CV trouble

Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

ADAMHOULT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CV trouble

If anyone has any info to help me at all it would be greatly received.

I am a Royal Air Force electrical engineering technician with 6 years experience. I will be leaving the RAF in February to follow my other half to Dubai, I have spent the last few months trying to get my CV to relate my vast and varied work experience to ‘civilian industry’ and I am struggling.

I have been advised several times to write a CV explaining how much projects I have worked on are worth and my roles within them but the military doesn’t work its projects for financial purposes, it does them out of necessity, we just get told to achieve an outcome and do it.

So how would you recommend I write my CV?

Also, is it worth applying for work online/registering with an agency to get work, or am I better off waiting until I get out there and try to meet people face to face? I feel that face to face would work a lot better for me but with the economy in the state it is in I am very reluctant to move to Dubai without a job lined up.

I would appreciate anybodies thoughts on my best course of action.

Regards

Adam
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:44 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CV trouble

Originally Posted by ADAMHOULT

I am a Royal Air Force electrical engineering technician with 6 years experience. I will be leaving the RAF in February to follow my other half to Dubai, I have spent the last few months trying to get my CV to relate my vast and varied work experience to ‘civilian industry’ and I am struggling.

I have been advised several times to write a CV explaining how much projects I have worked on are worth and my roles within them but the military doesn’t work its projects for financial purposes, it does them out of necessity, we just get told to achieve an outcome and do it.

Also, is it worth applying for work online/registering with an agency to get work, or am I better off waiting until I get out there and try to meet people face to face? I feel that face to face would work a lot better for me but with the economy in the state it is in I am very reluctant to move to Dubai without a job lined up.

Regards

Adam
Agencies over here are a pile of shite, you need to find someone who knows cv's and get them to give you a hand - then send it off to companies, tell them you will be in Dubai soon and try and arrange a meeting / interview.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:36 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

as for your CV, with regards to work experience... what employers want to see is a broad range of skills applied constructively to a variety of different uses. They also want to see the level of responsibility you've been given, as it shows that a/ you are capable (in theory!) and that b/ your previous employers have acknowledged your skills/talents.

So, a "typical" project experience write up would be something along the lines of:

Space Shuttle Project - approx $12 billion.
I lead a team of six engineers in trouble-shooting the stabilisation system and solved a recurring wing detachment issue using SuperSoftware XL, therefore allowing the project to be completed with minimal delays.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 10:46 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
as for your CV, with regards to work experience... what employers want to see is a broad range of skills applied constructively to a variety of different uses. They also want to see the level of responsibility you've been given, as it shows that a/ you are capable (in theory!) and that b/ your previous employers have acknowledged your skills/talents.

So, a "typical" project experience write up would be something along the lines of:

Space Shuttle Project - approx $12 billion.
I lead a team of six engineers in trouble-shooting the stabilisation system and solved a recurring wing detachment issue using SuperSoftware XL, therefore allowing the project to be completed with minimal delays.
Ahhh...

So you ARE a space cadet........
Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:18 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Ahhh...

So you ARE a space cadet........
I have many talents...
Old Nov 12th 2009, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

ADAMHOULT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Agencies over here are a pile of shite, you need to find someone who knows cv's and get them to give you a hand - then send it off to companies, tell them you will be in Dubai soon and try and arrange a meeting / interview.
Right, ok then, I thought thats what you would say but I just needed to hear it from someone rather than assuming, I guess I'll start trying to make contact with companies then.

thanks for the advice
Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:28 am
ex-expat

Right, ok then, I thought thats what you would say but I just needed to hear it from someone rather than assuming, I guess I'll start trying to make contact with companies then.

thanks for the advice
just don't pay to have your CV reworded - the biggest scam out there is to "put it in gulf format".

I tell you what... work it up and email it to me if you want to - you can pm me once you post 5 times, I think. I'll have a look over and give you some comments.

The basics to cover are:
- Personal Details (contact info.)
- Personal Profile (what makes you special)
- Skills (software? IT? Manual skills?)
- Work Experience (companies, projects, roles, achievements...)
- Education (institutions, qualifications, some details of awards and/or projects)
- Other interests (debatable, but always a good ice-breaker at interviews, plus it'll (hopefully) show you to be an interesting, well-rounded person)
- references

When you're writing it, always have in the back of your mind:
- what makes me stand out from the crowd?
- how helpful is this for the employer?
- does this show me in the best light?

CVs are difficult to do, as they have to blow your own trumpet and big up your qualities, whilst still being balanced and honest. Oh, and they have to be in impeccable English - typos or other mistakes (let alone incomprehensible text) are a do-not-pass-go trip to the bin.

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Nov 14th 2009 at 9:30 am.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the advice
Hi Adam,

Feel free to send me the CV to take a look at and give any constructive criticism or otherwise. I work for a recruitment company, and whilst your experience is not really within the remit of what we cover I still may be able to give any comments on the CV that could be of use to you.

Cheers
Old Dec 10th 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

wow only 6 years !! i think you will be very lucky for any one to even look at your cv.
i did 15 in the RAF, also in Abu dhabi, Al Ain and Dubai, mind you that was 10 years ago.
I think for you stay in the military game money for old rope, so i suppose British waste a space here in Saudi
Also Airworks in Oman.
Or Al Salam Aviation.

What type of aircraft have you worked on ???
If you have nt got a license then no one will touch you cos they can bring in cheaper staff from India etc and pay then half your wages.

sorry to be hard but it the truth dear chap.
If you had your E&I license that would be different.

Also as you may or may not know you and you better half cannot by law share the same flat

Last edited by coffindodger; Dec 10th 2009 at 3:29 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 16th 2009, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

grapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nice

Regards

Adam
First, figure out what sort of job you want. Then write the CV for the job. It's more work, but more specific. You highlight the qualities they're interested in.

A CV is a marketing exercise - you are selling yourself. To appeal to the "buyer" you have to present them with what they want. But since you are the "product", it's no good trying to sell yourself to the wrong buyer.

Keep it short, simple, relevant. And remember that your goal is to get a job interview so a CV is bait, not food.

If you were managing projects then you're a project manager, so highlight what you achieved in that role, and look for a similar position. Who you worked for is secondary to the skills you have to offer.

Instead of spending money on CV or employment consultants, buy a couple of books about writing CVs and do it yourself. Some tips here (for free ) ...

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/cv-writing.php
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grapefruit
First, figure out what sort of job you want. Then write the CV for the job. It's more work, but more specific. You highlight the qualities they're interested in.

A CV is a marketing exercise - you are selling yourself. To appeal to the "buyer" you have to present them with what they want. But since you are the "product", it's no good trying to sell yourself to the wrong buyer.

Keep it short, simple, relevant. And remember that your goal is to get a job interview so a CV is bait, not food.

If you were managing projects then you're a project manager, so highlight what you achieved in that role, and look for a similar position. Who you worked for is secondary to the skills you have to offer.

Instead of spending money on CV or employment consultants, buy a couple of books about writing CVs and do it yourself. Some tips here (for free ) ...

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/cv-writing.php
and if that doesn't work, I can teach you to suck eggs.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

grapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nice

Originally Posted by admon
and if that doesn't work, I can teach you to suck eggs.
Fantastic, thanks. I've always wanted to learn how to suck eggs .

I presume you're having a go at me but I'm a bit slow so I don't know why.