Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Yikes I had an I-130 back in 1948

Yikes I had an I-130 back in 1948

Old Jul 28th 2016, 2:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yikes I had an I-130 back in 1948

You know how you are so use to having a document and looking at it never realizing what is really on it, well I had that experience yesterday when reading my certificate of birth abroad from the State Department issued back when I came to the US in 1948. I had seen the numbers before and never connected it until yesterday.

My certificate is stamped I-130 on the back of it. Both my parents are deceased so I can't ask but I'm assuming back then since I was born abroad to unwed parents that after their marriage just before dad was sent home from serving in Germany and was allowed to bring my mom and I to the US with him, I, or possibly only my mom, needed an I-130. Now that I know a bit about immigration, I've been able to connect the dots.

I knew that the army did not allow soldiers to marry foreign brides until they had their orders to return stateside after they mustered out of the service. This is the reason why I was born before their marriage. The army would not give permission for them to marry until dad had decided not to re-up. Once that decision was made, the army gave permission to marry and I was legitimatized (as stated on the COBA).

Anyway it was only once I was legitimatized that I had US Citizenship. This part I know and yes, crg, I never had to complete a N-600 for a certificate of citizenship. I only needed to show my COBA for my passport and to be eligible to vote.

Interesting how some things have not changed.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 28th 2016 at 3:16 am.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yikes I had an I-130 back in 1948

Wow, that's quite something!

Very cool.

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2016, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
My certificate is stamped I-130 on the back of it.
Wow - what a great story!

Ian
Old Jul 28th 2016, 1:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Very Cool.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 11:36 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating story, Rete!
Old Jul 29th 2016, 1:17 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Good vintage 1948
Old Jul 29th 2016, 2:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I thought the old time regulars would enjoy this piece of historical info. Shame that dad had to leave the service. He was a career soldier and returned home to a city where its major employer moved south to the Carolinas and he found himself unemployed, along with half the town. My only regret is that I was unable to retain my German citizenship. You never know in another lifetime I might be born again in another European city (I vote for Amsterdam).