Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Expat Life as a petroleum engineer for Qatar Petroleum

Expat Life as a petroleum engineer for Qatar Petroleum

Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:44 am
Just Joined

ExpatExplorer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat Life as a petroleum engineer for Qatar Petroleum

Hello Forum

I'm new to this website and I have a few questions that I hope some experienced expats living in Qatar can answer. My husband and I are potentially considering living abroad in Qatar, while my husband works for Qatar Petroleum as a petroleum engineer (Master degree in Petroleum Engineering + 14 years of experience). We're a childless family from Texas, USA looking to see more of the world and it's wonders. We're eagerly reaching out to find a network of people who may be able help us with this life changing decision.

1) We obviously understand people move to hardship zones for the pay, but, at the end of the day it's a numbers game. My husband currently makes $185,000 USD base pay, + 401K match, annual bonus (20-35%) and the usual medical, dental, vacation, etc. In Texas, the cost of living is reasonable and the only hardship seems to come from some humidity a few months out of the year. Question is, what kind of pay should someone like my husband expect to receive in Qatar and is it worth "the hardship"?

2) Does anyone know how many vacation days are offered annually by QP, what their office work hours are and what is the risk of being laid off for someone in his line of work?

3) I've read abit about this town called Dukhan, apparently it's an housing area for QP staff. Is this where all expat staff reside or are there QP provided housing facilities in Doha were he'd be working?

4) A. An abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables are a must in our daily diet. Is the cost for perishable items outrageous or is it subsidized by the government like in the USA or Saudi Arabia? B. Lastly, what is the freshness quality and availability of organic, non-genetically modified food?

5) Has anyone had any experience working for Saudi Aramco living in Saudi Arabia and who has also worked/lived in Qatar that can provide us with some comparable insight? Which company/place is better?

Any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help in advance.

L
Old Oct 20th 2014, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Expat Life as a petroleum engineer for Qatar Petroleum

Looking at your current financial situation and location, I'm finding it hard to come up with any reason for you to move here.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 12:36 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Life as a petroleum engineer for Qatar Petroleum

Stop at point 1. QP probably will not be able to match that plus a top up.