Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dubai Job Offer VS UK Job Offer

Dubai Job Offer VS UK Job Offer

Old Apr 21st 2018, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

CheshireDad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Job Offer VS UK Job Offer

Hi Expats,

I am a 35 yr old, married Dad of 2. I have two job offers, one in the UK paying 85k GBP Base plus 30k GBP in bonus (~75% achievement).

The other offer is for a similar role to be based in Dubai and I have been asked to provide my salary requirements. They have said the job is mine and have eliminated other candidates.

I have 2 children at 3 yrs old and 2 year old. Will need nursery for the 3 yrs old in September.

My wife will not be working, we will require a 3 bed apartment and a car.

What should I aim for in Dubai if in the UK I am being offered 85k plus 30k bonus.

Any help would be appreciated.

CheshireDad.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Job Offer VS UK Job Offer

Originally Posted by CheshireDad
Hi Expats,

I am a 35 yr old, married Dad of 2. I have two job offers, one in the UK paying 85k GBP Base plus 30k GBP in bonus (~75% achievement).

The other offer is for a similar role to be based in Dubai and I have been asked to provide my salary requirements. They have said the job is mine and have eliminated other candidates.

I have 2 children at 3 yrs old and 2 year old. Will need nursery for the 3 yrs old in September.

My wife will not be working, we will require a 3 bed apartment and a car.

What should I aim for in Dubai if in the UK I am being offered 85k plus 30k bonus.

Any help would be appreciated.

CheshireDad.
Assuming they are not paying housing and school fees. I would seek to get 60-70k a month. i.e double the basic and ignore the bonus - it’s a really expensive place to live.

Ignore anyone who says just multiple by the exchange rate of 5.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Assuming they are not paying housing and school fees. I would seek to get 60-70k a month. i.e double the basic and ignore the bonus - it’s a really expensive place to live.

Ignore anyone who says just multiple by the exchange rate of 5.
Thanks Millhouse,

They are paying one fee per month and have not specified breakdown for housing etc.

I will hear back from them on Monday as to the salary range.

Based on forum threads and other research, I believe the 60 to 70k salaries are the kinds that are achieved for the top level jobs such as the C Level and I doubt they would stretch to those figures for a mid management level role? Could you advise please?

I don't want to move if I cannot maintain a similar lifestyle as the one we have in the UK. Higher cost of housing plus school fees negates the tax free element for me.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Let's put it another way... 85k GBP = 35k AED/month. 35k won't sustain a family of four, especially one looking to maintain a comfortable Cheshire life that is afforded on 85k/ year + bonuses.

You need around 55-60k to get a similar lifestyle. Maybe more when the kids grow up a bit and require more schooling etc. You will also want to save something (and don't trust that bonuses will come here). If your role cannot afford your lifestyle then maybe it doesn't work for you right now. As Mrs May says, no deal is better than a bad deal... in this case, it's actually true.

I'm talking total package - how it comes via benefits etc. doesn't matter.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 10:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I would seek to get 60-70k a month. .
I would too but it's unrealistic for a mid-management role, depending on sector.

Based on forum threads and other research, I believe the 60 to 70k salaries are the kinds that are achieved for the top level jobs such as the C Level and I doubt they would stretch to those figures for a mid management level role? Could you advise please?

I don't want to move if I cannot maintain a similar lifestyle as the one we have in the UK. Higher cost of housing plus school fees negates the tax free element for me.
Correct, in many lines of work, but not all. What sort of job do you do?

Think of your Dubai package differently to start with before comparing. It's an offer for a job in a different country with different costs (both literal and personal / emotional etc) so comparing random numbers without thought is hard.

3 bed apartment - 160,000 let's say.
= 13,500
Education - 60,000 will cover both kids, even though only one needs fees paid initially.
= 5,000
Cars - rent sensibly at 2500 each.
= 5,000
Flights - if not an extra then suggest 4 tickets at 4000 = 16,000.
= 1,500
Total
= 25,000

Then you need to add your salary on top. £85,000 is AED 24,500 nett.
Minus whatever rent / mortgage you pay at the moment (let's guess 1,000 quid) = 19,500.

So, to come here and be no worse off you need 25,000 + 19,500 = 44,500.

Every 5,000 dizzers that goes up you're £1,000 better off (nett), give or take...

That's one way of looking at it, work out what you want to be based here, what you need or want as the uplift to be overseas. Is it 1,000 quid a month more or 2,000 or 500 etc.

Mid management is typically around that 50k mark, depending on industry / position etc.
I think 45k is light for a family of four, if you want to make savings etc.
50-55k would be in the right ballpark, depending on what you do obviously.

Finally - don't forget this: the job pays a rate. If that rate works for you and your family situation it's great.

Good luck
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Finally - don't forget this: the job pays a rate. If that rate works for you and your family situation it's great.
Boom. That's the sensible bit.

45k for 2 kids is low, two kids, an unworking wife and a middle manager job are simply not compatible anymore. Not sure, it ever was.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 11:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Boom. That's the sensible bit.

45k for 2 kids is low, two kids, an unworking wife and a middle manager job are simply not compatible anymore. Not sure, it ever was.
Yeah, expecting more money to do a job because you have more kids etc is just mental (not suggesting that's what is being said here).
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Millhouse and Scamp,

Firstly thanks for taking time out of your Sunday to help me out here. Appreciated :-)

OK, I work in IT Sales, not sure if you have a gunge on the salaries in this field?

I am not making Dubai 'just acceptable' as a move for us, as I know this will not work out in the long run. Moving a family to a new country and all the challenges such as distance from family means there has to be something sweet about it for all involved.

So, if the company come back with an offer ~60k I'll take it otherwise I'm good in the UK.

Totally agree that the role offers a a salary and if it can't afford me I shouldn't take it.

Last edited by CheshireDad; Apr 22nd 2018 at 12:00 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

Millhouse and Scamp,

Firstly thanks for taking time out of your Sunday to help me out here. Appreciated :-)

OK, I work in IT Sales, not sure if you have a gunge on the salaries in this field?

I am not making Dubai 'just acceptable' as a move for us, as I know this will not work out in the long run. Moving a family to a new country and all the challenges such as distance from family means there has to be something sweet about it for all involved.

So, if the company come back with an offer ~60k I'll take it otherwise I'm good in the UK.

Totally agree that the role offers a a salary and if it can't afford me I shouldn't take it.
Challenges can also be opportunities, maybe the kids will love it and benefit from it, for example (just trying to make sure you think both ways).

60k would be good. If it comes back at 50k it's still worth considering if there are bonuses or regular commission on top.

Them asking you to provide your salary requirements is a bit annoying, just ask them what sort of level the role pays and you can say if it works or not. Always better to let them be the starter in negotiating.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Challenges can also be opportunities, maybe the kids will love it and benefit from it, for example (just trying to make sure you think both ways).

60k would be good. If it comes back at 50k it's still worth considering if there are bonuses or regular commission on top.

Them asking you to provide your salary requirements is a bit annoying, just ask them what sort of level the role pays and you can say if it works or not. Always better to let them be the starter in negotiating.

Ok understood. I have seen some 3 bed apartments for around 110k in the areas such as Silicon Oasis.Is it an acceptable place to live if work is going to be in Internet city?

Could you also pop down a few links to car leasing or long terms car rental firms if you know of any please?
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok understood. I have seen some 3 bed apartments for around 110k in the areas such as Silicon Oasis.Is it an acceptable place to live if work is going to be in Internet city?

Could you also pop down a few links to car leasing or long terms car rental firms if you know of any please?
You probably won't want to live in Suicide Oasis unless you don't like your wife or kids. Marina or Greens for you buddy.

Rubbish car - 1500/1800 month. Decent car, a lot more. Cheaper to buy a decent second hand car in my opinion... which adds to the start up costs of course.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

Silicon to Internet City. A journey I did for a few months back in 2011. It was pretty shit to be honest with you, solid 45mins+ without fail in the evenings.

I'd look the other way, Sports City, JVT, JVC etc. You'll definitely get good value out of a townhouse in the Springs or an an apartment in any of the above locations. Maybe even something in JLT....Commutes here can suck if long.

Long term car lease - not sure who is good or not to be honest. I hired a Lancer for 6 months (before buying) from some guys in the back of Al Quoz who my mate had hired from. All very....casual, let's say. Diamond Lease and Hertz are two I've heard good things about but others may know more. Latest I heard going rate for a Kia Sportage was 3,000 a month if that helps at all.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Silicon to Internet City. A journey I did for a few months back in 2011. It was pretty shit to be honest with you, solid 45mins+ without fail in the evenings.

I'd look the other way, Sports City, JVT, JVC etc. You'll definitely get good value out of a townhouse in the Springs or an an apartment in any of the above locations. Maybe even something in JLT....Commutes here can suck if long.

Long term car lease - not sure who is good or not to be honest. I hired a Lancer for 6 months (before buying) from some guys in the back of Al Quoz who my mate had hired from. All very....casual, let's say. Diamond Lease and Hertz are two I've heard good things about but others may know more. Latest I heard going rate for a Kia Sportage was 3,000 a month if that helps at all.
OK. Thanks guys. I will take a look at the locations mentioned. Noted regarding Suicide Oasis.

I will hopefully update tomorrow with the offer I receive. If it all works out I could be in Dubai in the Peak of the heat, Juny/July. Eek :-)

Adios for now.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

I will hopefully update tomorrow with the offer I receive.
Be lucky.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

pupdawg82 is an unknown quantity at this point

CheshireDad

Did you get the offer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.