Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

will only have a tax return for THIS year, OK?

will only have a tax return for THIS year, OK?

Old Dec 16th 2002, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

FlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to all
Default will only have a tax return for THIS year, OK?

I was travelling across the US and then spent a year helping a friend start a business. I did not make above the minimum to even file a tax return for those 3 years because I took that time off to see the country and lived off savings. I will have a tax return for this year that I can use after december 31 with more than enough income. Will that do if I include a letter stating that I was traveling and not working and show a copy of the statute that clearly states that I don't have to file? I really do not want to have to involve someone else as a co-sponsor.

FR
Old Dec 16th 2002, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: will only have a tax return for THIS year, OK?

Originally posted by FlightRisk
I was travelling across the US and then spent a year helping a friend start a business. I did not make above the minimum to even file a tax return for those 3 years because I took that time off to see the country and lived off savings. I will have a tax return for this year that I can use after december 31 with more than enough income. Will that do if I include a letter stating that I was traveling and not working and show a copy of the statute that clearly states that I don't have to file? I really do not want to have to involve someone else as a co-sponsor.

FR
Hi:

It is common misconception that one has to show that they made the 125% poverty level for the last three years. This is not so. I've done several cases where college sweethearts married upon graduation and had good jobs upon graduation -- no problem.

You either have to give the three years tax returns OR give an explanation for NOT filing -- insufficient income is just fine. If you show CURRENT income sufficient to meet the 125% guidelines, then you are OK.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Scarlet196 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my husband was in the same situation as you he took time out to go back to college, and lost his tax returns in the move from Texas to England and wrote a letter explaining that. Friday that has just gone i had my interview at the london embassy, and the INS officer said that he could not process my visa without the missing tax returns.

So my husband went down to his Local Auth and explained the situation, they printed his tax returns for 99 and 2000. As long as you can show that you earn over the poverty amount and have a letter from your employer you should be fine.

All the best
Old Dec 17th 2002, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeles73 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just thought of something:

If the co sponsor lives with the petitioner, does the co sponsor have to make enough to support the whole house, or just himself and the beneficiary?

I'm asking because reading some websites it seems that if you have a co sponsor that lives with you and you do not make enough but the cosponsor that lives with you does and you do not claim them then they are their own household. That person needs to make enough to support himself and the beneficiary at 125%. Is this correct? I am assuming the I-134 does not allow combining incomes like the I-864 since it does not state that.

ange

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

It is common misconception that one has to show that they made the 125% poverty level for the last three years. This is not so. I've done several cases where college sweethearts married upon graduation and had good jobs upon graduation -- no problem.

You either have to give the three years tax returns OR give an explanation for NOT filing -- insufficient income is just fine. If you show CURRENT income sufficient to meet the 125% guidelines, then you are OK.