Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Yet another Affiidavit of support question...help???

Yet another Affiidavit of support question...help???

Old Jan 20th 2003, 5:37 am
bikinikitty

Default Yet another Affiidavit of support question...help???

My situation.....

I am a USC living in Austtralia for the last 2.5 years. I am in the
process of breinging my australian husband back to the state with me
ans we plan to do it by DCF in sydney.

i am confused with form I-864, the affidivit of support. Now, i DO NOT
have sufficiant income as his sponsor and realize that i will need to
get a joint sponsor, who meets the same requirements, which i have
done, so that is not a problem.

My Question is....::: on the affidavit of support I (the sponsor) am
meant to put my individual income and employment. I have not worked
while living in australia (i am a housewife), so my husband earns the
income. Is this going to be a problem? I mean is the Joint Sposors
income alone acceptable.(yes, they do meet 125% of poverty level for
there entire household AND the applicant) or do i have to have SOME
sort of personal income?
Thanks in advance!!

Old Jan 20th 2003, 7:30 pm
Fflewddar

Default Re: Yet another Affiidavit of support question...help???

Hi,

I'm a US citizen trying to go in the states with my husband, and I
also don't earn any income, and am filing a cosponsor affidavit form.
I don't think it's a problem if you don't personally earn any money.
All you should need is to meet that 125% from your sponsor person

However I do have a question if anyone can respond to please do so!!!!
I posted this in a seperate thread but got no replies:

My Mother and Father have agreed to sponsor me and my husband. They
both signed and notarized the I-864A form. Me and my husband will be
living with them when we get in the US.

On the forms it says that each cosponsor must INDIVIDUALY meet the
125% poverty guidline. My parents don't meet that individualy, only
their income combined meets it. Is this a problem? They both live in
the same household, and me and my husband will be living with them as
well. So does it mean individual person, or individual household?

Thanks for any help!
-Fflewddar

Old Jan 20th 2003, 7:48 pm
Michael Voight

[email protected] wrote:

> My Question is....::: on the affidavit of support I (the sponsor) am
    > meant to put my individual income and employment. I have not worked
    > while living in australia (i am a housewife), so my husband earns the
    > income. Is this going to be a problem?

You would put your own income, not your husband's.
If you don't work, you would put 0 if you have no income of your own.

Old Jan 20th 2003, 8:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Michael Voight
[email protected] wrote:

> My Question is....::: on the affidavit of support I (the sponsor) am
    > meant to put my individual income and employment. I have not worked
    > while living in australia (i am a housewife), so my husband earns the
    > income. Is this going to be a problem?

You would put your own income, not your husband's.
If you don't work, you would put 0 if you have no income of your own.
Not true. They have been married more than 6 months and her husband's income goes on the I-864A if he desires to do so.

Rete
Old Jan 21st 2003, 8:15 am
Just Joined

bikinikitty is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply rete, Can i still put my husbands income on the I-864A even if he is the immigrant? I know the I-864 is meant for other household members, but it doesn't specify if that includes the immigrant,(my husband).

And do you know if me (the sponsor) not having any income or employment of my own, or the fact i am a housewife will affect the decision of weather or not i get a visa? (I DO have a co-sponsor who earns more than enough.)

Thanks for your help...
Old Jan 21st 2003, 4:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bikinikitty
Thanks for the reply rete, Can i still put my husbands income on the I-864A even if he is the immigrant? I know the I-864 is meant for other household members, but it doesn't specify if that includes the immigrant,(my husband).

And do you know if me (the sponsor) not having any income or employment of my own, or the fact i am a housewife will affect the decision of weather or not i get a visa? (I DO have a co-sponsor who earns more than enough.)

Thanks for your help...
I-864 , completed by you. Your income= zero. Your husband/household income listed as an attachment. There is a space provided that discusses it, but you must detail it on a separate sheet.
I-864-A completed between you and your husband.
I-864 completed by your father
I-864A completed between your father and mother

If your husband's income is sufficient, and/or your joint assets are sufficient (5x1 of value) you may not need a co-sponsor. Have the forms completed, take them with you and ask the Consul during your interview (or let them ask you).
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 8:58 am
Just Joined

bikinikitty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there, ok, I get what you are saying. YES, my husbands income IS enough (125%). But what i don't understand is how that will be acepted because it is what he earns now,... here in australia. wouldn't it be a obvious that he would no longer have THAT income when he moved to the US? ( he would have to quit because he was moving). I thought they looked at ongoing income. Of course, he would get a job when we arrived in the states.....
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 12:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bikinikitty
Hey there, ok, I get what you are saying. YES, my husbands income IS enough (125%). But what i don't understand is how that will be acepted because it is what he earns now,... here in australia. wouldn't it be a obvious that he would no longer have THAT income when he moved to the US? ( he would have to quit because he was moving). I thought they looked at ongoing income. Of course, he would get a job when we arrived in the states.....
OK, I get what you're saying, too. All that I can relate is my own experience and encourage you to think creatively and confidently.

The Consul knows that you both live in Australia and that likely neither of you has income in the States. Their job is to make sure that your husband not become a burden to the State, specifically through Federal means-tested benefits such as welfare, food stamps and Medicare.

Your job is to show how you will keep him from doing so. True, my husband has pension income, so that did follow him. But in interviewing me (off the job since 9/00 by choice), she wanted to know my prospects. This is her *discretionary choice*. She looked at my past income, asked me if I had any job offers or leads, what field I would be looking in etc.

In other words, though the I-864 form is limited to its 12 pages or whatever, you are not limited as to what you can include *with* it ie: editorial content. Now, I'm a professional salesperson, so of course my Addendum pages were written to instill confidence in the face of none-too-inspiring facts and make the case for my FUTURE financial success. I backed it up with home equity (foget my abused retirement portfolio, tho I stuck it in there too). Husband done any job prospecting in the States? I don't think you need an offer, just showing due dilligence. Perhaps you have assets that you haven't counted to see how they will help you. Home and/or personal property you will sell to make the move? The Consul *will* decide your case on its individual merits.

At any rate, if your folks are OK with co-sponsoring, it's a bit of a moot point, as long as you understand how the forms come together.

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted.