Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Finding a job in the Middle East with no contacts

Finding a job in the Middle East with no contacts

Old Apr 7th 2014, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Sam_Reed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a job in the Middle East with no contacts

My resume is up on all the middle east job boards and I've applied directly through the companies I want to work for, but to no avail. How the heck do I go about getting a job in the Middle East? My skills seem to be in high demand and there are a lot of openings, but I'm getting no responses. I've been applying for about a year. I'm a financial analyst in the US

Last edited by Sam_Reed; Apr 7th 2014 at 6:39 am.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job in the Middle East with no contacts

Originally Posted by Sam_Reed
My skills
What are they? And, how much experience do you have? Where in the Middle East are you trying to move to?

Generally the recruitment process here is much slower than you'd expect in the UK, so don't write off all the applications you've made just yet.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Sam_Reed is an unknown quantity at this point

Financial analyst. I'm 37. I have about 10 years experence in finance/accounting

Last edited by Sam_Reed; Apr 7th 2014 at 6:40 am.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

You need to be very patient. Network and network and network. Without contact and network you may land a job, but not a good job or the job you dream of. The big fish needs a good network.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Have you got a good CV? IE; stable?
Old Apr 7th 2014, 1:46 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Gah - why is there a rash of accounting people on the boards?

Folks, you need to realise that the Middle East is becoming more and more local, with more and more mobile GCC nationals perfectly qualified, trained, intelligent and competent, Arabic speaking, culturally aware and cheaper than expats - and this is very very apparent in the Accounting / Financial Management sector. As I've mentioned in a couple of other threads, you need to show what you have different above and beyond a national - whether that is a speciality, high level qualifications, something non generic.

Consider getting a job in the UK with a firm that has links to the middle east, and then with patience getting a transfer, because quite frankly you are going to find it tougher and tougher to get a job independently.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

SupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant future

You are right OriginalSunshine. I am a Promo Producer in the UK with experience working for Sky. I also have a first class Masters degree but still cant get a job in Dubai.

Having said that, another student who did same course as me, and was working at a company less established than Sky, and also working at a lower position got a job in Dubai ahead of me. He speaks arabic.

I think Arabic speaking seems like a vital thing. I can read it but cant conversate in it
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:57 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

converse
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:51 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SupaRubz
You are right OriginalSunshine. I am a Promo Producer in the UK with experience working for Sky. I also have a first class Masters degree but still cant get a job in Dubai.

Having said that, another student who did same course as me, and was working at a company less established than Sky, and also working at a lower position got a job in Dubai ahead of me. He speaks arabic.

I think Arabic speaking seems like a vital thing. I can read it but cant conversate in it
I think its more than just being able to speak it, its understanding the culture behind it. Also relevant could be the salary expectations of many Arabs working in the region.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

conversate
A word used by backwards, ignorant, illiterate inner city trash who mean to say 'converse'.
"Yo, I just needs to conversate witcha!"
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

SupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant future

Wow the grammar police are out. I'll grammar and spell check everything from now on.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Wow the grammar police are out. I'll grammar and spell check everything from now on.
It was a word I've never seen in my, fairly long, life. So I looked it up because I ain't been hangin' wit my homies blood!

One other point you have a "first class Masters degree" so I'd assume you are looking to wow people out here. First impressions really do count and you have certainly made an impression on me.

Last edited by mikewot; Apr 17th 2014 at 5:25 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

They don't want to hire a foreigner ? Especially one with no local language skills.

Last edited by scot47; Apr 17th 2014 at 6:45 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Your course is designed to get you into employment in the Middle East? There's a whole lot of semantic alarm bells ringing away over your middle paragraph.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
It was a word I've never seen in my, fairly long, life. So I looked it up because I ain't been hangin' wit my homies blood!

One other point you have a "first class Masters degree" so I'd assume you are looking to wow people out here. First impressions really do count and you have certainly made an impression on me.
I am looking to wow people out in Dubai and I hope my work and education would put me in a decent position to apply and get considered for jobs. I worked hard for that degree and paid a shed load of money to do the course. Of course getting a Distinction makes me proud and I don't see any reason to hide it.

I would need to use any advantage I have to try land a job there and I think that the MA Degree would be one of the things that might make my CV stand out.

It seems people get disgruntled when someone mentions anything like an MA or a PHD or whatever. I really don't see why? Is there something wrong with getting a good education?

Last edited by SupaRubz; Apr 22nd 2014 at 3:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.