Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Yay, received my Green Card!

Yay, received my Green Card!

Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

PaulClaytonRana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Yay, received my Green Card!

I thought I would update you guys on how things went - perfectly as it happened!

I received my new SS card with the new name in a reasonable amount of time, while I was waiting I took some practice theory tests and passed them so as soon as the card arrived I went straight to the Licensing office. The woman was a little taken aback by a guy changing his name and took a moment to understand what I was requesting but after she realised what was going on she was helpful and got my details entered into the system.

When she was done I had to go and take the theory test which I passed (I missed 4 questions on the theory test and one on the signs test, I don't know what the passing grade was). After that it took only a moment for her to take my photo (as the poster above mentioned it was nice to be able to smile) and then print my license there and then.

Using my license and SS card in my new name I was able to get put on my wifes bank account (we had waited until now so not to have to go back when my name changed) and now I am completely changed over. The one exception is my green card which I will change when I remove conditions in a little under 2 years. I don't mind waiting because as Ian said I shouldn't ever need it apart from international travel.

The next step for me is a) remove conditions and b) find a job. The second part is proving hard (not harder than expected, I know what the market is like!), as a result I'm looking at getting some qualifications while I look. Luckily my wife doesn't mind supporting me, though I guess it doesn't matter if she did as she is still legally obliged to!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulClaytonRana
The next step for me is a) remove conditions ....
But not for another couple of years, right? Didn't you just recently become a PR?

Rene
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:09 am
Just Joined

PaulClaytonRana is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I didn't want to repeat the same sentance I said in the previous paragraph, sorry if I wasn't clear.