working on a k-1

Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:36 am
Just Joined

bujuburge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working on a k-1

Hiya
I've my interview soon for a K-1 visa but working is looming as a big problem.
My work in the U.K. was on a yearly contract basis and so I've had to turn down a renewal because I hope to go to join my fiancee in the U.S.
However, by the time I go I will have been jobless for about three months (in the best case scenario) and Im worried that it may take more than 90 days to obtain a work permit there.
A friend of the family has had to wait nearly 6 months for a work permit even after getting married. I want to believe this is unusual but am I kidding myself?
How long does it normally take to be able to work?

Any help much appreciated
Old Jan 12th 2004, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice
Default Re: working on a k-1

To give you some idea...my timeline =)

entered on K-1 August 8th 2003
Married Oct 12th 2003
Applied for EAD/AOS Oct 20th 2003
Receipt Dated Oct 30th 2003
Still no Work Authorisation/EAD yet. Will be going to the office to get it in a couple of weeks if they dont contact me before then!
My application had to go through Vermont as I live in their area... the time to get EAD very much depends where you are going to be living...

Lee