Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Old May 23rd 2013, 2:34 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Originally Posted by expathopeful
I rent in the UK at the minute and dont own my own place..... plus I just paid nearly 2 grand for my sofa....
Sell it or store it at a friend's it will be a lot more expense and ball ache than it's worth.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, i seem to be getting somewhere... but with no help from the company.

My shipment of goods weighs in total 192KG, my allowance is 350KG so I thought I'd be covered.

My shipping company has touched base with Abu Dhabi, and they've used an amazing formulae stright out of one of my daughters KS1 maths book and advised that my shipment is 850KG. Clearly this isnt true, but thats how they work it.

As all shipping by sea is measured in Cubic Feet, they have a formulae that converts this into KG. I dont know what that is exactly but heres my best stab at it:

My consignment is 280 Cubic Feet, but youre just going to have to disregard the fact it ACTUALLY weighs 192KG. They're saying that it equates to 850KG so:

280 divided by 850 = 0.329117 blah blah, call it 0.33

So each 0.33 cubic foot is 1 KG. Meaning my allowance of 350Kg gets me the grand total of ...... 15.5 Cubic Feet in shipping which is enough for a few small boxes.

This means I will be reimibursed a fraction of my consignment, but seems as its all booked in and paid for there is little I can do. At least you guys can learn from this though.

I did think it was too good to be true, that they would give me a very healthy furniture allowance and pay for furniture to be shipped over, but I asked time and time again and was told by HR that it would be ok. As I said in a previous post though, its a small dent in the grand scheme of things.......... Heads up people who are moving....... DO NOT PLAN ON BRINGING ALL YOUR FURNITURE UNLESS YOU WANT TO PAY FOR IT YOURSELF!!

Regards,

EH. ps. 8 days to go
thats not bad, we were given an extra 10kgs each....!
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, i seem to be getting somewhere... but with no help from the company.

My shipment of goods weighs in total 192KG, my allowance is 350KG so I thought I'd be covered.

My shipping company has touched base with Abu Dhabi, and they've used an amazing formulae stright out of one of my daughters KS1 maths book and advised that my shipment is 850KG. Clearly this isnt true, but thats how they work it.

As all shipping by sea is measured in Cubic Feet, they have a formulae that converts this into KG. I dont know what that is exactly but heres my best stab at it:

My consignment is 280 Cubic Feet, but youre just going to have to disregard the fact it ACTUALLY weighs 192KG. They're saying that it equates to 850KG so:

280 divided by 850 = 0.329117 blah blah, call it 0.33

So each 0.33 cubic foot is 1 KG. Meaning my allowance of 350Kg gets me the grand total of ...... 15.5 Cubic Feet in shipping which is enough for a few small boxes.

This means I will be reimibursed a fraction of my consignment, but seems as its all booked in and paid for there is little I can do. At least you guys can learn from this though.

I did think it was too good to be true, that they would give me a very healthy furniture allowance and pay for furniture to be shipped over, but I asked time and time again and was told by HR that it would be ok. As I said in a previous post though, its a small dent in the grand scheme of things.......... Heads up people who are moving....... DO NOT PLAN ON BRINGING ALL YOUR FURNITURE UNLESS YOU WANT TO PAY FOR IT YOURSELF!!

Regards,

EH. ps. 8 days to go

quite often you get a furniture allowance here or they pay for shipment, not both
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by busybee2
quite often you get a furniture allowance here or they pay for shipment, not both
Thats what I thought but the HR guy kept telling me it was ok.

A minor set back and as you said, a learning curve and preperation for life in the Muddle East :-)
Old May 23rd 2013, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

don.govender is an unknown quantity at this point

Well on my side..I was told last week that the final approval would be done this week..and it's the end of the week again..No responses yet....hmmmmm..
Expathopeful, when did you have your interview ???
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by don.govender
Well on my side..I was told last week that the final approval would be done this week..and it's the end of the week again..No responses yet....hmmmmm..
Expathopeful, when did you have your interview ???
So just to clarify, have you had an offer yet? I had my interview on January 12th in London but I didn't get my offer until early April. I hated being in you position, but you can't do anything but wait. And I don't know what you was promised by TS in regards to salary, but I know the offer will be lower than what you're expecting, so be prepared for that mate.
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Expatwifesa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,my hubby was interviewed in february in S.a and is out there now in Abu Dhabi arrived there a week ago.He is a engineer and very happy with the whole process of Al Hosn. At the moment there are no other Brits there or South Africans and the plant does not open until mid june.He is staying in a 5* hotel for two weeks then moved to a apartment until our apartment comes through which will take another 6 wks.You have to find your own home without use of a agent because Al Hosn do not pay there commission, so basically you walk round and see where you like and find the landlord and do the deal yourself. So do your homework on propeties before you leave. Regards expat wife.
Old May 23rd 2013, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

not sure if you can PM yet so sent you an email
Old May 24th 2013, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

VenExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

So just to clarify, have you had an offer yet? I had my interview on January 12th in London but I didn't get my offer until early April. I hated being in you position, but you can't do anything but wait. And I don't know what you was promised by TS in regards to salary, but I know the offer will be lower than what you're expecting, so be prepared for that mate

Three months waiting for the offer?...That look like that I'll have to wait.
Old May 24th 2013, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Hello Colin, I thought I would get a reply quick off someone out there.Are you British or South African, anyway congratulations to you too.The accomadation story like I said ,you just have to walk to the area which you like which we picked the cornishe,find a tower walk in ask if there,s vacancies they will give you a landlords number ,you phone and go and see.Al Hosn will pay for no agents fees,whether you can take it out of your allowances and get a agent not sure, also not allowed fully furnished accomadation. My husband still looking for us not found yet but you have 10 days to find. Your mornings are busy running round with admin visa,s more medicals, ID cards,ect but your afternoons free to look round.He is in the Sheraton Hotel and enjoying every minuite of it room service too
Old May 24th 2013, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Expatwifesa
Hello Colin, I thought I would get a reply quick off someone out there.Are you British or South African, anyway congratulations to you too.The accomadation story like I said ,you just have to walk to the area which you like which we picked the cornishe,find a tower walk in ask if there,s vacancies they will give you a landlords number ,you phone and go and see.Al Hosn will pay for no agents fees,whether you can take it out of your allowances and get a agent not sure, also not allowed fully furnished accomadation. My husband still looking for us not found yet but you have 10 days to find. Your mornings are busy running round with admin visa,s more medicals, ID cards,ect but your afternoons free to look round.He is in the Sheraton Hotel and enjoying every minuite of it room service too
Hi :-)

Glad to hear you get 10 days, i was worried it was only 7, and June 6th is a bank holiday over there so thats one day down already. Ive got several places lined up already and Im booked in with agents ready to show me round. Maybe once Ive seen the place I'll try and find out who the landlord is and go direct. If I cant Ive budgeted for the fees so it'll be ok.

My wife is staying at home too. I tried to get them to put us up in an apartment but they weren't having any of it. Im British by the way
Old May 24th 2013, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Hi Expatwifesa,

I was told in the interview that Al Hosn has a list of landlords that they use to deal with.... Is that true?... Has your husband tried with them?
Old May 24th 2013, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

expathopeful, please, don't forget us once you get there.
Old May 24th 2013, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Yes he was given the numbers but wanted to look round himself at the towers we had picked, so keeping all crossed for nxt week that he finds something we like,You would have thought they would have sent the wives over to home hunt as us ladies can be very fussy.
Old May 24th 2013, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

British too, Birmingham lassBeen in S.A for 9 years now looking forward to the middle east. My hubby said there,s not a camel in sight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.