Come on chaps .. new member and all that. I know you don't pull any punches but it would be nice if we held back a little?
Old May 29th 2014, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I do, when I have a bunch of essentially junior guys all calling themselves managers. Who cannot manage because they have zero experience of management, plus are missing out on the essential experience they should be getting at the lower level.
I see it at meetings all the time, ridiculous suggestions or ideas because they haven't the knowledge to know it can't work or is completely impractical.

On the plus side it makes the real (average) managers look like superstars.
You're not paying for them though, you just get to look good in front of the client when you run them in circles.

You're not wrong though, in recruitment managers are generally people who bill lots and need to be given bigger basic salaries so they don't leave. Big billers don't always make good managers.

I'd back myself to be a better manager than I am a biller.

One firm I used to work for had it right, get to 'Principal' then choose one of two paths - bigger targets and more money to just bill OR team to manage, lower personal targets, more money.
Old May 29th 2014, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

SupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by minnie16
Hi All.

I wonder if anyone is able to help me. I am looking to move to the UAE. Preferably Dubai /Abu Dhabi but am struggling to find positions.

I am 26, with a degree (BA Hons Business and Marketing) and background in Marketing and Business development. I currently have my own business essentially managing finance departments (in particular Credit Management) for SME's and PLC's.

Although young(ish) and being quintessentially British struggle to say, I am quite advanced for my age having roles at director level with a vast skill set.

I am engaged and soon to be married so it would be both of us moving and have been taking Arabic lessons to try to advance our chances.

Does anyone have any advice to offer of how to actually find a job, where to look, what makes an application stand out etc?

Currently applying with gulf talent, reed and guardian.

Any help would be much appreciated as we are desperate to move out there.

Many Thanks

Minnie16
Hi Minnie, I am new in this forum too and got a similar response from mikewot as you did. He wasn't happy about me mentioning my academic achievements and resorted to bashing my use of grammar. Ignore him.

As for your question, I am in the same boat. My fiance and I are both also looking to move to UAE (preferably Dubai or Abu Dhabi) and continue our careers there. We applied to dozens of jobs online and didn't have much luck.

Although I still haven't had anything concrete, I did have a conversation with a creative director at OSN after my uncle gave me his direct email address. It really seems to be a case of 'who you know' in UAE.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by SupaRubz; May 29th 2014 at 4:58 pm.
Old May 29th 2014, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SupaRubz
It really seems to be a case of 'who you know' in UAE.
Old May 29th 2014, 9:56 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SupaRubz
It really seems to be a case of 'who you know' in UAE.

Best of luck to you.
As it is everywhere.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 11:11 am
Just Joined

SupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
As it is everywhere.
I agree but it seems to be more so over in UAE, but I may be wrong. I have applied for jobs in Singapore, USA and Germany (before deciding to only look in UAE) and was getting lots of responses for those, despite only having a CV and showreel to hand in. My friend from the States has also applied to various positions in the UK and got through to some interviews but in UAE, the only response I seem to have got was from emailing contacts from my uncle directly.

I also have a friend who now works in Abu Dhabi and he said it was because the recruitment officer at 2four54 was a friend of his father in law.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Welsh boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yes:
1) Skin colour is totally forbidden to be discussed in UK, out here it very much makes a difference.
2) When asked a question don't make people repeat it twice.
3) You may consider that you can casually quickly make a post and not give a sh1t about your English when making the sort of enquiry which you have done. In general in this bored you don't have to worry too much but in this part of the site and given the audience I would be more careful about the impression you're making. Remember that first impressions cannot be taken back.
Mike, you need to learn to spell to begin with - it's board not 'bored' - and your language below is a pathetic attempt at the language you are so proud of.

"You may consider that you can casually quickly make a post and not give a sh1t about your English when making the sort of enquiry which you have done. In general in this bored you don't have to worry too much but in this part of the site and given the audience I would be more careful about the impression you're making. Remember that first impressions cannot be taken back."

By the way, your comment "Maybe you are being Indian isn't it?" may be construed at a racist remark. Indians are for your information from a civilisation much more ancient than yours, hardworking and pay their taxes, so deserve some more respect. I'd go as far as to say that the majority of them would have an IQ that would equal the sum total of all your clan.

Shame on you.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Welsh boy
Mike, you need to learn to spell to begin with - it's board not 'bored' - and your language below is a pathetic attempt at the language you are so proud of.

"You may consider that you can casually quickly make a post and not give a sh1t about your English when making the sort of enquiry which you have done. In general in this bored you don't have to worry too much but in this part of the site and given the audience I would be more careful about the impression you're making. Remember that first impressions cannot be taken back."

By the way, your comment "Maybe you are being Indian isn't it?" may be construed at a racist remark. Indians are for your information from a civilisation much more ancient than yours, hardworking and pay their taxes, so deserve some more respect. I'd go as far as to say that the majority of them would have an IQ that would equal the sum total of all your clan.

Shame on you.
I can't help but think that fighting what you see as rudeness with rudeness is a bit like trying to put a fire out with petrol...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.