Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

HELP! couple planning to move to uae.

HELP! couple planning to move to uae.

Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

TheZigbin is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation HELP! couple planning to move to uae.

Hello Everyone!

My husband & I are planning on a 3week holiday in Oman this December 2011 to find a job, basically anywhere in UAE - Dubai, Qatar, Abu Dhabi, Oman, Bahrain..

We were told by my sister (who lives in Oman) that there are many job opportunities that comes in a good package for British Nationals in UAE, such as free housing, allowance, other incentives, and the like.

My husband is a British National, who has 5yrs work experience in Recruitment/HR and at the same time he's also a Website/PHP developer, and a have a degree in Psychology. Whilst I have worked as a store manager/product sales, and is currently working in healthcare field, and have a degree in Nursing.

I have few questions and PLS NO SILLY/STUPID ANSWERS.. tnx!

1. Would we have more chances of getting a job if we will apply there directly
OR
We should start applying online???

2. Is it really true that British Nationals can get a job there easily?

3. Any websites or companies that you would recommend?

We have 6months to prepare and to save.. so any RELEVANT information will be very helpful.

Your reply will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
TheZigbin
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:28 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! couple planning to move to uae.

Originally Posted by TheZigbin
Hello Everyone!

My husband & I are planning on a 3week holiday in Oman this December 2011 to find a job, basically anywhere in UAE - Dubai, Qatar, Abu Dhabi, Oman, Bahrain..

We were told by my sister (who lives in Oman) that there are many job opportunities that comes in a good package for British Nationals in UAE, such as free housing, allowance, other incentives, and the like.

My husband is a British National, who has 5yrs work experience in Recruitment/HR and at the same time he's also a Website/PHP developer, and a have a degree in Psychology. Whilst I have worked as a store manager/product sales, and is currently working in healthcare field, and have a degree in Nursing.

I have few questions and PLS NO SILLY/STUPID ANSWERS.. tnx!

1. Would we have more chances of getting a job if we will apply there directly
OR
We should start applying online???

2. Is it really true that British Nationals can get a job there easily?

3. Any websites or companies that you would recommend?

We have 6months to prepare and to save.. so any RELEVANT information will be very helpful.

Your reply will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
TheZigbin
You said no silly answers so i'll be straight to the point.

Enjoy your trip to Oman, but don't expect to find a job while you're there!

It's not like jobs in the Middle East are handed to people just because they're British, and please do some research before asking for help! There is loads of info on this forum, and your questions have been answered before.

What was the last thing I wanted to say again? Oh yeah now I remember, don't ask silly questions if you don't want silly answers..
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

It might be worthwhile for you to look at "Is it true what they say about UAE hiring culture?" by jjlar in the ME Jobs Discussion section.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:38 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

RELEVANT INFO
Would include forgetting about full expat packages given the fields you are both not really in
It will NOT be easy to find a job
Oman , Qatar and Bahrain are not in the UAE neither is Oman
Going to Oman won't help you in the slightest apart from the slim chance of catching a break in oman
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by norsk
You said no silly answers so i'll be straight to the point.

Enjoy your trip to Oman, but don't expect to find a job while you're there!

It's not like jobs in the Middle East are handed to people just because they're British, and please do some research before asking for help! There is loads of info on this forum, and your questions have been answered before.

What was the last thing I wanted to say again? Oh yeah now I remember, don't ask silly questions if you don't want silly answers..

oh cheers..
by the way, whereabouts in Middle East are you working or residing at the moment?

Last edited by TheZigbin; Jun 6th 2011 at 1:00 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OleJanx
It might be worthwhile for you to look at "Is it true what they say about UAE hiring culture?" by jjlar in the ME Jobs Discussion section.
Thank-you! x
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiva
RELEVANT INFO
Would include forgetting about full expat packages given the fields you are both not really in
It will NOT be easy to find a job
Oman , Qatar and Bahrain are not in the UAE neither is Oman
Going to Oman won't help you in the slightest apart from the slim chance of catching a break in oman
Apologies, it really shows that i have NO idea.
Just lived in SA, that's the only middle east i've been.
Thank-you anyway! x
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:30 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming this isn't a wind up...

If your husband's in Recruitment/HR then HE should know the best way to go about finding a job. Presumably he wants to stay in that field--but I can't quite get my head round the fact that if that's what he does (and is presumably good at), he'll know the best way about finding a new job. Flying somewhere on spec and trying to find a job is nuts.

If your sister's in Oman and says there are a lot of job opportunities, then presumably she's your best source.

If its web design, forget it. He'll be competing with half the subcontinent.

SA = Saudi? If that's where you are, then its not such a bad location from which to be looking for a job in the Middle East.

I say to my kids that there's no such thing as a silly question, but everything's got to be taken in context. If you want to come to the UAE you should at least know what it is.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

My mrs got a job after coming out here for 9 days (only one workign week though) but she is a teacher, they seem to have some demand.

However,we did bucket loads of research, loads of emailing and plenty of calling before I moved out here and she came to visit...

Only come if you have prepared and booked interviews / followed up on applications.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Assuming this isn't a wind up...

If your husband's in Recruitment/HR then HE should know the best way to go about finding a job. Presumably he wants to stay in that field--but I can't quite get my head round the fact that if that's what he does (and is presumably good at), he'll know the best way about finding a new job. Flying somewhere on spec and trying to find a job is nuts.

If your sister's in Oman and says there are a lot of job opportunities, then presumably she's your best source.

If its web design, forget it. He'll be competing with half the subcontinent.

SA = Saudi? If that's where you are, then its not such a bad location from which to be looking for a job in the Middle East.

I say to my kids that there's no such thing as a silly question, but everything's got to be taken in context. If you want to come to the UAE you should at least know what it is.
Thank-You so much! Yes, he's a head hunter but still trying to focus here in UK, and i'm the one opening doors for him in other country.
Yes, my father has been working in Saudi Arabia for 35yrs now..
and my sister has been all around UAE as well since 1992..
and now, she's the one pursuing us to TRY there.
That's why we'll book a 3week holiday to TRY our luck and at the same time to see my Mum & Dad. x
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scamp
My mrs got a job after coming out here for 9 days (only one workign week though) but she is a teacher, they seem to have some demand.

However,we did bucket loads of research, loads of emailing and plenty of calling before I moved out here and she came to visit...

Only come if you have prepared and booked interviews / followed up on applications.
That's very helpful! x Thank-You.
Well, if we both end up having a job at the end of 3week holiday.. then fantastic! If not, when we get back here in UK.. we both still have jobs.
There's no harm in trying.
However, i don't know.. but it has been proven by my sister & few friends.. women get job easily compared to men.. or maybe it's just luck!
My sister's husband told me, all CV's from men are placed directly to the bin. I thought it was a joke.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:01 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

the more i read the more convinced i am that this has to be a wind-up.

i have never read such ridiculous twaddle in my life. if you are for real then i actually feel sorry for you.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly it's not just Americans who seem to think they can just walk into well paid jobs in other countries...

(SA = South Africa, KSA = Saudi in general forum terms)
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

My only advice is to hire a car with GPS. Given your lack of basic geography you'll be ****ed without it.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:10 am
Just Joined

strothard is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice one Millhouse!

Going by the language and general lack of knowledge I think they may be from the sub-continent?......

but "British" of course..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.