Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi offer... thoughts?

Abu Dhabi offer... thoughts?

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi offer... thoughts?

Hi all,

My wife has been offered a job in Abu Dhabi; we're still awaiting the salary details but in terms of a package we'll both get free furnished accomodation, return flights, medical insurance and shipping allowance. It's just us, no dependants, but we have about £6k of debt to pay off in the UK.

According to dubaifaqs etc, my wife's salary would be between 12,000 and 16,500 dhs per month.

I've used the spreadsheet calculator so have a basic idea of what we'd need, but just wondered if any thoughts/reassurance on the lowest in that range we should accept in order to be able to live 'happily'; ie. not have to just sit in our flat all weekend eating baked beans because we can't afford to go anywhere!

Of course, I'm hoping to find work sharpish, ideally before I leave; we just can't afford to be losing money while we're there should I not be able to find anything.

Also, in terms of salary offers, how easy/acceptable is it to counteroffer or present a case for needing an extra 2,000 a month and so on? Is it the same as the UK, ie. push but don't take the p**s?

Thanks,

dA

Last edited by driftingaway; Mar 2nd 2014 at 10:32 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi offer... thoughts?

Hi Diriftingaway,

What does your wife do? sounds low to me and wouldn't warrant upping sticks- would be fine as a second income if you had a job on 30K upwards + benefits, but if you are thinking you'll live off that I think you will be very disappointed. You certainly wouldnt have anything left at the end of the month even on the 16.5k. What trade are you in?- will you be able to get work over here? Unless you have a job I wouldn't take it personally.

Sorry to be the voice of doom!

KC
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to negotiating the job, work out what number is going to make it worth your while, thats your number, if the can't match it then it isnt the job for you. Once you get here it's hard to get increases based on the costs of living etc so make sure you get what you you need to have the lifestyle you want. If they say no they say no.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Kittycat,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm a realist, but also live in London in a tiny 1 bed flat with very little disposable income, so we're certainly not unused to struggling to make ends meet.

My wife is a secondary school teacher. The salary scale, as I say, is based on dubaifaqs but does say it may not be accurate. So I'm jumping the gun a little in that we have no idea how much she'll be offered in reality.

I have 8 years' experience as a PR officer/manager, so I'd be looking at getting a job in that field - from B2B/corporate PR to social media management. I do have some colleagues in the UK with contacts in Dubai who have offered to help, but ideally I'd like to find work in AD.

I'd expect around 25k AED/month as a minimum for my level - though I'd presume if I get any benefits they'd cancel out my wife's, so it'd be better to be on a local package (so I can move jobs if need be etc)...

I guess I just need to start looking now - even though we wouldn't be due to fly until mid August. Making contact with some possible employers early can't hurt...

Last edited by driftingaway; Mar 2nd 2014 at 8:27 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Based on the research that we've done, that's a decent salary when everything else is included. The big thing is if you have kids, make sure you get an education allowance.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

No kids. 15k + housing is good for a single, ok<ish> for a couple. i.e you won't stave but it won't be a total blast.

You get a job - even earning 5-10k and the game changes totally.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Check that your wife will be allowed to sponsor you for a visa - I've recently come across 1 or 2 western expat teachers, on low salaries, who were deemed too junior/badly paid to sponsor their husband.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies, all. You've confirmed what we'd calculated; that it's liveable if we tighten our (already London-tight) belts, but really need that 2nd income to make it a great experience.

I'm reasonably confident that I can get a job out there - even if I have to commute to Dubai, where the PR industry is bigger.

We've accepted their final offer of 15k, which was also the lowest we felt we could accept. The fact that we'll have furnished accomodation from day one will obviously help with up-front costs a fair bit, and the school has suggested we wouldn't neccessarily need a car to commute.

So yes. We arrive in August. Here's to something new, whatever it turns out to be
Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:12 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Thanks for your replies, all. You've confirmed what we'd calculated; that it's liveable if we tighten our (already London-tight) belts, but really need that 2nd income to make it a great experience.

I'm reasonably confident that I can get a job out there - even if I have to commute to Dubai, where the PR industry is bigger.

We've accepted their final offer of 15k, which was also the lowest we felt we could accept. The fact that we'll have furnished accomodation from day one will obviously help with up-front costs a fair bit, and the school has suggested we wouldn't neccessarily need a car to commute.

So yes. We arrive in August. Here's to something new, whatever it turns out to be
Anything more than a ten minute walk will leave you very sweaty during May-Oct. In the height of summer, if you cant get a taxi within five minutes you may as well go back home and get changed. I would say a car is pretty much essential.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Anything more than a ten minute walk will leave you very sweaty during May-Oct. In the height of summer, if you cant get a taxi within five minutes you may as well go back home and get changed. I would say a car is pretty much essential.
Thanks - good to know. Does a minicab system exist, ie. you wait in your lobby staring out the window for it to arrive, or am I expecting too much?

To be fair, I'd feel a bit trapped without a car. We've calculated we could afford a lease of around 2,500aed/month until I get a job, then we'd ideally trade up to something bigger/safer.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Thanks - good to know. Does a minicab system exist, ie. you wait in your lobby staring out the window for it to arrive, or am I expecting too much?

To be fair, I'd feel a bit trapped without a car. We've calculated we could afford a lease of around 2,500aed/month until I get a job, then we'd ideally trade up to something bigger/safer.
deffo get a car - you will go insane without it.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:39 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
deffo get a car - you will go insane without it.
You'd be dead before you went insane. 10 minutes outside during the day in the summer isn't viable on a regular basis.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

ADteacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Which school is your wife going to be working in?