British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Where to start people? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/where-start-people-701394/)

chrissie12 Jan 19th 2011 1:59 pm

Where to start people?

hey every1:)

I am a bit confused on a few things here, I'll give u a rough background first off.

I live in N.Ireland, I'm a mature student that is studying @ uni after I finish I have in mind to move to the states with my partner, (I do have relatives living there e.g. Aunt + Uncle.)
I know, they cannot sponsor me because they arent my immediate relatives.

So what are my options here? bear in mind I'm doing an archaeology degree and there arent many archaeology jobs in Minnesota ( I thought it would be better to have a degree in order to move to USA) , however graduates can go right into management graduate programmes that will ensure employment e.g. retail stores, etc. (This I have checked ) I have worked in retail the majority of my life so that would contribute. Also I have a trade in Beauty Therapy. Yep jack of all trades:D

What type of visa would I be able to go for?
How long would a visa take? 2-3 yrs?
What is the deal with a green card, would my partner and I be able to apply for 1?
Would I have to get married to my partner first prior to applying for a Visa?

Jerseygirl Jan 19th 2011 2:05 pm

Re: Where to start people?

Originally Posted by chrissie12 (Post 9113307)

I am a bit confused on a few things here, I'll give u a rough background first off.

I live in N.Ireland, I'm a mature student that is studying @ uni after I finish I have in mind to move to the states with my partner, (I do have relatives living there e.g. Aunt + Uncle.)

So what are my options here? bear in mind I'm doing an archaeology degree and there arent many archaeology jobs in Minnesota ( I thought it would be better to have a degree in order to move to USA) , however graduates can go right into management graduate programmes that will ensure employment e.g. retail stores, etc. (This I have checked ) I have worked in retail the majority of my life so that would contribute. Also I have a trade in Beauty Therapy. Yep jack of all trades:D

What is the deal with a green card, would my partner and I be able to apply for 1?

This thread is similar to the first thread you opened.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...84#post9035184

chrissie12 Jan 19th 2011 2:09 pm

yea but not many people gave me constructive advice that time, so thats why I have posted it again:)

TracyTN Jan 19th 2011 2:09 pm

Your only real option, based on the circumstances you describe, is to get here through your significant other - either as a fiancee or a spouse - K1 and CR1 visas respectively. (I'm also assuming this isn't a same sex partner - the term 'partner' can go either way.)

This site has a lot of information about the process once you've established how you will qualify for a visa (through your SO).

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

ETA I'm not sure if that's 'constructive' enough advice, but neither is asking 'people' where to start. LOL

chrissie12 Jan 19th 2011 2:13 pm

thanks:D, but he (my partner) is also from N.Ireland. its totally confusing on the visa that you can apply for, if you cant get sponsored by your family or work.

TracyTN Jan 19th 2011 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by chrissie12 (Post 9113334)
thanks:D, but he (my partner) is also from N.Ireland. its totally confusing on the visa that you can apply for, if you cant get sponsored by your family or work.

Oh, I apologize - I thought you meant your partner is a US citizen.

And yes - your options are basically non existent if you do not qualify through your family or work. Sorry to disappoint you on that. I can't imagine a scenario in which you would qualify for a work visa given what you describe. You'd basically have to find a US employer to sponsor you, which will be a stretch given they can likely find a US employee to do the same job.

lisa67 Jan 19th 2011 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by chrissie12 (Post 9113319)
yea but not many people gave me constructive advice that time, so thats why I have posted it again:)

As I read your previous post I see plenty of constructive advice, probably not the advice you wanted to hear, but nothing has changed.....the answers you'll be given will be the same :confused:

chrissie12 Jan 19th 2011 2:32 pm

I know I thought the exact same:) , but which website (if any) would there be a list of employers that would sponsor me through a work visa,because I have checked online and nothing seems to come up whatsoever.

SarahG Jan 19th 2011 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by chrissie12 (Post 9113370)
I know I thought the exact same:) , but which website (if any) would there be a list of employers that would sponsor me through a work visa,because I have checked online and nothing seems to come up whatsoever.

There is no website that lists employers. There may be some websites that say they can give you a list (H1Base springs to mind) but they are a scam. My OH has a degree and it took us a long time to get a visa for him to be able to work here. Even now we are only here for the duration of our visa which is until 2012. Maybe your best option is to try to find a job in a big company with US offices and try to get a transfer after working in the UK for a while. If either you or your OH are from N. Ireland then you could apply for the Diversity Lottery. At the moment it looks like you're staying where you are.

TracyTN Jan 19th 2011 2:43 pm

I know of no website that lists companies willing to shell out for H1b visas. I would assume its not something most companies advertise. Did you not read the 'Pulaski's Ways' wiki as was suggested in the other thread? Or is it more a case of you think if you ask again, the answers will change? I hate to be harsh, but you're just going to have to face the fact that you likely have no way to get yourself a US visa.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

avanutria Jan 19th 2011 2:57 pm

Your best bet may be for each of you to apply for the DV lottery (if you were both born on the island of Ireland, north or south) and hope your number comes up!

Duncan Roberts Jan 19th 2011 3:42 pm

but which website (if any) would there be a list of employers that would sponsor me through a work visa

I can sell you a list if you want, I guarantee it will contain at least 10 companies that have sponsored H1-b visas. Not sure why you would want one though because any list would be pointlessly out of date by the time it was compiled.

meauxna Jan 19th 2011 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by chrissie12 (Post 9113319)

Every post in there asked you questions that you didn't bother to come back and answer.

It's not KFC, you don't just rock up and place your order for "advice". :blink: It's a discussion forum, where, you know, you discuss...

BILDER Jan 19th 2011 4:01 pm

there is no points system here in the United States. Just having a piece of paper saying you have a degree won't help one iota. You need to find a company that would be willing to sponsor you, then having a degree may be useful (then again, only if it corresponds to the job you are hired for).
As it stands now, barring the DV lottery (which we still have no idea if you are eligible for), you have no way of legally immigrating to the US.

ian-mstm Jan 19th 2011 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by avanutria (Post 9113414)
Your best bet may be for each of you to apply for the DV lottery (if you were both born on the island of Ireland, north or south) and hope your number comes up!

I believe only NI is eligible.

Ian

ian-mstm Jan 19th 2011 6:53 pm

There is no visa type that matches your skill set. You can both enter the DV lottery if you were both born in NI.

Infinitely long... until such time as you're eligible for a visa.

Not without a sponsor, no.

Only if you want your partner to get a derivative visa.

Ian

BILDER Jan 19th 2011 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9113886)
I believe only NI is eligible.

Ian

I think S. Ireland is eligible.
http://dublin.usembassy.gov/visa_lottery.html

ian-mstm Jan 19th 2011 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by BILDER (Post 9113931)
I think S. Ireland is eligible.

No, they're not - a notice on a web site doesn't make it so.

Ian

Horus Jan 19th 2011 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9114077)
No, they're not - a notice on a web site doesn't make it so.

Ian

I beg to differ - we entered this year.

The US treats Ireland as Ireland - not Northern and Southern. NI is the only part of the 'UK' that's eligible for the DV lottery as it's joined onto the Republic

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 19th 2011 8:54 pm

I thought it was called the Irish Visa?

Anyway there are certain things I do not get.

Archeology Degree requires a certain amount of self discipline, ability to research etc. Would that not also suggest the ability to do a modicum of research about its ability to be a gateway to US Immigration?

The last time I looked the major sponsoring companies were in IT and Indian.

Archaeology, well somebody must have been sponsored, probably by a Uni.

Horus Jan 19th 2011 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 9114257)
I thought it was called the Irish Visa?

I hope so - still have nearly 4 months to wait until we know if we've 'won'...not holding my breath :(

ian-mstm Jan 19th 2011 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Horus (Post 9114250)
NI is the only part of the 'UK' that's eligible for the DV lottery as it's joined onto the Republic

You're absolutely correct. My bad... apologies to you, BILDER, and avanutria. Don't know what got into my head!

Ian - retreating with egg on his face! :( ... need more coffee!

Horus Jan 19th 2011 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9114456)
You're absolutely correct. My bad... apologies to you, BILDER, and avanutria. Don't know what got into my head!

No worries - that's what a forums for :D

First time I've looked at the US section - very interesting and very informative.

If the DV lottery doesn't work out might be looking at an E2 so founds loads of info tonight! :thumbsup:

(Also now know not to start up a pool cleaning company)

BILDER Jan 19th 2011 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9114456)

No worries, I too wasn't sure. S'all good.

Noorah101 Jan 20th 2011 2:55 am

bear in mind I'm doing an archaeology degree and there arent many archaeology jobs in Minnesota...

Why do you have to move to Minnesota? Perhaps there are archeological sites in more remote areas of the USA? Perhaps you can do some further degree work in the USA as a stepping stone? Perhaps a university will sponsor you to do archeological research on a J-1 visa? If I were you, this is probably where I'd start looking...

Rene

nettlebed Jan 20th 2011 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9114990)
Why do you have to move to Minnesota? Perhaps there are archeological sites in more remote areas of the USA? Perhaps you can do some further degree work in the USA as a stepping stone? Perhaps a university will sponsor you to do archeological research on a J-1 visa? If I were you, this is probably where I'd start looking...

Rene

OP says that they have family in the US, so I'd assume the family are in MN.

BILDER Jan 20th 2011 3:14 am

What kind of archaeology?
Dinosaurs= Montana area (I think)
Native American= basically anywhere in the US

Has he thought about getting a master's and becoming faculty somewhere?

nettlebed Jan 20th 2011 3:17 am

Originally Posted by BILDER (Post 9115007)
What kind of archaeology?
Dinosaurs= Montana area (I think)
Native American= basically anywhere in the US

Has he thought about getting a master's and becoming faculty somewhere?

Dinosaurs are paleontology (the study of ancient life), not archeology. Archeology is the study of ancient human cultures.

BILDER Jan 20th 2011 3:31 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 9115013)
Dinosaurs are paleontology (the study of ancient life), not archeology. Archeology is the study of ancient human cultures.

Totally true! Very interesting wiki read. I learned something today!

nettlebed Jan 20th 2011 3:35 am

Originally Posted by BILDER (Post 9115031)
Totally true! Very interesting wiki read. I learned something today!

Glad to be of service!

Noorah101 Jan 20th 2011 5:04 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 9115002)
OP says that they have family in the US, so I'd assume the family are in MN.

I figured that, but they don't HAVE to live there. The way it was worded, sounded like they had no choice.

Rene

chrissie12 Jan 20th 2011 9:57 am

Meauxna , there is no call to be rude to me It's not KFC, you don't just rock up and place your order for "advice". It's a discussion forum, where, you know, you discuss
Nooran - the reason I want to move to Minnesota is because I have relatives living there so I thought it would be a good starting point, and thanks for your comment about studying in the USA it was really informative:)
Bilder - Yes I am thinking about doing a MA in Cultual and Museum studies, it seems to be on every job description to become an archaeologist or the obvious museum curator.
To everyone else I appreciate your comments, thank you very much:thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 20th 2011 10:05 am

Originally Posted by chrissie12 (Post 9115568)
Meauxna , there is no call to be rude to me It's not KFC, you don't just rock up and place your order for "advice". It's a discussion forum, where, you know, you discuss
Nooran - the reason I want to move to Minnesota is because I have relatives living there so I thought it would be a good starting point, and thanks for your comment about studying in the USA it was really informative:)
Bilder - Yes I am thinking about doing a MA in Cultual and Museum studies, it seems to be on every job description to become an archaeologist or the obvious museum curator.
To everyone else I appreciate your comments, thank you very much:thumbsup:

So you are going to do a MA in the US. That makes more sense.

I presume you have looked at the likelihood of getting a job bearing in mind you need sponsorship?

meauxna Jan 20th 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by chrissie12 (Post 9115568)

Please let me know when it is time to start then. Before you ignore what people have taken the time to write for you, or after?

Please, I don't think you are the one to give me lessons on being rude or not.

chrissie12 Jan 20th 2011 7:58 pm

I appreciate the pleasant response

E3only Jan 20th 2011 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by chrissie12 (Post 9116683)
I appreciate the pleasant response

I will try and ask you some questions to see how much you have thought about it and I don’t mean to be rude but being honest with you

- Do you know the unemployment rate in US?
- Do you know the cost to a company that would want to hire / sponsor you?
- Further, can you tell us what you have that many Americans (unemployed and ready to work NOW – don’t require no visa) don’t have for someone to sponsor you
- Why do you want to move here? – other than having a good time, being around friends and ‘my life is boring where I am (UK?)’
- What is your research – which visa are you eligible for
- Do you think you have the skill / education / experience that you can sell? That you can use as a draw card?

These are the basic questions you should ask yourself. US is a notoriously difficult market to crack. Trust me on that! It took me 2 years to get close to finding a job (by that time I had a Bachelors, Masters, CPA and CMA (almost)) + 8 and a bit post Masters Experience AND 10+ years over all experience.

The reason I am telling you all this is, you really need to stand tall vs. the competition for anyone to even bother reading up your resume. Sure, if you have unique skills anything is possible.

You have to read up more on 1. H1B visa 2. DV Lottery. 3. B-2 visa for Cohabitating partners

chrissie12 Jan 20th 2011 11:23 pm

will try and ask you some questions to see how much you have thought about it and I don’t mean to be rude but being honest with you

- Further, can you tell us what you have that many Americans (unemployed and ready to work NOW – don’t require no visa) don’t have for someone to sponsor you
- Why do you want to move here? – other than having a good time, being around friends and ‘my life is boring where I am (UK?)’
- Do you think you have the skill / education / experience that you can sell? That you can use as a draw card?

These are the basic questions you should ask yourself. US is a notoriously difficult market to crack. Trust me on that! It took me 2 years to get close to finding a job (by that time I had a Bachelors, Masters, CPA and CMA (almost)) + 8 and a bit post Masters Experience AND 10+ years over all experience.

The reason I am telling you all this is, you really need to stand tall vs. the competition for anyone to even bother reading up your resume. Sure, if you have unique skills anything is possible.

You have to read up more on 1. H1B visa 2. DV Lottery. 3. B-2 visa for Cohabitating partners

unemployment rate in Minnesota is 6.6%
cost of the company wanting to hire/sponsor you I roughly think it would cost $3,000
Further, can you tell us what you have that many Americans (unemployed and ready to work NOW – don’t require no visa) don’t have for someone to sponsor you - probably not as much cos I'm only doing my degree and was told that I would have to go on to do a MA
Why do you want to move here? – other than having a good time, being around friends and ‘my life is boring where I am (UK?)- I have family living over there and I previously worked temporarily in the USA as well and I enjoy the way of life over there, there is more opportunities over there compared to where I live, also you get more for your money over there property wise as compared to the UK is pretty expensive
What is your research – which visa are you eligible for - I dont know tbh, I think I probably stand more of a chance with the DV lottery as N.Ireland does not have a high immigrant rate compared to other places
Do you think you have the skill / education / experience that you can sell? That you can use as a draw card? well not particularly at the mo because I have to finish my archaeology degree then go on to do MA in cultural and musuem studies but I was looking online @ http://online.onecenter.org/link/summary19-3091.02 and the jobs in as an archaeologist amd museum curator/technicians are all in the Bright Outlook category which means that these jobs are set to grow within the next several years and I would need 5 years experience alongside the qualifications.

Bloody hell you have loads of qualifications :thumbup: what advice would you give to someone like myself to stand out from the crowd skills/career wise? would I have to go on and do a post-grad, or is that a bit extreme?

Thanks very much:D

BILDER Jan 20th 2011 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by chrissie12 (Post 9117083)
will try and ask you some questions to see how much you have thought about it and I don’t mean to be rude but being honest with you

unemployment rate in Minnesota is 6.6%
cost of the company wanting to hire/sponsor you I roughly think it would cost $3,000
Further, can you tell us what you have that many Americans (unemployed and ready to work NOW – don’t require no visa) don’t have for someone to sponsor you - probably not as much cos I'm only doing my degree and was told that I would have to go on to do a MA
Why do you want to move here? – other than having a good time, being around friends and ‘my life is boring where I am (UK?)- I have family living over there and I previously worked temporarily in the USA as well and I enjoy the way of life over there, there is more opportunities over there compared to where I live, also you get more for your money over there property wise as compared to the UK is pretty expensive
What is your research – which visa are you eligible for - I dont know tbh, I think I probably stand more of a chance with the DV lottery as N.Ireland does not have a high immigrant rate compared to other places
Do you think you have the skill / education / experience that you can sell? That you can use as a draw card? well not particularly at the mo because I have to finish my archaeology degree then go on to do MA in cultural and musuem studies but I was looking online @ http://online.onecenter.org/link/summary19-3091.02 and the jobs in as an archaeologist amd museum curator/technicians are all in the Bright Outlook category which means that these jobs are set to grow within the next several years and I would need 5 years experience alongside the qualifications.

Bloody hell you have loads of qualifications :thumbup: what advice would you give to someone like myself to stand out from the crowd skills/career wise? would I have to go on and do a post-grad, or is that a bit extreme?

Thanks very much:D

Ok, how, where and why did you work in the US before? What visa?

chrissie12 Jan 20th 2011 11:58 pm

I was on a cultural exchange programme that involved me working in Atlanta Georgia for the Atlanta Urban League doing administrative duties, it was a J1 visa, but that was 6 years ago

BILDER Jan 21st 2011 12:00 am

Originally Posted by chrissie12 (Post 9117142)

I was on a cultural exchange programme that involved me working in Atlanta Georgia for the Atlanta Urban League doing administrative duties, it was a J1 visa, but that was 6 years ago

Ah ok. As long as you worked legally.