Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Yin's EAD granted in Atlanta - and a question

Yin's EAD granted in Atlanta - and a question

Old Nov 4th 2001, 3:24 pm
Vermyndax

Hey all... we trekked off to Atlanta on Thursday, stayed overnight... then did the
EAD thang in Atlanta on Friday morning.

Took us about 1 hour, 15 minutes to get the card. The woman working in room 104 was
pretty efficient.

As a sidenote... as of 7:00am EST there were over 100 people in line when we arrived
(and we thought we got there early!)

Now for my question: our letter from Atlanta stated that their timeline for I-485
processing is 36 months (!)... so we're looking at having to renew EAD two more times
before getting a green card. Do we have to completely reapply for the EAD, drive to
Atlanta, etc. every time? What happens with that?

--Alexander

Old Nov 4th 2001, 11:19 pm
Rita

"Vermyndax" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

You got it. Apply for a renewal card 90 days before the expiration of the one she now
has. She will get a letter inviting her to come to Atlanta to pick it up. Do this
again and again and again until she either AOS's or Atlanta INS changes its
procedure.

Rita

Old Nov 5th 2001, 11:18 am
Andy Platt

If you are a K-1er you might find your timeline is much shorter than that ... recent
K-1 applicants have got interviews a few months after applying. Let's hope they keep
up expedited K-1ers AOS times!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
room
    >
    >
    >
we
    >
    >
    >
for
    >
EAD
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 5th 2001, 12:36 pm
Grinch

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I think expediting K1 is unfair on those who adjust from tourist visa's. I feel that
Tourist Visa adjusters should have priority as a thank you for not cluttering up the
service centres with Paperwork.

Grinch

Old Nov 5th 2001, 2:44 pm
Andy Platt

Grinch is just being very Grinchy and playing devil's advocate. The next thing we'll
see is him reminding me that I haven't had my AOS interview yet ...

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
I
    >
not
    >
    >
    >
for
    >
I
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 5th 2001, 3:42 pm
Grinch

>
for
    >
I
    >

As I have seen from your previous posts you understand very little. The INS do not
give a large poop whether you go the K1 or adjust from tourist visa. I suspect they
prefer tourist visa adjustees as it halves their paperwork and service centres can
concentrate on I-130 adjusters and waivers involving Andrew De ****witias fake
marriage. I have on several occasions said that the only reason the K1 exists is for
countries not lucky enough to be in the visa waiver programme and no one has ever
proved me wrong.

By the way did I ever tell you I got adjusted and became a CPR before Andy Platt?

Grinch

Old Nov 5th 2001, 3:50 pm
Paulgani

Think of it from a paperwork and resource perspective. The INS isn't a
corporation which increases its profits when more applications are filed, and
thus it strives to increase its business load. Rather, it is given a fixed budget
to process applications for a given fiscal year, and thus, the fewer applications
filed, the better.

If you go the K-1 route, you tie up the INS with your I-129F application, and then
come around AOS time, there's the I-485, EAD, AP, etc....

If you enter as a tourist instead, the INS never has to process an I-129F, and the
AOS process, in most places, is the same (minus a required medical which doesn't task
INS resources anyway, and an I-130 which is adjucated at the same time as the I-485).

Now, if you REALLY want to task INS resources the least, then DCF an I-130. The INS
doesn't know you exist until you arrive in the U.S., and then, all it has to do is
order your green card. A regular, stateside filed I-130 comes in second, with regards
to using fewer INS resources (Consular resources being a different subject entirely).

Paulgani

>
I
    >
not
    >
    >
    >
for
    >
I
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 5th 2001, 3:52 pm
Paulgani

What??? Mr. Advice Man doesn't even have his own green card yet!!?? I don't think you
should be answering any more questions, you're obviously not qualified!

Paulgani

>
    >
yet
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > <I think expediting K1 is unfair on those who adjust from tourist[/usenetquote2]
visa's.
    >
[usenetquote2]> > feel that Tourist Visa adjusters should have priority as a thank you for[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > cluttering up the service centres with Paperwork.>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I think expediting anything is unfair unless there is a VERY good reason[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > it. I cannot understand why you feel K1ers "clutter service centers".[/usenetquote2]
As
    >
[usenetquote2]> > understand it, the INS much prefer to see people going the K1 route.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Simon, UK http://members.aol.com/scjessey/[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 09/10/01 I-129F filed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 09/21/01 1st NOA[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 10/10/01 Request For Evidence[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 11/02/01 2nd NOA[/usenetquote2]