British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   How does your company cover school fees? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/how-does-your-company-cover-school-fees-718946/)

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 6th 2011 7:34 am

Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 9412842)
A lot of organizations still offer quite complex packages, and there are good reasons for doing so including the obvious issue of 'basic salary' being used as the basis for end of service, performance related/bonus calculations etc. Having remuneration spread across other allowances with a smaller basic salary can save a company a lot of money in the long run.

Even though Dubai is relatively a soft expat posting, it is much harder to have employees relocate an entire family than for singles/DINKYs. Family friendly packages are a key mechanism for getting experienced staff out here rather than younger people with little experience who think they know everything already (but don't).

Kids are very expensive, I can't see how you can possibly be 'better off' ie. more disposable income, even with family packages.

OK, sorry. I forgot.

For a decent employee they have to be married with 2.4 children because the other option is someone younger with little experience who think they know everything already (but don't).

Family packages are not as readily available as they were. I agree the way all-in's are broken down can vary, some specify each allocation, others will say "we will agree your monthly figure, and once we have that the ratios are; 60% of that is basic, 35% is housing, 5% transport".

Swings and roundabouts a lot of it. Some people demand a full package and others don't care, because an all-in means you get to sort out what you pay and how much, where you can cut costs and maximise savings etc.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 6th 2011 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9412858)
A 'family expat' will cost more to employ. However, one would hope that it is because they are a bit older and have more experience. However, a guy with 3 kids should cost no more to employ than a guy with 2 kids if they bring the same experience and skills to the table.
Remember, kids are the decision of the parent not the employer.

Now, don't me started on Mother & Child parking bays.

Amen.

Amazes me how some people can see it so differently.

al dente Jun 6th 2011 7:39 am

A 'family expat' will cost more to employ. However, one would hope that it is because they are a bit older and have more experience. However, a guy with 3 kids should cost no more to employ than a guy with 2 kids if they bring the same experience and skills to the table.

Now, don't me started on Parent & Child parking bays.

Not a fan?

al dente Jun 6th 2011 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9412867)
Amen.

Amazes me how some people can see it so differently.

I'm always intrigued by this. Isn't there an argument that if they want you, you can negotiate?

If i had 3 kids in the UK, at a great comp, and you wanted me more than the guy with 2 kids in the school, would you not grant me schooling for 3 rather than 2?

If i turned the job down (scared off by the BE post i made :D) would you not then offer the 2 child parent less to get him over? Why would you offer him more money if you didn't think you needed to?

Millhouse Jun 6th 2011 7:50 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9412874)
Not a fan?

No. Kids are a choice not a disability.

Oh, and why does Tescos insist on allocating some large % of the car park to disabled drivers when they must represent only 1% of road users?

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 6th 2011 7:54 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9412885)
I'm always intrigued by this. Isn't there an argument that if they want you, you can negotiate?

If i had 3 kids in the UK, at a great comp, and you wanted me more than the guy with 2 kids in the school, would you not grant me schooling for 3 rather than 2?

If i turned the job down (scared off by the BE post i made :D) would you not then offer the 2 child parent less to get him over? Why would you offer him more money if you didn't think you needed to?

Problem comes to greed. Coming from the UK with the whole family makes an entirely different situation compared to someone going and working on a single status somewhere.

Why should a company pay for Joe Blogg's kids' education? Dubai is hardly a tough place to live, people are earning more here than in the UK and are avoiding all tax on it, why not pay for your kids to go to school?

Sure it'd be great for the company to pay it for you but if they say, we have a limit of 2, but you have 3 kids, we still really want you but we can't do anything...turning it down would surely be down to greed alone?

I just think it's not a hard place to live out here, if you want to bring your family then great but it's your choice. But hey, just my opinion.

Sometimes I question why you'd want to bring kids up here? If you've got a live in maid, a great lifestyle, all the toys, treats and holidays you want...what will happen the nippers when they go back to the UK and to reality? Do people worry about that sort of stuff?

Anyway, not my issue, at least not for a long time yet.

ctfc Jun 6th 2011 7:55 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9412885)

Originally Posted by millhouse
However, a guy with 3 kids should cost no more to employ than a guy with 2 kids if they bring the same experience and skills to the table.

That's the point - ceteris paribus the number of kids 1,2,3 or 17 (like Sheikh Mo) should be irrelevant.

However, for senior positions (despite Scamp's sarcasm) quite often the best candidates have children so therefore need a package that reflects moving not just themselves but their family as well.

Given all the usual crap here, death on the roads, real probability of being kicked out in days, less than ideal schooling etc. that is a very serious commitment to make.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 6th 2011 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9412892)

Oh, and why does Tescos insist on allocating some large % of the car park to disabled drivers when they must represent only 1% of road users?

Kids have the freshest legs of all. Stick them near the back and let the kids go mental all the way to the door.

al dente Jun 6th 2011 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9412892)

They are parents and kids spaces not disabled spaces and the extra room to put carseats, baby capsules etc is really helpful. After being blocked in once with a baby capsule i do quite like them but effing hate people who park there with no kids in the car. That's taking the piss. I also love the trolleys there when you can put babies in. Feels so civilised, puts me in a browser kind a mood and possibly makes me buy more! Probably the end game.

However, I'm also amazed by the amount of disabled parking spots. Love to find out how many have been used at once (By disabled drivers not cheating chancers) ever. Wonder if it ever gets reviewed.

Mogs Jun 6th 2011 8:01 am

Now, don't me started on Mother & Child parking bays.

My company covers schooling as an allowance for all kids (irrespective of # of kids - i.e. if you have 4 kids, they are all covered same as if you only had 1 kid).

However, housing allowance is on different rates : Single or Couple or Family. The family rate is one rate irrespective of # of kids - ie someone with 1 kid gets same as someone with 4 kids.

I think this is a bit sh*t to be honest, but maybe I should re-consider my opinion as my company allowances appear to be better than a lot of other companies.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 6th 2011 8:02 am

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 9412906)
That's the point - ceteris paribus the number of kids 1,2,3 or 17 (like Sheikh Mo) should be irrelevant.

However, for senior positions (despite Scamp's sarcasm) quite often the best candidates have children so therefore need a package that reflects moving not just themselves but their family as well.

Given all the usual crap here, death on the roads, real probability of being kicked out in days, less than ideal schooling etc. that is a very serious commitment to make.

But you have to draw a line somewhere. I'm one of four. Should the company pay for all of us to be educated or draw a line and say; "I don't care how good you are / how good you think you are, that's the way it is"

Millhouse Jun 6th 2011 8:03 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9412911)
They are parents and kids spaces not disabled spaces and the extra room to put carseats, baby capsules etc is really helpful.

I agree - but why put them so near the doors? pointless.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 6th 2011 8:05 am

They are parents and kids spaces not disabled spaces and the extra room to put carseats, baby capsules etc is really helpful. After being blocked in once with a baby capsule i do quite like them but effing hate people who park there with no kids in the car. That's taking the piss. I also love the trolleys there when you can put babies in. Feels so civilised, puts me in a browser kind a mood and possibly makes me buy more! Probably the end game.

However, I'm also amazed by the amount of disabled parking spots. Love to find out how many have been used at once (By disabled drivers not cheating chancers) ever. Wonder if it ever gets reviewed.

The one time I parked in a mum / little shit space I got shouted at by a woman (using the term loosely)...My nephew jumped out the back and she still had a go, saying it was for "mother's".

ctfc Jun 6th 2011 8:06 am

Presumably they have to cater for the peak number of disabled visitors, which is probably about 10am on whichever morning of the week disability allowance is paid, or some similar calculation.

It's hardly a big deal to have to walk across a supermarket car park though is it? And we wonder why obesity is one the rise...

For the mothers & kids parking IMHO it does make sense with the very little ones as it's amazing how bulky all the stuff is, but once they're over 3 or 4 years old it's taking the piss also.

al dente Jun 6th 2011 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9412903)
Problem comes to greed. Coming from the UK with the whole family makes an entirely different situation compared to someone going and working on a single status somewhere.

Why should a company pay for Joe Blogg's kids' education? Dubai is hardly a tough place to live, people are earning more here than in the UK and are avoiding all tax on it, why not pay for your kids to go to school?

Sure it'd be great for the company to pay it for you but if they say, we have a limit of 2, but you have 3 kids, we still really want you but we can't do anything...turning it down would surely be down to greed alone?

I just think it's not a hard place to live out here, if you want to bring your family then great but it's your choice. But hey, just my opinion.

Sometimes I question why you'd want to bring kids up here? If you've got a live in maid, a great lifestyle, all the toys, treats and holidays you want...what will happen the nippers when they go back to the UK and to reality? Do people worry about that sort of stuff?

Anyway, not my issue, at least not for a long time yet.

Glad that my husband's company sees it very differently from you or we would never have come. Education is a huge issue for parents. Living here is soft if you're young and fancy free but there are serious considerations to make if you're a family. The maids stuff is great but it doesn't quite offset bigger issues (well at least for me).

I was an expat here and in Africa as a child. the 'reality' of the UK for me was nothing more than seriously crappy winters, so we moved to Australia. You adapt to the lifestyle of wherever you live. It was the sunshine i missed, not the princess lifestyle. When my husband received the phone call about the job here i told him that there was no way i wanted to be here. Then the offer kept improving and it became stupid not to come. I swallowed my tongue and spend at least 4 months a year out of here.