Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job Hunting - Is it the right time to land in the region?

Job Hunting - Is it the right time to land in the region?

Old May 1st 2011, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

enginethrust is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Hunting - Is it the right time to land in the region?

Pardon me if this subject has already bored you to death but I would like to hear views from people currently in UAE (and other GCC countries as well). I have read a lot of posts but looking for specific info.

I have been exploring job opportunities in the Middle East but haven't had a great deal of responses by applying online. (only once, back in Jan'11, had 3 phone interviews for a job but a local bagged it eventually!! ). However, I have heard from some people that employers/recruiters take you seriously if you are on the ground.

I would like to know if the timings (not clashing with holidays etc) and market hiring trends are suitable in may/jun for job hunt in the UAE? and if so, can you please give me a bit of guidance and share your experiences as to how one can maximise their chances?

Thank you very much for your time.

Kind Regards.
Old May 1st 2011, 10:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting - Is it the right time to land in the region?

It's always easier with the bums on seats approach, but how buoyant the local market is really depends on what your sector is, some are better than others, some are still dire with a horde of local bods already there etc.

You don't say, so you won't really get any better help than that really

Welcome to BE though
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:17 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting - Is it the right time to land in the region?

I really can't see the point of coming out here without any meetings / interviews lined up. If you don't know who to speak to before you come, you're unlikely to find out during a short stay here.

There must be loads of info on the web about how best to find a new job. But in a nutshell:

1 Use your own network (and really use it). Contact everyone you've ever known and tell them you're looking.
2 Ensure you have a) a generic CV, and b) a readily-customisable one. Use the former sparingly and the latter whenever you can, tailored to the job (or likely job) and the employer.
3 Research your market. Find our who has won major contracts in the region, who is expanding or hiring. Then find out, if you can, who the individual hirers are in each such organisation: this involves intensive web research and phone use. Most HR depts are useless, you really need to get through to the decision makers (ie the managers who actually need staff).
4 Register with as many reputable agencies as you can.
5 Never appear desperate.

Good luck