Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ajman... job offer... what do you think?

Ajman... job offer... what do you think?

Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough
Default Ajman... job offer... what do you think?

I have previously lived in Abu Dhabi but came home to the Uk about 2 years ago.

They asked me back but it will be based in Ajman. I don't think I even considered Ajman existed when I lived there before! I am a single guy and like single guy things like the odd bar or so. What's the general opinion on Ajman, is there any life there, anything to do in the evenings, the weekends? It's for at least a couple of years, so do you have to go to Dxb for nightlife, shopping, speak to anyone else English? Do westerners stick out like a sore thumb?

I really would appreciate any opinions, comments, warnings!

Would anyone know the approximate transfer time to Dxb airport and cost? Presumably all flights to London are from Dxb?

Thanks for any help...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:01 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ajman... job offer... what do you think?

there could be worse places, personally after doing 14 years in Dubai the slower pace of Ajman does appeal to me. All flights would be into Dubai then it takes about an hour to get to Ajman. I have had friend who lived there and they didn't complain about it, they saved alot of money. You are not far from various hotels on the RAK border that are licenced, Al Hamra Fort etc. If the package is right I would go for it
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Bluecat. Is Ajman dry so you have to go to RAK?

Anyone else got any info. or opinions? Info is very sparse on the net compared to Dxb or Auh. The company is suggesting it is a good opportunity for me to go and make a bit of a name for myself there. I am a bit cautious i will end up completely bored and feeling cut off from my colleagues in Auh (none of whom wish to move to Ajman), and not find many male or female friends like i did before when I was in UAE.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

cromptonenator is an unknown quantity at this point

Ajman isn't talked about much, as expats tend to be rather snobby concerning everything outside Dubai/AD

IMO, it's kind of a great place - it's more liberal than Sharjah by far, alcohol is available, rents are very, very cheap, and, importantly, power is cheap as well - in Sharjah, for example, power is now very expensive.

Living costs are lower in general - 8,000 AED in Dubai, for example, is considered rather poor, however in Ajman, that's a pretty decent salary!

Although Ajman's traffic is far worse than RAK, it's much closer to Dubai.
Ajman has a far larger local and Arab population, there are also lots of Russians, and it's also rather grotty. However, compared to the tacky pleasures of Dubai, it's quite refreshing.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the reply. TBH i didn't realise it was so close to Dubai. it's a shame my mates would be in Abu Dhabi but can't have everything.

Could anyone give me any idea on this then please...

1) Is it pretty quick and easy to circumnavigate Dubai to get on the road to Abu Dhabi

2) Is it quite an easy trip into the malls and things of Dubai (about 15 miles?) or do you just get stuck in traffic?

Thanks for any more comments
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

cromptonenator is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlackCloud
Many thanks for the reply. TBH i didn't realise it was so close to Dubai. it's a shame my mates would be in Abu Dhabi but can't have everything.

Could anyone give me any idea on this then please...

1) Is it pretty quick and easy to circumnavigate Dubai to get on the road to Abu Dhabi

2) Is it quite an easy trip into the malls and things of Dubai (about 15 miles?) or do you just get stuck in traffic?

Thanks for any more comments
1) Not that easy - it depends which time you are going because of the traffic. Basically, during the Rush Hour, your best bet is to go from Emirates Road onto Sharjah's Dhaid Road, for a few kilometres past the airport to get to Bypass Road- which completely bypasses the city of the Dubai, which eventually takes you to a road connecting with AD - apologies, have never travelled along bypass road to it's entirety.

2) Taking Bypass, it's a long trip, because of it's distance out in the desert, taking Emirates road or Sharjah's Ittihad road is just trafficked if you wish to go to the Mall at time where everyone else wants to go.

- Honestly, it doesn't look far by map, but it's still some distance. Dubai should become more of a weekend treat than a daily do .

There are things to do in Ajman, you just have to be resourceful. For example, if you like nice shisha (Hubbly bubbly) cafes with great food, Ajman has many- Mall culture is far less prevalent here, with many preffering to go to the numerous "discount centres" - items priced at 5 AED or less.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Greatly appreciate that response, it puts it in great perspective.

just need to ask this then... are there any 'beer bars' in Ajman, like the british or irish type pubs of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, or is it just a few quieter hotel bars for getting out? I'd be trying to meet a few new friends?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

What's your package?

You coul live in Mirdiff on the nothern side of Dubai and which has a large expat population, and commute to Ajman daily for work.

Mirdiff to Ajman is probably half a hour as you'd be going against the regular traffic flow.

As a single guy you're much better off in Dubai. Based in Mirdiff gives you easy access to bars in Festival City, Bur Dubai joints and out in New Dubai.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Ethos, I think the package will be them giving me accomodation within Ajman. Sadly this may be a hotel apartment - it's not clear yet. I had my own apartment when I worked in AUH, but this time around they seem to have done away with freedom of choice.

Whilst I won't be looking for some of the single guy paid-for 'pleasures', it would still be nice to find some real people to meet in a bar and maybe make some friends (male or female). Hotel bars tend to be quiet whereas the 'pubs' tend to mean bumping into and chatting with a few guys out for a beer. It's either that or stay at home watching Airwolf on Showtime!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:41 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ethos, I think the package will be them giving me accomodation within Ajman. Sadly this may be a hotel apartment - it's not clear yet. I had my own apartment when I worked in AUH, but this time around they seem to have done away with freedom of choice.

Whilst I won't be looking for some of the single guy paid-for 'pleasures', it would still be nice to find some real people to meet in a bar and maybe make some friends (male or female). Hotel bars tend to be quiet whereas the 'pubs' tend to mean bumping into and chatting with a few guys out for a beer. It's either that or stay at home watching Airwolf on Showtime!
are you joining a radio station?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

No, just a regular company training.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:52 am
Concierge

a friend of mine lives in Ajman, he sends this message

there's around 8 bars in 3 different hotel type places, beer is about 22/pint, plenty of single guys here and the "Outside Inn" is about to get new owners and be relaunched in the new year with British owners/staff/chef etc....

sounds good to me
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks... might have been more encouraged if he had said 'some single ladies too' but doesn't sound quite so much of a wilderness as i was first lead to believe... just got to wait and see now what develops.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 6:24 am
Concierge

Thanks... might have been more encouraged if he had said 'some single ladies too' but doesn't sound quite so much of a wilderness as i was first lead to believe... just got to wait and see now what develops.
take it, you will be fine
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

Coopersda is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a sausage fest, not great for a single (presumably) hetro guy so you will probably save money not having a gf to buy expensive things for!!

Good luck with your decision

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.