Wife Visa

Old Feb 6th 2007, 10:47 am
Software Engineer

Malcovitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wife Visa

Hi All,

I'm a British citizen currently in Chile with my Chilean wife and our two year old. We're planning to go back to the UK as soon as possible. The Embassy here has told me that my wife needs a "Wife Visa" in order to be able to work when we get back. Can anyone direct me to more information on this? I need to know what this means in terms of health care with regard to using the NHS. We plan to have another child at some point. As I've not worked in the UK for over four years, I've not paid NI or tax. I've heard that you can pay contributions from abroad, but I don't know how (I have a UK bank account). Presumably, I need some form or other from the Inland Revenue.

Apologies if these questions have already been answered somewhere else - there are quite a few threads in this forum!!

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife Visa

Originally Posted by Malcovitch
Hi All,

I'm a British citizen currently in Chile with my Chilean wife and our two year old. We're planning to go back to the UK as soon as possible. The Embassy here has told me that my wife needs a "Wife Visa" in order to be able to work when we get back. Can anyone direct me to more information on this?
Start at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

If you have been married over 4 years outside the UK she may be eligible for a permanent settlement visa. Provided she applies before 1 April. Otherwise she gets a 2 year spouse visa, which will be upgraded to permanent residence after 2 years in the UK.

Your child is a British citizen (by descent) provided you were born or naturalised in the UK (or Channel Islands, Isle of Man). If that's the case, just get the child a British style birth certificate and British passport from the Embassy.

I need to know what this means in terms of health care with regard to using the NHS. We plan to have another child at some point.
You will all be entitled to use the NHS immediately as soon as you move back to the United Kingdom.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:51 pm
Software Engineer

Originally Posted by JAJ
You will all be entitled to use the NHS immediately as soon as you move back to the United Kingdom.
Thanks for the reply. I know I will, but how about my wife?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:09 pm
learner

Seebs is just really niceSeebs is just really niceSeebs is just really niceSeebs is just really niceSeebs is just really niceSeebs is just really niceSeebs is just really niceSeebs is just really nice

Originally Posted by Malcovitch
Thanks for the reply. I know I will, but how about my wife?
Yes, her too and your child.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:10 pm
Software Engineer

Ok, thank you! (Didn't read the original reply properly, oops...)

Last edited by Malcovitch; Feb 13th 2007 at 9:12 pm. Reason: error