Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Working towards joining my wife in California – an introduction

Working towards joining my wife in California – an introduction

Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Jamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really nice
Default Re: Working towards joining my wife in California – an introduction

Originally Posted by dj6372
Welcome to BE, and a preemptive welcome to California!
Thank you!
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Jamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really niceJamster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pugilation
Welcome aboard! I'm about to get on a plane to Texas and get married on my K1, so different process but same end result. I've found this forum to be a great resource and very welcoming too
Thank you and congratulations!

How did you find the immigration process?
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Welcome!

I am a recent graduate of the spousal visa marathon. We sent the I-130 at the beginning of February 2016. Interview was 6 December and I arrived here (Seattle) on 19 December. Started my new job this week.

Patience is a virtue!
Thanks! Haha yes, I think marathon is a good term for it but I'm glad you made it and got a job so quickly
Old Jan 6th 2017, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamster
Having to say goodbye every time isn't getting any easier and we can't wait until we can be living together for good!

I fly out to see my husband for my birthday in February - it'll be the first time we've seen each other since our wedding in September. So crazy to think we only have to face one or two more goodbyes before they're a thing of the past for us. How surreal that must be, for any and all of us going through this!

Once that I-130 is in, it really does make everything feel all the more real and all the more close, doesn't it. (Husband disagrees with me here - for him, the time is always dragging - but good grief, does it not seem to be moving quickly for me, suddenly!)

Keeping everything crossed for that NOA2 for you very soon.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 11:59 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

We came over on a work visa for my husband and with all the tying up of loose ends I only moved over full time 12 months after him and our sons. I was over with them for less than 4 months during that time. Yes it is frustrating but worth it in the end.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find the time will drag forever, and then suddenly you don't have enough time!!

You'll be dawdling around thinking oh I'll sell the telly to 'what's his name' next week, sell the couch to the neighbors in a month, then all of a sudden its, ah bollocks sell it to anyone on eBay, shit I fly tomorrow lol
Old Jan 7th 2017, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Plus you have all that paperwork to get in order for your visa and then for your move to the US.

Just going to the doctor, alone, to get your vaccination records and having what missing vaccinations you need before your Knightsbridge medical will take a few weeks. Then there is the need to get your police compliance certificate (ARCO?) which is needed for the medical.

On the UK front you need get the paperwork together to declare your non-residency.

Then there are the friends and family you want to see before you leave for either a night of drinking and eating and merriment and some with tears and hugs. Never know when will be the next time you will be able to return to visit. Some aren't able to get back for several years due to lack of vacation time in the US and costs or new babies in the household.

I moved recently just from one state in the US to another and I still can't believe all the things that needed to be done in regards to banking, voter registration, automobile registration, swap of driver's license, etc. I'm finally caught up after 7 months.

As Ian likes to say, focus on the goal, not on the journey.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 3:16 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find the time will drag forever, and then suddenly you don't have enough time!!

You'll be dawdling around thinking oh I'll sell the telly to 'what's his name' next week, sell the couch to the neighbors in a month, then all of a sudden its, ah bollocks sell it to anyone on eBay, shit I fly tomorrow lol

I totally agree with this!

I spent all summer thinking "I'll get around to clearing that cupboard next month" and other such things. I felt like I had forever to do it all. And I lived in one room, just me, so it should have been fairly simple.

But before I knew it I was in my final days and on the day before I flew I was racing around in a total panic about not having enough time. I left for the airport and realised I had forgotten some clothes in the dryer and there was milk in the fridge. But so what? After almost 7 months since I last saw my husband I wasn't going to worry about leaving some clothes behind. I wasn't moving to the middle of nowhere. Everything material can be replaced here.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamster
Thank you and congratulations!

How did you find the immigration process?
Quite straightforward in the end, although there are parts which are pretty intimidating for sure! Other people's stories from the forum have definitely helped to alleviate a lot of the stress. Basically, follow the instructions, ask for clarification if you think you need it, and you'll be fine

Of course, everyone's circumstances are different, and your mileage may vary!
Old Jan 7th 2017, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I totally agree with this!

I spent all summer thinking "I'll get around to clearing that cupboard next month" and other such things. I felt like I had forever to do it all. And I lived in one room, just me, so it should have been fairly simple.

But before I knew it I was in my final days and on the day before I flew I was racing around in a total panic about not having enough time. I left for the airport and realised I had forgotten some clothes in the dryer and there was milk in the fridge. But so what? After almost 7 months since I last saw my husband I wasn't going to worry about leaving some clothes behind. I wasn't moving to the middle of nowhere. Everything material can be replaced here.
Oh for sure, I've got a bit of packing left to do and I'm finding that I really couldn't care less about 10 pairs of socks i found in a bag that I hadn't accounted for yet.
My sister has a new sofa, TV and a raft of electronics and I still bought her a good Christmas present!
Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KK85

I fly out to see my husband for my birthday in February - it'll be the first time we've seen each other since our wedding in September. So crazy to think we only have to face one or two more goodbyes before they're a thing of the past for us. How surreal that must be, for any and all of us going through this!

Once that I-130 is in, it really does make everything feel all the more real and all the more close, doesn't it. (Husband disagrees with me here - for him, the time is always dragging - but good grief, does it not seem to be moving quickly for me, suddenly!)

Keeping everything crossed for that NOA2 for you very soon.
Glad you guys get to see each other soon. Gotta make the most of every chance you get while you're waiting!

Time was definitely moving quickly before Christmas but ever since I got back its slowed right down again
Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lizzyq
We came over on a work visa for my husband and with all the tying up of loose ends I only moved over full time 12 months after him and our sons. I was over with them for less than 4 months during that time. Yes it is frustrating but worth it in the end.
Glad it worked out! Yes it's definitely gonna be worth the wait.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Haha that's so true about time in general. I found that was the case for the whole of university – how quickly it went. Right now, 6 months or so seems like a long time when in reality I can remember every detail from my wedding day and that was 6 months ago! No reason why time should slow down now
Old Jan 8th 2017, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Plus you have all that paperwork to get in order for your visa and then for your move to the US.

Just going to the doctor, alone, to get your vaccination records and having what missing vaccinations you need before your Knightsbridge medical will take a few weeks. Then there is the need to get your police compliance certificate (ARCO?) which is needed for the medical.

On the UK front you need get the paperwork together to declare your non-residency.

Then there are the friends and family you want to see before you leave for either a night of drinking and eating and merriment and some with tears and hugs. Never know when will be the next time you will be able to return to visit. Some aren't able to get back for several years due to lack of vacation time in the US and costs or new babies in the household.

I moved recently just from one state in the US to another and I still can't believe all the things that needed to be done in regards to banking, voter registration, automobile registration, swap of driver's license, etc. I'm finally caught up after 7 months.

As Ian likes to say, focus on the goal, not on the journey.
Good advice. It's definitely easy to put the blinkers on in terms of the immigration process itself, when in reality there are so many other things that come with moving country. I'm sure there will be plenty of distractions and things to be getting on with while we wait.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 3:43 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

ACRO (not ARCO) police report is required for the NVC for spouses, long before the medical! The best time for spouses to apply for it is when the I-130 is close to being approved (about 5 months after it was sent unless your file was recently sent to the Texas service centre). Fiancés don't need it until the medical.

Getting vaccination records was easy for me. Computerised records have made it that way. Made an appointment with the GP during my lunch break one day to look through the record to see what was missing, asked him to type up a report as I have been treated for depression before (including hospitalisation), came back during lunch break a few days later for the missing vaccine to be administered, picked up the report that the doctor had done and the receptionist printed my vaccine record there and then. Took no more than 20 minutes each time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.