Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Yet another I-864 question

Yet another I-864 question

Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yet another I-864 question

Ok this has probably been asked many times and ive looked at a few threads and just want to make myself feel better by getting a nice straight anwser (because my husband is freaking out i did this wrong)

The I-864 - we took it to the bank to get it notarized, as known there is no real space on the form for it to be notarized like the previous I-134

So we put a big cross through the section on the last bit of the form (where it is for people who have prepared the form for the petitioner)

then wrote in the big blank space under it "Notarized By:" followed by the signature and notary stamp and the date.

This wont cause a problem will it? Please ease the anxious mind of my husband before he drives me up the wall!

thanks
Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:57 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another I-864 question

PC,

Why in the world did you take the I-864 to be notarized? It's entirely unnecessary.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
Ok this has probably been asked many times and ive looked at a few threads and just want to make myself feel better by getting a nice straight anwser (because my husband is freaking out i did this wrong)

The I-864 - we took it to the bank to get it notarized, as known there is no real space on the form for it to be notarized like the previous I-134

So we put a big cross through the section on the last bit of the form (where it is for people who have prepared the form for the petitioner)

then wrote in the big blank space under it "Notarized By:" followed by the signature and notary stamp and the date.

This wont cause a problem will it? Please ease the anxious mind of my husband before he drives me up the wall!

thanks
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

because we werent 100% sure on it and had to go to pick up the letter from them anyway so....better safe then sorry right?

oh except this is the 3rd letter the bank have managed to mess up so we get to go back tomorrow.

the letter has to have date it opened, current balance, amount deposited in the last 12 months and account holder name....

they missed out the current balance on the first one, the date it opened on the second one and now on the one we picked up today the 12 months deposited thing. Im annoyed with it.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The I-864 does not need to be notarized, but it probably won't hurt anything since you've done it.

Unless you're using savings as an asset, you also don't need a letter from the bank.

Rene
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The I-864 does not need to be notarized, but it probably won't hurt anything since you've done it.

Unless you're using savings as an asset, you also don't need a letter from the bank.

Rene
I'll have to re-read the instructions I thought it was just a requirment with all the other stuff they wanted. ie.bank statements, pay slips etc.

Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:11 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
Hi:

It should be noted that the current October 2008 version of the I-134 now has the "declaration under of penalty of perjury" magic language and need not be notarized.

The I-864 was finally modified to have the magic language back in 2006.

Curiously, Federal law has allowed for use of the magic language since 1976 [yes, seventy-six -- more than 30 years]. The magic language is "I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the foregoing is true and correct. Dated: xx/xx/xx" followed by a signature.

The authorization is at 18 USC 1746. Actually, I have modified the forms for some years since notarization is not practical in many instances.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to re-read the instructions I thought it was just a requirment with all the other stuff they wanted. ie.bank statements, pay slips etc.

I think they list bank statements as an option, along with any other various optional proof of you current income and/or assets. But in my opinion, if you are using income on the I-864, having a letter from a bank saying you have an account there and a balance there, still does not prove you have current income. However, if you're using assets (savings), then yes, having a bank letter showing how much has been in your savings account for a certain amount of time, will be helpful.

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2009, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

As an additional point -- "notarized by:" does not set forth a valid notarial act. However, since the declaration language is still there, the defective notarization is a superfluity.