Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

End of Service/Gratuity - stupid question, but would appreciate any feedback

End of Service/Gratuity - stupid question, but would appreciate any feedback

Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:40 am
Expat Brat

K8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura about
Default End of Service/Gratuity - stupid question, but would appreciate any feedback

Just to give you a quick rundown - was terminated/made redundant just before Eid, which made finding another job a little difficult, as I lost 10 days due to the holiday - good news, I found a new job and these are my questions:
  • Old company cancelled my visa last week - however, are still refusing to handover end of service benefits until I get my new employment visa - is this allowed?
  • I haven't paid my loans or credit cards in two months due to the redundancy, and while the banks are being pretty nice about it - I am getting very nervous. Does anyone know how long it will take them to start legal proceedings against me?

I don't want the police banging down my door because of my stupid old company? I am getting really angry with old company and now feel I've lost my last good card (visa).

Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated.

Ta
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Service/Gratuity - stupid question, but would appreciate any feedback

Originally Posted by K8-notlate
Just to give you a quick rundown - was terminated/made redundant just before Eid, which made finding another job a little difficult, as I lost 10 days due to the holiday - good news, I found a new job and these are my questions:
  • Old company cancelled my visa last week - however, are still refusing to handover end of service benefits until I get my new employment visa - is this allowed?
  • I haven't paid my loans or credit cards in two months due to the redundancy, and while the banks are being pretty nice about it - I am getting very nervous. Does anyone know how long it will take them to start legal proceedings against me?

I don't want the police banging down my door because of my stupid old company? I am getting really angry with old company and now feel I've lost my last good card (visa).

Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated.

Ta
yeh companies like to be able to transfer visa over before giving you eosb, you have to sign piece of paper to say that you have accepted and then they can do the transfer etc.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Service/Gratuity - stupid question, but would appreciate any feedback

Originally Posted by busybee2
yeh companies like to be able to transfer visa over before giving you eosb, you have to sign piece of paper to say that you have accepted and then they can do the transfer etc.
This is not quite true.

End of service should be paid when the visa is cancelled. The fact that you have found another employment is not a factor - it would be the case if the visa was being transfered, but yours has already been cancelled.

I did have to leave the UAE before I could get a new visa though.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:12 am
Expat Brat

K8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
This is not quite true.

End of service should be paid when the visa is cancelled. The fact that you have found another employment is not a factor - it would be the case if the visa was being transfered, but yours has already been cancelled.

I was under that impression - am going to seek a lawyers council on this one, as after more than seven weeks, and potential threat from the banks, I think I have grounds.

On the visa bit, did you mean do a quick flit in and out of the country, or did you have to leave for a specified time - is nationality a factor.

Cheers mate, and thanks to busybee2 as well
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K8-notlate
I was under that impression - am going to seek a lawyers council on this one, as after more than seven weeks, and potential threat from the banks, I think I have grounds.

On the visa bit, did you mean do a quick flit in and out of the country, or did you have to leave for a specified time - is nationality a factor.

Cheers mate, and thanks to busybee2 as well
I just popped over the border to Hatta for the day. You don't have to leave, but it will cost you 500Dh (and as we were a family of 3 it started to add up).
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:48 am
Expat Brat

I just popped over the border to Hatta for the day. You don't have to leave, but it will cost you 500Dh (and as we were a family of 3 it started to add up).
Thanks - you're a star - DH is travelling to Beirut soon, so no need to worry there - as for me - will take the scenic route to Hatta with a stop for lunch at the Fort - you've cheered me up no end.

Ta
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

This is not quite true.

well true as some people leave the country, but the issue if you do have another job is that its easier to transfer visa rather than to start again that is what i mean. and so some companies like to withhold until transfer etc
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:15 pm
Expat Brat

well true as some people leave the country, but the issue if you do have another job is that its easier to transfer visa rather than to start again that is what i mean. and so some companies like to withhold until transfer etc
Yeah, unfortunately worked for shady quasi governmental effort based in a freezone so didn't have a labour card, now working for legit organisation in Dubai - tried the transfer route, but that didn't work - UAE labour law is shite and needs radical overhaul - until they do, serious business will continue to stay away or not invest as much as they could - bumfuzzled.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

but her visa has already been cancelled...

I was encouraged to cancel - that way I got my "repatriation" costs paid out.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

but her visa has already been cancelled...

I was encouraged to cancel - that way I got my "repatriation" costs paid out.
well there is that, but not all companies will "allow" that.