Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

How does your company cover school fees?

View Poll Results: How does your company cover school fees?
A
13
54.17%
B
4
16.67%
C
4
16.67%
D
3
12.50%
E
1
4.17%
1
8
33.33%
2
5
20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

How does your company cover school fees?

Old May 30th 2011, 2:59 am
  #1  
Hit 16's
Thread Starter
 
Bahtatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Posts: 13,112
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default How does your company cover school fees?

A Company pays, sufficient to send my kids to the school of my choice

B Company pays, contributes to >70% of the cost of sending my kids to the school of my choice

C Company pays, contributes to <70% of the cost of sending my kids to the school of my choice

D Company doesn't pay anything for schooling, but my total package is sufficient to send my kids to the school of my choice

E Company doesn't pay anything for schooling / my package is insufficient for my kids to go to the school of my choice, and I have had to compromise

1 Company pays more for schooling for kids of western expats than for kids of other nationalities

2 Company pays the same for schooling for kids of all nationalities


I'm interested to know companies' attitudes towards paying for their expat employees' kids' schooling. Any info additional to that in the poll would be welcome.

Please choose one from A-E, and either 1 or 2.

Thanks
Bahtatboy is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 3:03 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,887
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
A Company pays, sufficient to send my kids to the school of my choice

B Company pays, contributes to >70% of the cost of sending my kids to the school of my choice

C Company pays, contributes to <70% of the cost of sending my kids to the school of my choice

D Company doesn't pay anything for schooling, but my total package is sufficient to send my kids to the school of my choice

E Company doesn't pay anything for schooling / my package is insufficient for my kids to go to the school of my choice, and I have had to compromise

1 Company pays more for schooling for kids of western expats than for kids of other nationalities

2 Company pays the same for schooling for kids of all nationalities


I'm interested to know companies' attitudes towards paying for their expat employees' kids' schooling. Any info additional to that in the poll would be welcome.

Please choose one from A-E, and either 1 or 2.

Thanks
I voted A & D.

Those on US contracts get 'A', those on local contracts, after a bit of negotiation, get 'D'. I fall into the latter.

Those on the US contracts also get a significant portion (if not all) of their housing covered but are generally expected to move on every couple of years.

EDIT> can't re-vote, but it would be '2'. We would all get the same benefit regardless of nationality.
Millhouse is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 4:22 pm
  #3  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

what about company pays 100% of school fees for school of choice?
Blue Cat is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 4:23 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,887
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
what about company pays 100% of school fees for school of choice?
well, that would be "A" then...

Last edited by Millhouse; May 30th 2011 at 4:25 pm.
Millhouse is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 4:37 pm
  #5  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Very difficult to say having no kids myself....but, the packages we see and get offered vary massively.

A lot of firms will now just offer candidates the classic 'all-in' + flights and medical. So all your base, housing, transport and school fees are built in. A lot of the time they don't neccessarily specify how much of which.

Fewer firms break it down now and there is a gulf between what Western expats get compared to TCN's.

Just recruiting for one firm that pay AED 750 per month towards school fees for example - wherever you like (that is for an Indian chap)

Majority now just offer an all-in it seems.
scrubbedexpat141 is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 4:43 pm
  #6  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
well, that would be "A" then...
sufficient/enough, all sounds better
Blue Cat is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 4:54 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,887
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
sufficient/enough, all sounds better
agreed - perception is all in Dubai.
Millhouse is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 6:04 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,017
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

We try and not hire guys with more than 1 child and single status if possible . Hiring expats with say 4 kids is just too much total cost to the company .

Rough times but essential in the Construction industry at the moment . Obviously if the role demands it or seniority of the position dictates then we go with that but it's very rare .
co durham boy is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 6:21 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,887
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Originally Posted by co durham boy
We try and not hire guys with more than 1 child and single status if possible . Hiring expats with say 4 kids is just too much total cost to the company .

Rough times but essential in the Construction industry at the moment . Obviously if the role demands it or seniority of the position dictates then we go with that but it's very rare .
Too bloody right. I've always found it odd and a little hard to accept that someone is effectively paid more simply because they have more children.
Millhouse is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 6:34 pm
  #10  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Originally Posted by co durham boy
We try and not hire guys with more than 1 child and single status if possible . Hiring expats with say 4 kids is just too much total cost to the company .

Rough times but essential in the Construction industry at the moment . Obviously if the role demands it or seniority of the position dictates then we go with that but it's very rare .
the recession gave many companies the opportunity to get rid of the folk on these packagaes, it became too expensive to relocate families and singles or couples became the package of choice.
Blue Cat is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 6:46 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,017
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
the recession gave many companies the opportunity to get rid of the folk on these packagaes, it became too expensive to relocate families and singles or couples became the package of choice.
It's just simple maths , companies just can't afford to bear the cost anymore , especially for Western Expats it's unsustainable in the long term for private companies specifically in my industry.

There's also too many Western expats in the system in the construction industry in my opinion , there was an overload 5 years ago because of the boom , it has now got to correct itself and that's why we're seeing a decline in the Premiership packages which includes horrendous school fees .
co durham boy is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 7:59 pm
  #12  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Originally Posted by co durham boy
It's just simple maths , companies just can't afford to bear the cost anymore , especially for Western Expats it's unsustainable in the long term for private companies specifically in my industry.

There's also too many Western expats in the system in the construction industry in my opinion , there was an overload 5 years ago because of the boom , it has now got to correct itself and that's why we're seeing a decline in the Premiership packages which includes horrendous school fees .
and that is exactly why I we are still seeing redundancies, it is nearly 10 years ago since I worked in an HR Dept, annually we were told to cost each employee, the expensive ones went.
Blue Cat is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 9:19 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,017
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
and that is exactly why I we are still seeing redundancies, it is nearly 10 years ago since I worked in an HR Dept, annually we were told to cost each employee, the expensive ones went.
Fair play to anyone who's on a great Family package but i'm afraid they're a thing of the past and what was the norm is now the exception . The funny thing is some expats still want to be treated like royalty and demand deals that are unreal .

The main thing now is to make yourself employable and attractive to hire , we have a specified criteria that we look for in the current market and we find it cost effective and to our advantage .
co durham boy is offline  
Old May 30th 2011, 11:43 pm
  #14  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Fair play to anyone who's on a great Family package but i'm afraid they're a thing of the past and what was the norm is now the exception . The funny thing is some expats still want to be treated like royalty and demand deals that are unreal .

The main thing now is to make yourself employable and attractive to hire , we have a specified criteria that we look for in the current market and we find it cost effective and to our advantage .
Amen.
scrubbedexpat141 is offline  
Old May 31st 2011, 12:12 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Tockalosh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Up on the Ranches not down on the Springs
Posts: 2,109
Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your company cover school fees?

Never mind school fees that are fortunately a given with my employer, what about nursery fees and summer school fees that arent
5000 aed a term for nursery fees (3 days a week) and 1000 aed a week (3 days) for summer school.

My package really does need amending to cover these.

Whilst looking down on those with all in packages I still look up to our Directors packages which include maids allowances and club memberships. Aspirational and long may those packages continue. All spoken with Messers Barker, Corbett and Clees intonation before the all in package mob get frightfully upset
Tockalosh is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.