Abu Dhabi Offer

Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all
Default Re: Abu Dhabi Offer

Originally Posted by Millhouse
1500 AED on a night out for two without food in a dive bar? WTF are you drinking? Does this include the cost of 2 hookers as well?
Nope very easily done 2x38 AEd (unhappy hour prices =76 per round. 1500 doesn't go far, especially if there are a couple of taxis in there and maybe an entry fee for him depending on where we go
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
Nope very easily done 2x38 AEd (unhappy hour prices =76 per round. 1500 doesn't go far, especially if there are a couple of taxis in there and maybe an entry fee for him depending on where we go
what bar is this? I've always thought AD quite a cheap place to drink (21AED/pint).

Still - 1500, less 100 in taxis and a 100 entrance fee is 1200 on drinks... or 15 drinks each...
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

deposits are not reoccurring expenses.
90 / 12 is not 10k a month
food isn't much different to UK in my opinion - as long as you are not stupid

25k is totally possible for two in AD but they will not be bathing in lattes - remember he will get a job at somepoint (can't do nothing for ever or he will get bored). If he gets a 10-20k IT job then they will be doing quite well.

costs explode when you have kids. IF a teacher can live on a 15k package (10k salary, 5k free house) and save a little (which they do), then I'm sure they can live on 25k.
Free housing goes for a lot, also teachers are almost always given furnished accommodation, they also get freebies in bars almost every night of the week. 2 Cannot live as cheaply as one that is a well proven myth
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

what bar is this? I've always thought AD quite a cheap place to drink (21AED/pint).

Still - 1500, less 100 in taxis and a 100 entrance fee is 1200 on drinks... or 15 drinks each...
Yes 15 drinks each Millhouse, If I go out at 9pm (assuming a few in the house before hand) and come back at 4am how many would you think we'd have?

21 a pint tends to be a happy hour type price, not unusual now for it to be well above that in decent places that have loo roll and no damp problems
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Free housing goes for a lot, also teachers are almost always given furnished accommodation, they also get freebies in bars almost every night of the week. 2 Cannot live as cheaply as one that is a well proven myth
It's the total package. 10k + 5k housing is the same as 15k salary. I don't get a free house, but I made sure they pay me enough so I can afford one. Just like anywhere else.

Teachers may get free drinks in bars... but if that is the only outlet to spend your money then... well, that's a bit sad actually.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

It's the total package. 10k + 5k housing is the same as 15k salary. I don't get a free house, but I made sure they pay me enough so I can afford one. Just like anywhere else.

Teachers may get free drinks in bars... but if that is the only outlet to spend your money then... well, that's a bit sad actually.
If thats the way you are going to be about it, but in good conscience, I couldn't possibly say to anyone, yes go on give up a great lifestyle, 2 decent jobs and come to AD for 25k, sure yes, you will keep a roof over your head and go out very occasionally if you want to try and save anything at all. It can be done, but to maintain an upper middle class lifestyle, I really don't think so.

The OP is under 30 with a good life at home and is concerned for his career prospects, to say he'll get a job eventually is not really where he's coming from, if you read his original post.

As far as your comments regarding it being sad to want to go out and enjoy yourself, then sad I'll be any day of the week. Abu Dhabi doesn't have much else to offer and what it does have is just as expensive as going to restaurants and bars, I was simply trying to give the Op an indication to the cost of living here which is quite different from the UK.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If thats the way you are going to be about it, but in good conscience, I couldn't possibly say to anyone, yes go on give up a great lifestyle, 2 decent jobs and come to AD for 25k, sure yes, you will keep a roof over your head and go out very occasionally if you want to try and save anything at all. It can be done, but to maintain an upper middle class lifestyle, I really don't think so.
How do we know all this? A 20-25k / year job in Bolton for an under 30 would be a 'great job'. You have inferred so many things. I'm simply saying 25k + second income when it comes will afford a nice lifestyle here - which you cannot deny. Only the OP can decide how it compares to his current life and prospects etc., not us.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

How do we know all this? A 20-25k / year job in Bolton for an under 30 would be a 'great job'. You have inferred so many things. I'm simply saying 25k + second income when it comes will afford a nice lifestyle here - which you cannot deny. Only the OP can decide how it compares to his current life and prospects etc., not us.
If I follow your logic then for any post on the board I'll say, who knows, only you can know the answer to that one!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vik7

Really need some help guys as we are in very good jobs in the UK and it would be a massive sacrifice for me to give up my job here for a pipe dream in the UAE. we are both under 30 with no debts if that clears anything up

thanks
This is all that matters in your post.

Both of you have very good jobs, so unless you find a better offer here, or want to leave the UK for some personal reason, there is absolutely no way you should think of moving for a 25k offer for one of you
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maxima
This is all that matters in your post.

Both of you have very good jobs, so unless you find a better offer here, or want to leave the UK for some personal reason, there is absolutely no way you should think of moving for a 25k offer for one of you
Well said and thank you, this is exactly what I was saying in my initial post
Old Nov 5th 2012, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

vik7 is an unknown quantity at this point

so i ask what is the minimum we should be asking to support 2 of us and still be able to go out for dinner once/twice a week?

We just want to move from the UK. We may be in good jobs but it doesnt mean we are happy. i just want somewhere warm where i can play a bit of golf and just be happy. The bank have mentioned that if we had kids scholling will be provided free of charge. We have money saved for deposits and initial set up. I just need to know for general running costs and lifestyle will we be ok.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

so i ask what is the minimum we should be asking to support 2 of us and still be able to go out for dinner once/twice a week?

We just want to move from the UK. We may be in good jobs but it doesnt mean we are happy. i just want somewhere warm where i can play a bit of golf and just be happy. The bank have mentioned that if we had kids scholling will be provided free of charge. We have money saved for deposits and initial set up. I just need to know for general running costs and lifestyle will we be ok.
Another 10-15k to be on the safe side and save a bit
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Golf is not cheap here....
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

about 25k

have you checked out the calculator?